The Student Room Group

Am I missing out?

I have gotten to that age (18) where people party every friday, but i have practically never gone to a party. I don't see the point, but I also feel (insert negative words here e.g. uncool).

I mean yesterday evening I went gym and cooked my own food.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
I have gotten to that age (18) where people party every friday, but i have practically never gone to a party. I don't see the point, but I also feel (insert negative words here e.g. uncool).

So, why follow what is perceived as the "social norm" and follow you own likes and interests.

And it aint uncool to cook and go gym and never been to a party :smile:
And what's wrong in that??
Original post by Bluebutterfly310
So, why follow what is perceived as the "social norm" and follow you own likes and interests.

And it aint uncool to cook and go gym and never been to a party :smile:

Yeah I guess, i understand you. Its weird tjough because i dont have a clear set of interests/goal I feel.

Its just because i have so many different friends, my social media is full of their parties.
Original post by shahida sulaiman
And what's wrong in that??

I feel like an outcast and a social degenrate xD
I've never seen the point of going out and partying...

Do what makes you happy
Yeah I guess, i understand you. Its weird tjough because i dont have a clear set of interests/goal I feel.

Its just because i have so many different friends, my social media is full of their parties.

Yea and i know and understand because im the same.

Aw fair enough.

Don't be dummy ! Just try being urself as the girl above said :wink:
Reply 9
Do what you enjoy doing, not what others enjoy doing.

When you get to uni, you'll be more involved so don't worry.
Original post by shahida sulaiman
Don't be dummy ! Just try being urself as the girl above said :wink:

Being myself is... I dont know now.
Original post by UWS

I don't know what I enjoy.

I enjoy football and have always sucked at it that I dont get invited to the tourneys.

I enjoy video games maybe
I go gym I kind of enjoy that
Reply 12
I don't know what I enjoy.

I enjoy football and have always sucked at it that I dont get invited to the tourneys.

I enjoy video games maybe
I go gym I kind of enjoy that

Keep doing that then. People's interests change over time so you may find you like new things next year. Everyone is different.
that's a good thing, because you have more time to do stuff way more productive and not let you life go to waste
Original post by UWS

Being myself is... I dont know now.

Wow ! Lol this is harder than I thought !! :rolleyes:

At least you wouldn't wake up to a hangover. Your night sounds more pleasant. Don't worry too much. :smile:

So do you feel like an outcast when people go to football matches? I hate the congestion of people after football matches and I don't give a crap about football (not the sport, but the hordes of people who go crazy over it). But I completely understand what you're saying. It's a different situation. It's like your friends are, perhaps, doing something and there's a slight feeling at the back of your mind that maybe you're missing out. Remember, you should do what you wanna do and that's completely fine and if you decide you wanna party, do it, and if you decide you don't want to, don't do it. You can go partying too, and if you don't want to drink, then don't give in to peer pressure. Out of all the parties and stuff that's gone in in my life - none of them had drunk people there having alcohol - because we couldn't as we were under 18 and why should today, when you're over 18, be any different?

I think people do benefit from social time. Times when you're helping each other learn, and time when you're just having fun by playing sports and stuff against/with your friends. If you have those two elements, what's the need for partying? Imo, it's just wasting time (depending on what actually goes on in partying).
Original post by Kiritsugu
So do you feel like an outcast when people go to football matches? I hate the congestion of people after football matches and I don't give a crap about football (not the sport, but the hordes of people who go crazy over it). But I completely understand what you're saying. It's a different situation. It's like your friends are, perhaps, doing something and there's a slight feeling at the back of your mind that maybe you're missing out. Remember, you should do what you wanna do and that's completely fine and if you decide you wanna party, do it, and if you decide you don't want to, don't do it. You can go partying too, and if you don't want to drink, then don't give in to peer pressure. Out of all the parties and stuff that's gone in in my life - none of them had drunk people there having alcohol - because we couldn't as we were under 18 and why should today, when you're over 18, be any different?

I think people do benefit from social time. Times when you're helping each other learn, and time when you're just having fun by playing sports and stuff against/with your friends. If you have those two elements, what's the need for partying? Imo, it's just wasting time (depending on what actually goes on in partying).

I think its deeper than me jhst missing out, I have so many friends and I dont get invited. And im really talkative too, i just struggle to bond/attract people. then this just creates insecurity issues
:frown: I am the one with negative thoughts on myself based on comparing myself to others in the past
Original post by animeamanda1412
that's a good thing, because you have more time to do stuff way more productive and not let you life go to waste

Despite not doing parties I just do unproductive stuff alone. Only productive thing i do is gym or.homework

Quick Reply

Latest