The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wait until they get older.... the ones who aren't particularly nice or women who relied on their looks but lost them.... will have extremely few friends when they grow up.
I think it's personality that makes you more popular over appearance. If you are funny, witty and could hold interesting conversations than looks won't hold any importance in that matter. However if you are attractive with social anxiety, then people may notice you at first but then they will lose interest very quickly
You have to have a warm personality to boot too, otherwise looks alone will only get them so far.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I am interested in the relationship between one's outward appearance and how others treat them and have noticed that I know of no attractive person who has few 'friends', in the Facebook sense of the word. Do attractive people who don't have masses of people wanting to associate themselves with them exist?

Everyone has their own type, typical attractive people normally don't notice they are attractive they just think their looking after themselves better.

Original post by DanB1991
Wait until they get older.... the ones who aren't particularly nice or women who relied on their looks but lost them.... will have extremely few friends when they grow up.

You had bad memories with attractive people didn't you.
Original post by ckfeister
Everyone has their own type, typical attractive people normally don't notice they are attractive they just think their looking after themselves better.

You had bad memories with attractive people didn't you.

Only one.... I've had more good memories than bad with attractive people albeit I do notice they tend to have a different attitude to less attractive individuals. However at school there were a lot of 'attractive' people who haven't done particularly well or have lost a lot of their friends as they got older. Mostly due to 'infighting' within their social groups and I learnt long ago such people tended to be more *****y. I was never affected by it but was easy enough to spot.

Then when I look at locals around here in their late 30's-50's who have extremely few friends, it always tends to be those in the top or bottom 5% looks wise. Most in those top 5% still keep that *****y persona.
One of my sister's Chinese room-mates. She was so pretty it was unreal but she was really shy because of her accent.
People say I'm attractive and I'm not the most popular of people. *shrug*
Reply 8
When I think about it, no.
Original post by DanB1991

That's true from my experience of being female. I was a tomboy who spent lots of time at the gym and know a few lads who rejected and made fun of me basically because they could get away with it..I wasn't pretty or popular. They would come up to me with other lads behind them and take the piss because I was quiet and said nothing. Two of them are now semi bald/look a lot less attractive and seem to want to talk to me now their looks have faded.
Original post by ~scorpio~
I think it's personality that makes you more popular over appearance. If you are funny, witty and could hold interesting conversations than looks won't hold any importance in that matter. However if you are attractive with social anxiety, then people may notice you at first but then they will lose interest very quickly

I was actually thinking of social anxiety when I made this thread not that I could think of that term. I consider myself tremendously socially anxious in life and wondered if that was in any way a consequence of my appearance because all attractive people I know of are the popular type and the people who have their idiosyncrasies, who may be looked upon as weird are all physically on the less attractive end of the scale. I wondered if one causes the other and ruled out anxiety or social deviance making someone ugly.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
One of my sister's Chinese room-mates. She was so pretty it was unreal but she was really shy because of her accent.

I can understand that hampering her popularity if that's how it made her feel. Also what was her romantic life like would you know? Because a guy will look past shyness for beauty any day of the week. Some even find it especially attractive I am sure. If she wasn't on other girls lips because of who she was dating I wouldnt be surprised if it happened to be that other girls were less interested in associating themselves with her for that reason.
I suppose perhaps you may not make people as aware of you as other people do of themselves. And I am not surprised if you are not THE most popular person in the world as the chances of that are quite slim. Do you have a healthy number of people who sit next to you in lectures? About how many Facebook friends do you have? Also the one true measure of how attractive you are is what percentage of the time you are swiped right on Tinder. Or at least it would give someone a better indication than 'people say I am'. Not that you can be sure but you could I suppose swipe a sample size of people right and record how many of those people have matched with you over five days or so. I am not calling you a liar or anything in case it reads like that I am just trying to get a better idea of how below par (if at all) you may be performing on the popularity front for your appearance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by awkwardshortguy
I suppose perhaps you may not make people as aware of you as other people do of themselves. And I am not surprised if you are not THE most popular person in the world as the chances of that are quite slim. Do you have a healthy number of people who sit next to you in lectures? About how many Facebook friends do you have?
Also the one true measure of how attractive you are is how many matches you have on Tinder. Or at least it would give someone a better indication than 'people say I am'. I am not calling you a liar or anything in case it reads like that I am just trying to get a better idea of how below par (if at all) you may be performing on the popularity front for your appearance.

0 matches on Tinder.
251 Facebook friends.
I sit next to the same three people in lectures.
well some people tell me im pretty but i literally have 0 friends lol
Reply 15
a boy at my work is soooo good looking but so shy and no one talks to him ;(
Original post by Goaded
a boy at my work is soooo good looking but so shy and no one talks to him ;(

Why don't you talk to him then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many. At my old school, popularity wasn't really based on looks, but personality. The loud, intimidating people were popular
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by RossB1702
Why don't you talk to him then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I rarely see him (been there 2 months and since seen him twice, and one of those times was during my interview) but I'm friends with someone on his department who tells me he has no friends
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know about social media, but in real life I know plenty of really attractive people that aren't that popular, it's mainly to do with their personalities. If you're very sociable, get along easily with most people, funny, interesting, loud etc then you'll be popular regardless of how you look. Infact alot of the popular people at school were always so cos they were the loudest, most confident and outspoken. Things aren't handed to you on a plate just because you've got a pretty face. Online is different I suppose because you can choose how you want yourself portrayed.

Latest

Trending

Trending