The Student Room Group

My uni requires an IB subject I can't take

This year I'm doing my first year of IB, and I've started looking for a course that I'd like to study, but they all ask for a 6 in Maths HL, a subject that my school doesn't offer. I'm going to be taking Maths SL for the 2 IB years... Is there any way I can still get into that course in uni, or should I start looking for something else?
The best advice I could give is to email or phone up admissions offices and personally explain your problem to them.
Reply 2
Original post by sophielophie
The best advice I could give is to email or phone up admissions offices and personally explain your problem to them.

Will do and thank you so much!
Original post by mariacanton
This year I'm doing my first year of IB, and I've started looking for a course that I'd like to study, but they all ask for a 6 in Maths HL, a subject that my school doesn't offer. I'm going to be taking Maths SL for the 2 IB years... Is there any way I can still get into that course in uni, or should I start looking for something else?

Is it possible for you to take A-level maths alongside your IB course? I know people who got around that problem this way.
Reply 4
Original post by RayApparently
Is it possible for you to take A-level maths alongside your IB course? I know people who got around that problem this way.

Unfortunately, no. In Spain we don't have A-Levels, and the Math HL equivalent in the spanish baccalaureate isn't accepted by unis.
Unfortunately, no. In Spain we don't have A-Levels, and the Math HL equivalent in the spanish baccalaureate isn't accepted by unis.

Can you take an Advanced Placement Test from the US system. If you can (you don't have to take the course to take the test) I think it's ok. AP Calculus AB and BC

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is problematic. :/ Are you applying to UK universities though? Hopefully the places you're applying to will take it into consideration.
What course are u intersted in studying?
Reply 8
Original post by jaichandak
What course are u intersted in studying?

Either Physics or Physics and Mathematics at Strathclyde University
Either Physics or Physics and Mathematics at Strathclyde University

If you're applying to any UK universities, I know that Birmingham University has courses in which it accepts applicants with Maths SL if not offered at HL.
Reply 10

I'd say that if where you want to study offers foundation year, you should just take it if it's that important for you. Otherwise try to find another Uni that does accept Math SL, it also doesnt hurt to call/email them about this!
Reply 11
in some unis if you don't take a course at high school they will make it mandatory during your first year of uni, so i know someone who applied for an econ degree and only did gcse maths but as/a2 maths was required, so the uni accepted her but she had to do maths courses in the first year. speak to the uni youre applying to as this may be a similar case

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending