The Student Room Group

Please answer with a yes or a no with a reason/ Much appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Freshstart123
Started school on the 6th of September and Now it is November, I have been revising since day one. My grades at the moment are so bad.
My questions:

Am I still considered to be early in the school year?
Is there still time to Revise?
Is there still time to Improve?
Answer with a yes or no and give a reason please. Thank you so much if you do answer, as this will make me feel better lol.

You still have time, last year I failed all of my assessments for one of my subjects and rolled out with an A in the final exam. DISCLAIMER: IT WAS NOT EASY, I had to sacrifice a lot of time to researching, past papers and writing essays (even ones that the teacher had not even given us). But it was worth it, it requires a lot of strength to sacrifice 5 hours of straight social media time but you just have to get things done. x Stay motivated always.
Started school on the 6th of September and Now it is November, I have been revising since day one. My grades at the moment are so bad.
My questions:

Answer with a yes or no and give a reason please. Thank you so much if you do answer, as this will make me feel better lol.

Common sense.

1. Am I still considered to be early in the school year?
Ofc. How much of the school year you are 2 months out of 9 in.

2. Is there still time to Revise?
Ofc you cna revise up to the second before your exam. How long is there before the exams? 7 months?

3. Is there still time to Improve?
If you only just into the year and you ahve seven months till the actual exam, then what do you think?

Calm down, focus and organise yourself.
Original post by 999tigger
Common sense.

1. Am I still considered to be early in the school year?
Ofc. How much of the school year you are 2 months out of 9 in.

2. Is there still time to Revise?
Ofc you cna revise up to the second before your exam. How long is there before the exams? 7 months?

3. Is there still time to Improve?
If you only just into the year and you ahve seven months till the actual exam, then what do you think?

Calm down, focus and organise yourself.

I have five months till the real ex\ms they are in may
I have five months till the real ex\ms they are in may

Makes little difference to my answer. You ask questions to which you already know the answer. You have plenty of time if you focus, organise and work hard enough.
My questions:

Dw it's still early and I'm not getting good grades either but as long as you are trying and can see improvements you will have loads of practise in the coming months at school too
Just do what you said you've been doing all along plus ask if you don't understand- that's what teachers r there for!
You'll be getting lots of tests etc and in fact (they don't do this for all subjects, only sciences and maths at our school) you'll be having lots of actual pre- mocks to prepare you for the mocks that will prepare u for the as exams ( we've already had one for sciences and for those that do maths and have 1 more in December before our real mock)
Good luck!
If you're at AS of course there is time to revise.
A2 is a similar case.
The step up from GCSE as you probs know is HUGE. I went from A*AAB to CCEU in my first mocks in AS. it's purely practise that makes you better. there's always time to revise.
The step up from AS to A2 is also very large, not as much from GCSE to AS but it's still big,again i went from BBD to CFU (AS to A2) and i know it's just time before they go back to normal.

basically just revise like normal, don't worry too much about your grades, you will naturally learn how to answer the questions right in the correct way, trust me
Original post by Toasticide
If you're at AS of course there is time to revise.
A2 is a similar case.
The step up from GCSE as you probs know is HUGE. I went from A*AAB to CCEU in my first mocks in AS. it's purely practise that makes you better. there's always time to revise.
The step up from AS to A2 is also very large, not as much from GCSE to AS but it's still big,again i went from BBD to CFU (AS to A2) and i know it's just time before they go back to normal.

basically just revise like normal, don't worry too much about your grades, you will naturally learn how to answer the questions right in the correct way, trust me

Thank you so much for your advice, really appreciate it. Do you think November is still considered early in the year?
Thank you so much for your advice, really appreciate it. Do you think November is still considered early in the year?

VERY early in the year, idk what subjects youre doing but if any are science you should have only covered one or two major topics and youve been revising from day one so you are fine. Just keep revising and if you happen to take maths chemistry or physics an A2 student is happy to help (me) so you can PM a question :smile:
VERY early in the year, idk what subjects youre doing but if any are science you should have only covered one or two major topics and youve been revising from day one so you are fine. Just keep revising and if you happen to take maths chemistry or physics an A2 student is happy to help (me) so you can PM a question :smile:

Yeah I am doing bio and chem.
Yeah I am doing bio and chem.

ah i did bio at AS (dropped it now)
i remember knowing all the knowledge there is to know about enzymes there was to know... had a test, and got an E cause the questions were SO specific it was ridiculous, friggin teacher had a go at everyone wondering why literally the whole class got E's or worse
ah i did bio at AS (dropped it now)
i remember knowing all the knowledge there is to know about enzymes there was to know... had a test, and got an E cause the questions were SO specific it was ridiculous, friggin teacher had a go at everyone wondering why literally the whole class got E's or worse

What did you get in As bio, the markschems are so specific.
What did you get in As bio, the markschems are so specific.

Yeh in AS biology i went from GCSE A to E at beginning of AS to C at end of AS (had potential of B, maybe even an A, but the exam was a bit wierd and one of my teachers was spanish and another fell ill and we missed an entire topic [DNA]... didnt help :/)

Your brain is currently locked in to a setting of answering vaguely, which is the GCSE style, in A level for all subjects theyre very specific but you'll slowly change.
By january you'll start to see an improvement definitely
My questions:

A level is no joke. GCSE you can cram, a level you can't. Are you doing a levels?

Do you have any advice on how to get an A at AS for chem? For chemistry, I am finding the step up from GCSE to AS HUGE!:redface: Oh and any tips for maths plz?x:smile:
It is very early in the year! you need to start revising for A levels earlier then you did for gcses but dont stress right now, youve got plenty of that to come. Just relax and keep working and it will fall into place
Original post by sunshine774
A level is no joke. GCSE you can cram, a level you can't. Are you doing a levels?

yes
Yes, yes, and yes. You're probably in a really academically competitive school from the sounds of things, and are definitely stressing unduly! EVERYONE sucks at the start of A Levels, trust me! I am normally an A student but all I got in the first term was Ds. Work hard and don't stress, and it will be fine.
Original post by sunshine774
Do you have any advice on how to get an A at AS for chem? For chemistry, I am finding the step up from GCSE to AS HUGE!:redface: Oh and any tips for maths plz?x:smile:

ok sadly i got a B at chemistry AS (best in my class so thats kinda irritating)
but the best way to revise for chemistry is to consolidate your notes and practise past paper questions (the old spec isnt that much different to the new one)
the best resources are physicsandmathstutor.com (ironically they do chem/bio stuff too). and two youtube channels called E.Rintoul and Allery Chemistry as they help with the knowledge side.
About the step up, it's just a matter of practise and patience really, you're going to remain at relatively low grades until about january then you'll see significant improvement. (thats what happened to me anyway) so don't worry about that.

For maths, look at examsolutions (REALLY useful website, covers literally everything but two further maths topics) to remind yourself of the knowledge and then past paper questions all the way. It's essentially the only good way of revising
Hope that helped, PM me or reply again if you have any other questions :smile:
yes

Quick Reply

Latest