The Student Room Group

Why I don't want to be a programmer

In my entire 15-year long study career during which I studied programming no one has helped me with my programming problems. No one!!!

That's where I draw the line. I don't want to be a programmer anymore. Who wants to spend their time solving difficult problems and when you need help, your colleagues either laugh at you or call you dumb. No thanks, that's not for me. I am so sick and tired of hearing "Oh, but that's logical". Well f*ck you, in your genius wiz brain it might be logical, but not in mine!! Have you maybe forgotten logic is my weakest skill?!

I don't understand maths or logic, so freaking explain things to me as if I was a 5 year old! We all need this! I am also sick and tired of the education system basing itself on perfect little students who can pass classes by just taking notes. Newsflash!! The population doesn't consist of geniuses with perfect lives!! We are not some statistic!! We are human f*cking beings!!
This sh*t is such a big problem that it's been published be renowned doctors of education and even in the news: more and more kids need private teachers in order to help them pass classes because the material is too difficult and teachers don't have time to guide students in-depth. Do you know what happens to those poor kids?! Do you?! Well, they don't have a rich, highly educated mommy and daddy so they have to deal with the homework problems all on their own, like I had to!!! And guess what happens to them?! They fail high school for no good reason, while all the while they had the potential to become more!! (Don't worry about me, I already have a Bachelors degree).

We need an educational revolution!!!

The vent has terminated.
Reply 1
I don't think it has anything to do with being a programmer, it could be where you work. I also dislike blame culture but a good team revolves around team work and supporting each other. Perhaps find companies which heavily revolve around the agile movement. I do that, I work somewhat in programming (not necessarily programming) and I find people are always willing to help. Don't give up on what you enjoy doing and are good at just because people are putting you down, rise up to it and find another place to work.
[video="youtube;dqTTojTija8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTTojTija8[/video]
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
I don't think it has anything to do with being a programmer, it could be where you work. I also dislike blame culture but a good team revolves around team work and supporting each other. Perhaps find companies which heavily revolve around the agile movement. I do that, I work somewhat in programming (not necessarily programming) and I find people are always willing to help. Don't give up on what you enjoy doing and are good at just because people are putting you down, rise up to it and find another place to work.

I worked for such a company, doing agile scrum, but the people there were still *******s. Not only did they not help me but they kept pulling the same crap: "that is logical" / "just google it" / "I don't have time for you", etc.
Reply 4
Original post by saraxh
[video="youtube;dqTTojTija8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTTojTija8[/video]

Good video, thanks Sarah.
@571122 I don't normally say this but from what I've seen your posts are very interesting and I respect your high integrity. You are restoring my faith in the internet.
Reply 6
Original post by Orbital Rising
@571122 I don't normally say this but from what I've seen your posts are very interesting and I respect your high integrity. You are restoring my faith in the internet.

Oh, thank you, Orbital Rising.

Quick Reply

Latest