The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by isabella1999
What do we even wear for interviews (girls). Literally thinking about this now

What dates are you allowed to choose for the Bham interview?

I legit have no idea what's right to wear to an interview, maybe like a smart dress? Or like even a trouser suit (I think they so badass) Or just a shirt with a smart skirt or smart trousers?
You should check the uni website to get more of an idea of the direction to go in. Like do they say ''smart casual'' or just ''smart''

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bright_Gift

I legit have no idea what's right to wear to an interview, maybe like a smart dress? Or like even a trouser suit (I think they so badass) Or just a shirt with a smart skirt or smart trousers?

You need to look neat and tidy. It doesnt need to be a business suit etc. Wear something you feel confident in - that usually means 'comfortable'. Guys, if you have a suit, its fine to wear that, but you dont need to rush out and buy one if you don't - dark trousers/jumper and a neat shirt and tie would be just as good. Ladies, go for darker colours - avoid 'cleavage' or anything remotely see-through/'sexy'. Remember that you will be whizzing around MMI stations - so ladies, leave the tight skirt and high heels at home. Neat, tidy hair, off your face : Ladies, tie it back/put it up. Boys, actually get your hair cut and get rid of the baby-beard. Sort your finger nails out (if you bite them or they look a mess, then start taking a bit more care of them) - that doesnt mean high manicure and red nails ladies, just how your hands looks shows something about you. Remember, its the 'above the desk' view they will see the most.

Most of this is common sense folks. Its you they want to see, not you hiding behind 'a look', or you being uncomfortable because those new shoes are rubbing your heels or you know your blouse gapes every time you sit down, etc.

PS. Smile. Make lots of eye contact. Smile, and say thank you when you finish each MMI.
Original post by emma.sx
Manchester university says something smart but comfortable as "we will be assessing your interest and motivation, not your dress sense". So I personally would where a nice top, blazer and pants, or a professional looking dress, tights, smart shoes and a blazer. A blazer is kind of my go to as they tend to look pretty smart :smile: hope this helps! (Also I'd avoid jeans and any graphic t-shirts).

I literally don't own any blazers, never dresses so smart for anything :frown: Bham said "smart but comfortable" so assuming that's kinda like smart casual? I think I'm going to buy some high waisted cigarette trousers (gotta have that high waist hahaha) as I never know what skirt length to go to and I would rather not wear a knee length bodycon as my mum wouldn't let me hahaha.

Original post by Bright_Gift
What dates are you allowed to choose for the Bham interview?

You should check the uni website to get more of an idea of the direction to go in. Like do they say ''smart casual'' or just ''smart''

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any weekday between 28th of November and 9th December was open when I checked. I just don't know what to wear over it as don't wanna go out and buy a blazer but are coats too informal?? Ah

Original post by MIST_123
Has anyone heard anything back yet from any places about interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bristol and Birmgham have sent some out

Original post by returnmigrant
You need to look neat and tidy. It doesnt need to be a business suit etc. Wear something you feel confident in - that usually means 'comfortable'. Guys, if you have a suit, its fine to wear that, but you dont need to rush out and buy one if you don't - dark trousers/jumper and a neat shirt and tie would be just as good. Ladies, go for darker colours - avoid 'cleavage' or anything remotely see-through/'sexy'. Remember that you will be whizzing around MMI stations - so ladies, leave the tight skirt and high heels at home. Neat, tidy hair, off your face : Ladies, tie it back/put it up. Boys, actually get your hair cut and get rid of the baby-beard. Sort your finger nails out (if you bite them or they look a mess, then start taking a bit more care of them) - that doesnt mean high manicure and red nails ladies, just how your hands looks shows something about you. Remember, its the 'above the desk' view they will see the most.

Most of this is common sense folks. Its you they want to see, not you hiding behind 'a look', or you being uncomfortable because those new shoes are rubbing your heels or you know your blouse gapes every time you sit down, etc.

PS. Smile. Make lots of eye contact. Smile, and say thank you when you finish each MMI.

Thanks!
I literally don't own any blazers, never dresses so smart for anything :frown: Bham said "smart but comfortable" so assuming that's kinda like smart casual? I think I'm going to buy some high waisted cigarette trousers (gotta have that high waist hahaha) as I never know what skirt length to go to and I would rather not wear a knee length bodycon as my mum wouldn't let me hahaha. I just don't know what to wear over it as don't wanna go out and buy a blazer but are coats too informal?? Ah

High waisted is always a safe option, are you going to wear like a blouse or just a sweater top?

I was thinking of buying a plain dress that comes to just above the knee (but I'm super short so it won't be a problem finding it haha) and with your coats question it depends on what kind of coat it is for sure. Edit - in terms of the fit of the dress, I was thinking a fit and flare, I don't like bodycon AT ALL

If it's something like this fabric

https://m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/petite-boyfriend-zip-coat-5790811

But any colour and length would be fine then I think that's fine but if it's more like a parka or something along those lines then it might be a bit informal. But you'll probably take it off at the interview so it should be fine.

What kind of shoes are you thinking if wearing? I was thinking either loafers or boots, hbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nomophobia
High waisted is always a safe option, are you going to wear like a blouse or just a sweater top?

I was thinking of buying a plain dress that comes to just above the knee (but I'm super short so it won't be a problem finding it haha) and with your coats question it depends on what kind of coat it is for sure. Edit - in terms of the fit of the dress, I was thinking a fit and flare, I don't like bodycon AT ALL

If it's something like this fabric

https://m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/petite-boyfriend-zip-coat-5790811

But any colour and length would be fine then I think that's fine but if it's more like a parka or something along those lines then it might be a bit informal. But you'll probably take it off at the interview so it should be fine.

What kind of shoes are you thinking if wearing? I was thinking either loafers or boots, hbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For shoes I'd definitely where flats. I've got some black suede lace up ones with little gold zips up the back, which look really smart, plus I got them from primark so they were a bargain too!
Hey does anybody know if any interviews have been sent out for anywhere else yet other than Bristol and Birmingham?? And well done to everyone with an interview already :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma.sx
For shoes I'd definitely where flats. I've got some black suede lace up ones with little gold zips up the back, which look really smart, plus I got them from primark so they were a bargain too!

Thanks for the tip, they sound really smart and more practical for cold weather - what are you planning on wearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anna77
Hey does anybody know if any interviews have been sent out for anywhere else yet other than Bristol and Birmingham?? And well done to everyone with an interview already :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interviews for Sheffield are meant to come out from this Tuesday to Friday. Not sure about other unis
Thanks for the tip, they sound really smart and more practical for cold weather - what are you planning on wearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A smart knee length dress, tights, blazer and those shoes :smile:

x

Original post by emma.sx
x

For an interview it is important to dress smart, I would say blouses and nice trousers/pencil skirt just above the knee or a nice dress with flat/slightly healed shoes.

For my interviews I worse a navy blue dress which came just above the knee and had burgundy flowers all over, I wore a burgundy long blazer and some flat ballet pumps.

the one thing I have to say is:
- you dont have to just wear black and white.
- simple subtle makeup is key, dont go mad.
- make sure your hair is neat.
Original post by Natalierm2707
For an interview it is important to dress smart, I would say blouses and nice trousers/pencil skirt just above the knee or a nice dress with flat/slightly healed shoes.

For my interviews I worse a navy blue dress which came just above the knee and had burgundy flowers all over, I wore a burgundy long blazer and some flat ballet pumps.

the one thing I have to say is:
- you dont have to just wear black and white.
- simple subtle makeup is key, dont go mad.
- make sure your hair is neat.

Thanks for the tips, you've been very helpful! Just one question - would a skirt/dress with a bit of flare not be appropriate because I don't really like dresses/skirts that hug my bottom half.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emma.sx
A smart knee length dress, tights, blazer and those shoes :smile:

Thanks for the tips! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the tips, you've been very helpful! Just one question - would a skirt/dress with a bit of flare not be appropriate because I don't really like dresses/skirts that hug my bottom half.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I never ever wear tight anything, I saw numerous people in flared skirts, I myself was in a flared dress and this was not an issue. as long as you look smart then you will be absolutely fine.
I never ever wear tight anything, I saw numerous people in flared skirts, I myself was in a flared dress and this was not an issue. as long as you look smart then you will be absolutely fine.

Hi what university do you go to now?
Original post by Milky moustache
Hi what university do you go to now?

Cardiff x

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cardiff x

Ohh u are the one who used to have a picture of urself and a stethoscope or something right. I didn't recognise u lol
Original post by Milky moustache
Ohh u are the one who used to have a picture of urself and a stethoscope or something right. I didn't recognise u lol

haha yea thats me, decided on a change in picture a while back x
It's funny but stressful.

I am seeing everyone going mad because Bristol has sent out interviews and are asking questions like when did you submit your application, what were your stats etc. Only annoying thing is that it's stressful as I want to ask these questions as I want an interview :angry:
Original post by Jeff458(#21)
It's funny but stressful.

I am seeing everyone going mad because Bristol has sent out interviews and are asking questions like when did you submit your application, what were your stats etc. Only annoying thing is that it's stressful as I want to ask these questions as I want an interview :angry:

For gods sake Jeff just create an account that doesn't have 'Jeff458' in it lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending