The Student Room Group

Did you intentionally choose RG unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nemanuel96
Nice, are you set on a career in IB or open to alternatives?

Posted from TSR Mobile

IB or top software eng.. Not sure yet - applied to spring weeks and some tech summer internships so hopefully I land both to compare and contrast.
Original post by Yaboi
Wait you got 4 GCSEs?

Queen Mary's?

really?

Yep, what is wrong with it??
I mean I don't love it, to be honest, I did love Imperial College London but I can't go there as Chemistry requires A-Level Maths and I do A-Level Biology and Chemistry.
University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, Cardiff University, Durham University, University of Edinburgh, University of Exeter, University of Glasgow, University of Leeds, University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, Newcastle University, University of Nottingham, Queen's University Belfast, University of Sheffield, University of Southampton, University of Warwick, University of York are all far and I want to stay at home

-Bath isn't a RG university
-London School of Economics & Political Science doesn't do Chemistry or any natural science (DUH)
-King's College London I didn't like it/support levels are not the best
-University of Cambridge and University of Oxford I would never get into I am not that smart.
Original post by BunnyMidnight

And neither is St Andrews. Doesn't mean it's not an excellent university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
And neither is St Andrews. Doesn't mean it's not an excellent university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

didn't say it was this thread is about RG! lol
I love bath but it's too far, I want to stay home
didn't say it was this thread is about RG! lol
I love bath but it's too far, I want to stay home

Ah, ok, fair enough. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Ah, ok, fair enough. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:angelwings::angelwings::^_^::^_^:
Original post by Princepieman
Tbh, you'd be surprised. A lot of people on my course at Swansea got A*AA-AAA, ditto Law, Maths and Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeh sure....

Entry Standards at Swansea:
CompSci - 345 UCAS points = BBB at A Level + C at AS Level
Law - 297 UCAS points = BCC at A Level + C at AS Level
Maths - 298 UCAS points = BCC at A Level + C at AS Level
Engineering (General) - 333 UCAS points = BBB at A Level + D at AS Level

(being generous as well, most people take 5 AS levels)

During August, the university plastered adverts all over London's tube station desperate to get applicants to apply for its hoards of clearing vacancies.
Original post by C_Richards99
yeh sure....

During August, the university plastered adverts all over London's tube station desperate to get applicants to apply for its hoards of clearing vacancies.

15% CompSciers have AAAb or better
If anyone is applying to Durham and wants to know what the city/county/local area is like just ask me, I'm a local (I live in a town very near Durham city and my college has links with Durham, Newcastle and Northumbria unis so we get a lot of info about those unis) :redface:
Original post by jneill
15% CompSciers have AAAb or better

Yeah, and 15% of a class of 280 is 42. which based on my friend group is fairly accurate

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeh sure....

Ok, thanks for providing that info. But I don't see how it detracts from what I'm saying.

You used the average ucas points achieved - do you know how averages work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster the only non-RG choice (F800 Geography) but is higher in the league tables than many RGs :tongue:
Reply 172
Yep, what is wrong with it??
I mean I don't love it, to be honest, I did love Imperial College London but I can't go there as Chemistry requires A-Level Maths and I do A-Level Biology and Chemistry.
University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, Cardiff University, Durham University, University of Edinburgh, University of Exeter, University of Glasgow, University of Leeds, University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, Newcastle University, University of Nottingham, Queen's University Belfast, University of Sheffield, University of Southampton, University of Warwick, University of York are all far and I want to stay at home

-London School of Economics & Political Science doesn't do Chemistry or any natural science (DUH)
-King's College London I didn't like it/support levels are not the best
-University of Cambridge and University of Oxford I would never get into I am not that smart.

Queen Mary not Mary's lol, nothing wrong with, I useto go there lol.
Original post by Princepieman
Ok, thanks for providing that info. But I don't see how it detracts from what I'm saying.

You used the average ucas points achieved - do you know how averages work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your anecdotal stories are highly anomalous.

Don't get sassy with me about mathematical concepts, you go to Swansea.
Your anecdotal stories are highly anomalous.

Don't get sassy with me about mathematical concepts, you go to Swansea.

Ooh check you, using Swansea as an insult. I'm SO offended.

As usual, nothing else to contribute. Have fun stalking me for the next session of pointless argument.
Original post by Willowbob
Lancaster the only non-RG choice (F800 Geography) but is higher in the league tables than many RGs :tongue:

There's more to a great university than an arbitary ranking. Use your critical thinkings skills - the UK rankings are very weak at measuring prestige, and clearly reward those universities who throw everything at chasing them, whilst punishing the larger RG universities that shine in the World rankings.

I've never regarded Lancaster as an elite university personally, although I know that it is a very good university and has been for decades.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Magic Streets
There's more to a great university than an arbitary ranking. Use your critical thinkings skills - the UK rankings are very weak at measuring prestige, and clearly reward those universities who throw everything at chasing them, whilst punishing the larger RG universities that shine in the World rankings.

I've never regarded Lancaster as an elite university personally, although I know that it is a very good university and has been for decades.

Appreciate the reply and opinion :smile: Having visited all of my choices, I was especially impressed with Lancaster for a variety of reasons including: Course overview and presentation, superb campus and accommodation.. and proximity to home! I guess we make our choices for a whole host of reasons, and I was just trying to make the point that RGs aren't the be all and end all.
Appreciate the reply and opinion :smile: Having visited all of my choices, I was especially impressed with Lancaster for a variety of reasons including: Course overview and presentation, superb campus and accommodation.. and proximity to home! I guess we make our choices for a whole host of reasons, and I was just trying to make the point that RGs aren't the be all and end all.

Agreed, but there are some universities (Durham, Trinity College Dublin, Glasgow etc) which people like to boast about as having attended. Knobody boasts about going to Lancaster, but you should do fine there. They may even one day join the Russell Group.
Original post by Magic Streets
Agreed, but there are some universities (Durham, Trinity College Dublin, Glasgow etc) which people like to boast about as having attended. Knobody boasts about going to Lancaster, but you should do fine there. They may even one day join the Russell Group.

Good point but I think you'll find that they are rather proud of their Top 10 status without feeling the need to behave like sheep and join the RG. I rather admire that sentiment :clap2:
Good point but I think you'll find that they are rather proud of their Top 10 status without feeling the need to behave like sheep and join the RG. I rather admire that sentiment :clap2:

But their top 10 ranking is only in the UK league tables. How are they going to break into the World top 100, and then rise further?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending