The Student Room Group

I voted Brexit AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbblitz
Question - What do you think about Scottish independence?

I ask because I find that almost everyone who voted to protect "quintessential British culture" completely disagree when I say I want to protect "quintessential Scottish culture" which is funny.

Being half Scottish I guess I am "qualified" to have a say, my stance in it is there's no difference between Scottish and English culture, therefore we should all be united, as the United Kingdom (clue is in the title!), to preserve that same culture - it irks me that the British Isles has become, or wants to become, seperate entitities with seperate currencies and seperate this and that, that's the Republic of Ireland included there.
Nirvana198

Tongue in cheek in part, but come on British women are amongst the best in the world.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Treblebee
Man, move on! It's not the Victorian era! I suppose you live on a diet of bread and chicken? Don't even go to MacDonald's - it's too American. Sushi, of course, is out of the question. What do "beautiful women" have to do with anything? Have you seen the Danish? Or the Australians? As an educated British citizen, you must surely have read some Dickens at some point. Do you really want to go back to that, as the world moves on around you? I totally get that every country is proud of itself, and wants to be independant and all to some extent - that's good, and completely natural - but History is quite merciless there: even if Brexit does happen, the rest of the world hasn't gone in a time-machine back to "Rule Britannia"!

Dickens is my favourite author, yes we can't regress back to a time of great social inequality, extreme poverty, bleak industrial landscapes etc etc, but have you ever thought, that "migration", that is to use the catch all term for refugees and asylum seekers too; don't you think that that, is regressing our country, primarily for the people that need it most?? On one end of the scale you have the Tory government making austerity cuts left right and centre, (but mostly right, badum-tish), and then these only effect the most vulnerable like the sick and the out of work, that's not even up for debate - and on the other side of the scale these same people (call them "the working classes" if you will), are facing extreme competition for social housing and "unskilled" jobs from people from another country, who some people in society (and people usually higher up the social ladder, incidently) seem to think are somehow justified, it's about the priniciple of fairness, ulitmately, unfortuantely if your "lot" in life is to be a mechanic in Poland, then why not accept that? It's not like there's a huge difference in lifestyles, maybe there's a much better culture in the UK, maybe not, (and for the record Polish women are also very very beautfiul :redface:mg: ), but why "should" people "jump the queue"? You woulldn't be allowed to do it in the dinner hall at school, so why here? Not economic migrants as such, only in terms of employment in blue collar industires, why do you think there's a correalation of unemployment with mass immigration?) my main gripe is social housing - as I am currently in the process of perhaps needing to rent a flat from the council due to my hosuing status, and I know as a single British male with no children I do not stand a chance, and (let's use the "immigrant" catch-all-term again for a second to include asylum seekers and refugees); how on earth should someone from another country be given precedence over someone who has lived, worked, and contributed their whole live? It's just not right, or is it, am I missing something? Now you wonder, where I lived up until a few weeks ago; Wythenshawe, Manchester - the largest housing estate in Europe at one time; somewhere with it's fair share of socio-economic problems, granted (but from my volunteering with the main social housing trust and community project I have seen the good side too, there are good and bad things and people everywhere). But, the hotel there (I'm not 100% sure if it's still the case), has been completely (and I mean the whole lot), used as a place to house Syrian refugees, talk about flaunting it in front of you). Now, the level of education in Wythenshawe (myself being an exception ho ho ho) isn't very high, there are very few graduates (I'm not orig. from there). But, the local people are pissed off about it, and some of them don't have the nuance (again a loose term) to insightfully rationalise the situation. There's a lot of Polish moved in, Arabs, and a hell of a lot of Africans. Now, where are the British people going to live? You get a pinch effect, a housing shortage occurs. "White flight" occurs. Devaluation of property occurs. Not "ghettoisation" as such as the minority population is a minortiy, but other areas of Manchester certainly.

My point being, you can't just give someone something they don't deserve or they're not entitled to, just because some people think it's "fair", or "cruel" not to do so, I am unsatisfied with life in the UK, can I get a beachside villa in Barbados???

You see my point?
Original post by wolfmoon88
apparently white= beautiful ok... :rofl:

No :colonhash: Not at all, it's the mix of cultures that makes British women so beautiful I say, and British culture as a whole.
Original post by RogerOxon
Whilst I'm British, I've lived in California for 9 years. The US has a similar sentiment polluting the election - somewhat odd for a country founded by immigration. The UK was ahead of the US in terms of welcoming different races and cultures, not that there haven't been issues. I'm extremely concerned that there is a resurgence of racism behind some of the leave vote.

I find it sad that so many do not want to be European - the world needs more mixing of people, not less. Whilst the EU is far from perfect, and many countries want reform, it was succeeding in improving relationships between most of its people, IMO.

The UK has economically punched above its weight for a long time, but it's unlikely to continue indefinitely. Having the option for its citizens to live and work anywhere in the EU is a massive benefit, both for employees and employers. I lived and worked in Paris for 4 years, and may retire somewhere in Europe. Without reciprocal healthcare, British retirees living in Europe are going to be left in an impossible position.

At least we'll have an National Health Service, a national treasure imo.

Yes, I concur, living and working abroad will be tougher, but surely it will halt the "white flight" effect; ex-patriates moving abroad on the premise that "the country is screwed". They'll be sizeable ex-pat communities all over the EU always, and worst comes to worst you can come back to Old Blighty, where you have everything you need but sunshine!
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Yes, I concur, living and working abroad will be tougher, but surely it will halt the "white flight" effect; ex-patriates moving abroad on the premise that "the country is screwed".

I wouldn't be surprised to see an increase in the Brits moving abroad as a result of Brexit. It's a myth that reducing immigration leads to higher-paying jobs for the current residents - it's the same BS that Trump is selling.
Still waiting for an answer... so much for "Ask Me Anything"!
Dickens is my favourite author, yes we can't regress back to a time of great social inequality, extreme poverty, bleak industrial landscapes etc etc, but have you ever thought, that "migration", that is to use the catch all term for refugees and asylum seekers too; don't you think that that, is regressing our country, primarily for the people that need it most?? On one end of the scale you have the Tory government making austerity cuts left right and centre, (but mostly right, badum-tish), and then these only effect the most vulnerable like the sick and the out of work, that's not even up for debate - and on the other side of the scale these same people (call them "the working classes" if you will), are facing extreme competition for social housing and "unskilled" jobs from people from another country, who some people in society (and people usually higher up the social ladder, incidently) seem to think are somehow justified, it's about the priniciple of fairness, ulitmately, unfortuantely if your "lot" in life is to be a mechanic in Poland, then why not accept that? It's not like there's a huge difference in lifestyles, maybe there's a much better culture in the UK, maybe not, (and for the record Polish women are also very very beautfiul :redface:mg: ), but why "should" people "jump the queue"? You woulldn't be allowed to do it in the dinner hall at school, so why here? Not economic migrants as such, only in terms of employment in blue collar industires, why do you think there's a correalation of unemployment with mass immigration?) my main gripe is social housing - as I am currently in the process of perhaps needing to rent a flat from the council due to my hosuing status, and I know as a single British male with no children I do not stand a chance, and (let's use the "immigrant" catch-all-term again for a second to include asylum seekers and refugees); how on earth should someone from another country be given precedence over someone who has lived, worked, and contributed their whole live? It's just not right, or is it, am I missing something? Now you wonder, where I lived up until a few weeks ago; Wythenshawe, Manchester - the largest housing estate in Europe at one time; somewhere with it's fair share of socio-economic problems, granted (but from my volunteering with the main social housing trust and community project I have seen the good side too, there are good and bad things and people everywhere). But, the hotel there (I'm not 100% sure if it's still the case), has been completely (and I mean the whole lot), used as a place to house Syrian refugees, talk about flaunting it in front of you). Now, the level of education in Wythenshawe (myself being an exception ho ho ho) isn't very high, there are very few graduates (I'm not orig. from there). But, the local people are pissed off about it, and some of them don't have the nuance (again a loose term) to insightfully rationalise the situation. There's a lot of Polish moved in, Arabs, and a hell of a lot of Africans. Now, where are the British people going to live? You get a pinch effect, a housing shortage occurs. "White flight" occurs. Devaluation of property occurs. Not "ghettoisation" as such as the minority population is a minortiy, but other areas of Manchester certainly.

My point being, you can't just give someone something they don't deserve or they're not entitled to, just because some people think it's "fair", or "cruel" not to do so, I am unsatisfied with life in the UK, can I get a beachside villa in Barbados???

You see my point?

Yes, I do see your point. And I completely agree with the housing thing - it's a massive issue, and I also am desperate to see it resolved. Unemployment, too, is a huge problem which everyone, whether in for Brexit or Remain, wants to see improvement in. However, I don't think leaving the EU will resolve either problem - to build more houses, we need money, and leaving the EU would put us into an even more "impressive" debt. Isolation is costly these days! As for unemployment, while it currently seems like immigration is just making it worse, think forwards fifty years. It is, in fact, a massive investment to house and give jobs etc. to immigrants - when they, or their children can return to their own countries (if they are refugees), the feeling in those countries will be much kinder to those nations which helped their people than those which didn't. As for other immigrants, well, my parents are immigrants from Australia. My father has a very productive job which is helping the country. I and my siblings will (as we always have) be living "for the country", just as you have. We are fully British citizens. Now, brexit may not force us to leave (although we have considered it), but it may force many other families in similar positions to do that. Is it really the right thing to do to force children who are British citizens to leave the country, just because even one of their parents was from another country? No matter how big the housing problem, how big the unemployment rate, Britain would never consider forcing its citizens to live elsewhere - it would look for another solution.
OK why? Because it's about the preservation of our culture, thus subsequently, our country, which has been diluted by too much immigration. You can give me the figures of Net Migration and those that come as opposed to those that leave but ultimately with our welfare state and subsidised/free healthcare, beautiful women, just the British way of life really, not to mention what I call "quintessential British culture", we have to protect that, unfortunately everyone wants a slice of it, also unfortunately, we're an already over-crowded small island nation, so we can't accomodate the 7 billion inhabitants of the world. Also with so many races and religons and languages coming together I have started to feel alien in "my own" country, I'm very proud to be British. I just feel that, and I'm sure I'm not alone, (in fact I know I'm not, as there were circa 17.5m people who voted Brexit), that something has to be done, if there was a vote to leave the Commonwealth I'd be voting leave too.

What 'quintessential British culture'? We lost our native culture when the Romans invaded. Our current 'culture' is an amalgamation of aspects from the rest of Europe and America. If you're thinking of straight-backed ladies and gentlemen sitting around sipping tea and holding umbrellas, then you're talking about something that's been around for less than 200 years.
Being half Scottish I guess I am "qualified" to have a say, my stance in it is there's no difference between Scottish and English culture, therefore we should all be united, as the United Kingdom (clue is in the title!), to preserve that same culture - it irks me that the British Isles has become, or wants to become, seperate entitities with seperate currencies and seperate this and that, that's the Republic of Ireland included there.

Scottish and English culture aren't the same thing. Interesting that you think Britain shouldn't be separate entities with separate currencies but that Europe should be...
No :colonhash: Not at all, it's the mix of cultures that makes British women so beautiful I say, and British culture as a whole.

I thought you wanted to preserve British culture by not allowing other cultures to invade and take over ours? :tongue:

Surely you can see how the British rejection of EU laws is similar to how the Scottish want to reject westminster laws? Isn't it essentially tribalism where one tribe is upset it doesn't get to make the majority of decisions that affect themselves?

My counter argument as someone who visits the EU mainland, is that western europe at least feels remarkably similar to the UK. Obviously you have the architecture and slight food and drink differences, but culturally it seems virtually identical, we watch the same shows, eat mostly the same food, get the same jokes, have the same worries, hopes for the future, beliefs etc etc. Before I regularly visited europe (about 2-3 times a year) it felt alien, but realistically the difference between us and the majority of the EU is extremely minor.

There is the issue of immigration but surely looking at the stats, anyone anti immigration would be far more worried about immigration via the Commonwealth rather than the EU?
Brexit was such a bad idea.
Reply 53
Original post by adam9317
You are a smart man; voting for the British people's freedom democracy and liberty!

ask a question idiot
Reply 54
Are you still trying to get attention because you won to fill up that miserable void in your life like the other brexit idiots?
Original post by Barbastelle
I thought you wanted to preserve British culture by not allowing other cultures to invade and take over ours? :tongue:

yes and i do, immigration and the subsequent blend of cultures, races and religions is good, nay, healthy, nay! "essential" to the longevity of society, it just becomes overkill, unhealthy, potentially harmful etc
Original post by DanB1991
Surely you can see how the British rejection of EU laws is similar to how the Scottish want to reject westminster laws? Isn't it essentially tribalism where one tribe is upset it doesn't get to make the majority of decisions that affect themselves?

My counter argument as someone who visits the EU mainland, is that western europe at least feels remarkably similar to the UK. Obviously you have the architecture and slight food and drink differences, but culturally it seems virtually identical, we watch the same shows, eat mostly the same food, get the same jokes, have the same worries, hopes for the future, beliefs etc etc. Before I regularly visited europe (about 2-3 times a year) it felt alien, but realistically the difference between us and the majority of the EU is extremely minor.

There is the issue of immigration but surely looking at the stats, anyone anti immigration would be far more worried about immigration via the Commonwealth rather than the EU?

Yes def. if there was a vote to dissolve the commonwealth, id be at that polling station like a rat up a drainpipe
Original post by Treblebee
Yes, I do see your point. And I completely agree with the housing thing - it's a massive issue, and I also am desperate to see it resolved. Unemployment, too, is a huge problem which everyone, whether in for Brexit or Remain, wants to see improvement in. However, I don't think leaving the EU will resolve either problem - to build more houses, we need money, and leaving the EU would put us into an even more "impressive" debt. Isolation is costly these days! As for unemployment, while it currently seems like immigration is just making it worse, think forwards fifty years. It is, in fact, a massive investment to house and give jobs etc. to immigrants - when they, or their children can return to their own countries (if they are refugees), the feeling in those countries will be much kinder to those nations which helped their people than those which didn't. As for other immigrants, well, my parents are immigrants from Australia. My father has a very productive job which is helping the country. I and my siblings will (as we always have) be living "for the country", just as you have. We are fully British citizens. Now, brexit may not force us to leave (although we have considered it), but it may force many other families in similar positions to do that. Is it really the right thing to do to force children who are British citizens to leave the country, just because even one of their parents was from another country? No matter how big the housing problem, how big the unemployment rate, Britain would never consider forcing its citizens to live elsewhere - it would look for another solution.

I think it would need to do something, you cant just create more jobs out of thin air or build more housing because theres a shortage due in large to more people ergo higher demand, what about green belt land? Cities are already sprawling out of control due to overcrowing due to, again, too many new people, surely just cap migration??
Would you rather have an insufferable Bremoaner as a room mate or the most pungent squits for a year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Thanks, that's what it's about it's about liberation. Switzerland afaik (feel free to correct me!) isn't an EU nation and has one of the highest GDPs in Europe so I don't see how it will have that many negative economical connotations.

Too many people are blaming the EU for the failures of consecutive Tory and Labour governments. Why do so many people want to come to the UK and not Germany, France, or Italy? I'll admit that part of the reason why must be, that we are an English speaking country, (and English is the Lingua Franca of the 21st century). But that's clearly not the only reason. Serious questions have to be asked about our welfare system and what makes so many people want to come here.

Casting your vote for brexit based solely on the premise that immigration might be reduced is foolish. The government still clearly wants us to be part of the European Single Market, and that almost certainly means accepting free movement of people from the EU in one form or another - I don't think there's any escaping that. (Unless you want a hard brexit and want to turn your back on the wealthiest group of countries on Earth, which seems silly to me.)

Overall, I don't think brexit will change much at all. We'll still almost certainly be a) in the single market and b) accepting free movement of people. This whole process seems rather pointless if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Latest