The Student Room Group

Why should we feel bad about anything?.

Have you ever thought about it?.
I mean, ultimately things that happen are just things that happen , why should we feel bad about them?.
Ultimately deciding to feel bad about something is a judgement.

My girlfriend dumped me. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.
I got fired?. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.
My brother is much more successful than me. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.
All my mates have much better looking gf's. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.

It's just silly really.
Original post by Minyrox
Have you ever thought about it?.
I mean, ultimately things that happen are just things that happen , why should we feel bad about them?.
Ultimately deciding to feel bad about something is a judgement.

My girlfriend dumped me. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.
I got fired?. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.
My brother is much more successful than me. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.
All my mates have much better looking gf's. Ok. Why should I feel bad about it?.

It's just silly really.

The things you just mentioned are things you shouldn't feel bad about. If people do, then they are obviously giving too much of a **** about things that don't matter. And when you care too much about unimportant things, it can lead to a life of misery.
Minyrox
words

Emotional attachment in some cases, fears of personal financial crisis in others. Context is everything. You should feel bad about being fired if it means you're not going to eat for the foreseeable future. You shouldn't feel bad if it was over something you feel strongly about.
Original post by Minyrox

I mean, ultimately things that happen are just things that happen

In other news, toasters are just toasters, TVs are just TVs, and cheese is just cheese.

Madness.
Reply 4
Original post by Mactotaur
Emotional attachment in some cases, fears of personal financial crisis in others. Context is everything. You should feel bad about being fired if it means you're not going to eat for the foreseeable future. You shouldn't feel bad if it was over something you feel strongly about.

Again, why should you feel bad about not eating in the foreseeable future?.
Your judging "not eating anything for the foreseeable" future as a bad thing hence you think you should feel bad about it.
Maybe it's a good thing.
Original post by Minyrox
Again, why should you feel bad about not eating in the foreseeable future?.
Your judging "not eating anything for the foreseeable" future as a bad thing hence you think you should feel bad about it.
Maybe it's a good thing.

Because you will die without eating, and we are hard-wired for survival at any cost.
Reply 6
Original post by Mactotaur
Because you will die without eating, and we are hard-wired for survival at any cost.

Who said dying is a bad thing?.
You are judging death to be a bad thing.
"Feeling bad" is a form of punishment, and enables us to learn from either our past mistakes or bad decisions.
If we didn't feel bad about things, we'd feel less inclined to improve, in order to reduce the possibility of feeling bad the next time around :smile:
Original post by Minyrox

Death is a bad thing as it is the complete end of an organism's existence. We are, as I said, hard-wired to attempt to survive. There is no judgement being made here beyond that which is purely biological and thus unchangeable.
Original post by Minyrox

We, as a species, are wired to survive. It doesn't matter how much we say we dont fear death, when the time comes we would all **** ourselves.

The point is, feeling bad about things that dont necessarily affect our survival, you dont have to feel bad about, but sometimes you do because of the emotional connection youve made. For things that do affect your survival, I'd say you would feel more worried than bad.

Its all up to the person, to each their own and ****.

Quick Reply

Latest