The Student Room Group

How to tell a guy you just want to be friends?

Kissed a guy two separate times on nights out in the last month. We're in the same friend group at college and haven't talked about it since. He's cool and I like him but I've been asked out by someone else since after I kissed the first guy that I'm accepting.
The first guy hasn't made any obvious signs that he wants anything to happen between us, but I'm not sure if that's because he doesn't want to say or because he doesn't want anything. The best idea seems like talking to him about it to clear everything up to avoid more problems down the line, but I've been finding it hard to 1) get him alone to do it and 2) actually know what to say. I don't want to make things unnecessarily weird considering we're friends in general and have to keep seeing each other, but I don't want to give any mixed signals or get scared out of doing anything.
Any suggestions?
Wait so... he hasn't brought anything up and isn't pursuing you? If you're then going to go and date somebody else at this point there is literally no reason at all to bother bringing this up. Once he finds out you've found somebody else the message should become clear. This is needless fannying around.
"Let's be friends".

Straight forward and simple. It makes it very clear what you want and leaves no room for misinterpretation.

But, he's not pursuing you, so it may just be best to leave it.
Reply 3
I wouldn't rush with 'lets be friends' since you sort of are anyway and no commitments have been made. Just get on with what you want to do, see what happens and react accordingly.
If he hasn't made any moves, it would actually be kind of strange for you to say "I just want to be friends."

If he makes a move, break out the 'Let's be friends' line. Otherwise, he may 'Just want to be friends' with you.
Reply 5
Original post by ThatOldGuy
If he hasn't made any moves, it would actually be kind of strange for you to say "I just want to be friends."

If he makes a move, break out the 'Let's be friends' line. Otherwise, he may 'Just want to be friends' with you.

I thought this too, but as we have mutual friends, one of them has told me that he says he does like me but is too shy to do anything about it (when sober I suppose). I just don't want to move on and him to see it and for him to think I don't care and so secretly resent me because of it.
Original post by Anonymous
I thought this too, but as we have mutual friends, one of them has told me that he says he does like me but is too shy to do anything about it (when sober I suppose). I just don't want to move on and him to see it and for him to think I don't care and so secretly resent me because of it.

He's not going to resent you for not politely rejecting him when he hasn't actually made a move. That's totally ridiculous

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending