The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nomophobia
High waisted is always a safe option, are you going to wear like a blouse or just a sweater top?

I was thinking of buying a plain dress that comes to just above the knee (but I'm super short so it won't be a problem finding it haha) and with your coats question it depends on what kind of coat it is for sure. Edit - in terms of the fit of the dress, I was thinking a fit and flare, I don't like bodycon AT ALL

If it's something like this fabric

https://m.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/petite-boyfriend-zip-coat-5790811

But any colour and length would be fine then I think that's fine but if it's more like a parka or something along those lines then it might be a bit informal. But you'll probably take it off at the interview so it should be fine.

What kind of shoes are you thinking if wearing? I was thinking either loafers or boots, hbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A blouse I think, because if I'm going to wear a coat I need to formal it up. Ah okay yeah that should be fine, I'm kinda average height (5"5) so dresses are either below the knee or way above I can never find an inbetween :frown: okay will see if I have any like that. I have loafers from school that's an option, I also have these pointy black Lace up shoes from Zara which are quite Nice. I was also considering close toe heels but they are like 3.5 inch I think or 3 so perhaps a tad high
Original post by RossB1702
For gods sake Jeff just create an account that doesn't have 'Jeff458' in it lmao.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loving the pic my friend hahaha
Original post by isabella1999
A blouse I think, because if I'm going to wear a coat I need to formal it up. Ah okay yeah that should be fine, I'm kinda average height (5"5) so dresses are either below the knee or way above I can never find an inbetween :frown: okay will see if I have any like that. I have loafers from school that's an option, I also have these pointy black Lace up shoes from Zara which are quite Nice. I was also considering close toe heels but they are like 3.5 inch I think or 3 so perhaps a tad high

Ahhhh ok, I see what you mean. And that's a pain, I find below the knee dresses just make you look a bit old fashioned. I think the pointy lace up shoes are the best option, 3 inch heels does sound a bit high

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Ahhhh ok, I see what you mean. And that's a pain, I find below the knee dresses just make you look a bit old fashioned. I think the pointy lace up shoes are the best option, 3 inch heels does sound a bit high

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah especially if they are not bodycon. Okay good plan :biggrin:
Original post by MIST_123
Has anyone heard anything back yet from any places about interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard from Birmingham and there are some Bristol ones floating around :smile: I think Sheffield are giving them out this coming week as well
Original post by Jeff458(#21)
It's funny but stressful.

I am seeing everyone going mad because Bristol has sent out interviews and are asking questions like when did you submit your application, what were your stats etc. Only annoying thing is that it's stressful as I want to ask these questions as I want an interview :angry:

I feel you I feel you :') Bristol is my first choice and 2 people from school have interviews from Bristol (as of yesterday) - though saying that it could be worse because I already have an interview from Birmingham
Original post by erinls2
I feel you I feel you :':wink: Bristol is my first choice and 2 people from school have interviews from Bristol (as of yesterday) - though saying that it could be worse because I already have an interview from Birmingham

In same position! Got an interview from Birmingham but Bristol is my second choice (well technically first as Cambridge is basically out unless a miracle occurs when they mark my BMAT). Havnt heard anything back from Bristol yet (no email since the we have started considering your application one) and am really worried :frown:

My other choice is Edinburgh which I really love too but I know I won't hear back from them until next year
Original post by Natalierm2707
Cardiff x

Hey, have you got a preparation tips for MMI? I'm so baffled. :s-smilie:
Original post by erinls2
I feel you I feel you :':wink: Bristol is my first choice and 2 people from school have interviews from Bristol (as of yesterday) - though saying that it could be worse because I already have an interview from Birmingham

Great to hear you have actually got an interview!

I am still waiting and trying to find the motivation to prepare for them!
Original post by Cherub012
Hey, have you got a preparation tips for MMI? I'm so baffled. :s-smilie:

I am afraid I never did an MMI, but most interviews are similar and so the same techniques can be used:

1) print out your PS leaving 2 lines space after each sentence (or more if you write really big). then annotate the sentence with ideas which you could form a conversation on if asked. For example if one of your sentences described you being head girl or something like that, annotate how that helped you, how you can use that in medicine etc. This technique is great in my opinion because it allows you to get into words how you yourself would elaborate on the points made in your personal statement as well as helping you get more familiar with it.
2) have a look for some example interview questions such as in the ISC book and go through those talking in front of friends, family and your mirror, get comfortable with the questions and the concepts as well as begin to form basic outlines of what you will say. A lot of applicants will memorise answers to questions and this is not a good idea as it can often mean if the question is worded differently you miss out key points or sound very rehearsed.
3) read the news, especially your local health board news for the university you are interviewing at and get some opinions on the current healthcare news.
4) ensure you understand the basics of medical ethics! such as consent, challenging situations etc.
I am afraid I never did an MMI, but most interviews are similar and so the same techniques can be used:

1) print out your PS leaving 2 lines space after each sentence (or more if you write really big). then annotate the sentence with ideas which you could form a conversation on if asked. For example if one of your sentences described you being head girl or something like that, annotate how that helped you, how you can use that in medicine etc. This technique is great in my opinion because it allows you to get into words how you yourself would elaborate on the points made in your personal statement as well as helping you get more familiar with it.
2) have a look for some example interview questions such as in the ISC book and go through those talking in front of friends, family and your mirror, get comfortable with the questions and the concepts as well as begin to form basic outlines of what you will say. A lot of applicants will memorise answers to questions and this is not a good idea as it can often mean if the question is worded differently you miss out key points or sound very rehearsed.
3) read the news, especially your local health board news for the university you are interviewing at and get some opinions on the current healthcare news.
4) ensure you understand the basics of medical ethics! such as consent, challenging situations etc.

I thought Cardiff did MMI? Anyways, thank you so much! :smile:
It's funny but stressful.

I am seeing everyone going mad because Bristol has sent out interviews and are asking questions like when did you submit your application, what were your stats etc. Only annoying thing is that it's stressful as I want to ask these questions as I want an interview :angry:

Maybe they're going through people with English qualifications first... Sabr fam
Original post by Cherub012
I thought Cardiff did MMI? Anyways, thank you so much! :smile:

They do this year, but i applied 2 years ago now and back then it was traditional.
Original post by Nuba123
Maybe they're going through people with English qualifications first... Sabr fam

Hahaha 'sabr fam' :biggrin::colone: Mate, that had me on the ground!!!

Where did you end up applying? Was it Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glesga if I am right?

I don't know if I ended up telling you but mine was Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Bristol. Bristol I applied to for some interview practice. Will reject it even if I do get the offer. Also heard that Scottish universities look really highly on you if you did well in S6 and are a gap year applicant!

But I would be happy to go to Aberdeen, Dundee or Edinburgh! :smile:

Hope the catching up is going well btw :smile:
Loving the pic my friend hahaha

I like it too.
For an interview it is important to dress smart, I would say blouses and nice trousers/pencil skirt just above the knee or a nice dress with flat/slightly healed shoes.

For my interviews I worse a navy blue dress which came just above the knee and had burgundy flowers all over, I wore a burgundy long blazer and some flat ballet pumps.

the one thing I have to say is:
- you dont have to just wear black and white.
- simple subtle makeup is key, dont go mad.
- make sure your hair is neat.

Is it ok to still wear your everyday coat (it's too cold to come in just a blazer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bright_Gift
Is it ok to still wear your everyday coat (it's too cold to come in just a blazer)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes just take it off inside.
Phew, I'm getting so parnoid about every little detail lol

Thankss @Natalierm2707

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by isabella1999
In same position! Got an interview from Birmingham but Bristol is my second choice (well technically first as Cambridge is basically out unless a miracle occurs when they mark my BMAT). Havnt heard anything back from Bristol yet (no email since the we have started considering your application one) and am really worried :frown:

My other choice is Edinburgh which I really love too but I know I won't hear back from them until next year

Maybe they're just saving the best till last? 😉
Original post by erinls2
Maybe they're just saving the best till last? 😉

Original post by erinls2
Rep if you check your email every 5 minutes in hope of an interview 😂😂😂

Hahaha yes that's it for sure 😊😂 literally me. I've told myself that I'm not going to check now until after school tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending