The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Bristol receives a lot of applicants each year (almost 4000 last year!!) and reads most of their personal statements. (Ie. Theyre not like other university that rejects half of the applicants quickly who don't meet certain cut offs without considering them at all). So obviously they haven't read everyone's application yet.

The order of interview means nothing much. I think Bristol reads X number of applicants and gives out interview for the exceptional ones. Then they repeat. If you got the 'still considering' then it means that you have been read and scored but are on hold before they read and score some more (or all other) people. Being on hold doesn mean game over tho. For example, if there are 900 interview spots they may give out 300 immediate interviews. The other 600 slots are there for those who were initially on hold but highest scorer out of those.

That is the sense I got at least from last year. I haven't called them personally to know this is exactly what happens.

To give you an example, (last year) I got 'still considering email' on November 26th and got interview invitation on 20th December for February interview.

Maybe they will have read everyone by December?
Original post by swopnil
Bristol receives a lot of applicants each year (almost 4000 last year!!) and reads most of their personal statements. (Ie. Theyre not like other university that rejects half of the applicants quickly who don't meet certain cut offs without considering them at all). So obviously they haven't read everyone's application yet.

The order of interview means nothing much. I think Bristol reads X number of applicants and gives out interview for the exceptional ones. Then they repeat. If you got the 'still considering' then it means that you have been read and scored but are on hold before they read and score some more (or all other) people. Being on hold doesn mean game over tho. For example, if there are 900 interview spots they may give out 300 immediate interviews. The other 600 slots are there for those who were initially on hold but highest scorer out of those.

That is the sense I got at least from last year. I haven't called them personally to know this is exactly what happens.

To give you an example, (last year) I got 'still considering email' on November 26th and got interview invitation on 20th December for February interview.

Thanks! I was literally stressing for nothing then. Havnt got any emails, does this mean they havnt read mine yet? I wanted all early interviews to get them over with, that's a shame :frown: at least it's not necessarily bad news!
Original post by swopnil

Surely now that they use the UKCAT they'll get fewer applicants?
As Bristol give only 10% for UKCAT then people with lower UKCAT will still apply. Like me I only got 660. I am hopeful as there are quite a lot of people with interviews got a lower score. I applied last year and got the "still considering email" several times. I too think that means they have scored your application and you are too good for a rejection but not quite good enough for immediate interview. To not receive anything you are in the pile that they have not scored anything. I know people last year who got interview invites in February who had never had the still considering email.
Original post by BadLashes
As Bristol give only 10% for UKCAT then people with lower UKCAT will still apply. Like me I only got 660. I am hopeful as there are quite a lot of people with interviews got a lower score. I applied last year and got the "still considering email" several times. I too think that means they have scored your application and you are too good for a rejection but not quite good enough for immediate interview. To not receive anything you are in the pile that they have not scored anything. I know people last year who got interview invites in February who had never had the still considering email.

That means i still have hope to get an interview as i have received "still considering" email 3days ago.
in your experience from last year , do you know how quickly people got interview after receiving still considering email?
Original post by JATTSOORMA
That means i still have hope to get an interview as i have received "still considering" email 3days ago.
in your experience from last year , do you know how quickly people got interview after receiving still considering email?

From my experience from last year probably not until they have read and scored all the applications. I received the still considering email when people were getting interviews and rejections. My rejection did not come until March - pre interview.
Basically the way I read it they process applications in batches. If they find one that they know will be very competitive they give an interview. If it is too weak they give a rejection immediately. If it is somewhere in between then they put on hold and send out the "still considering email. When they have all the applications scored then they may send out rejections to the weaker scores on hold. Send out interview invites to the higher people on hold and keep on hold the remainder and send out another "considering email". I saw this pattern last year as I got the considering email several times at the same time as people were getting rejections and interview emails. It also made sense as when I got my feedback I was only 1.5% of the lowest score that got an interview. Basically, they have a certain number of offers they give. If people above me had not scored as well at interview than maybe I would have been called in March. That is why they keep people in reserve. I was the last batch of people to get rejections pre-interview.
Original post by BadLashes
From my experience from last year probably not until they have read and scored all the applications. I received the still considering email when people were getting interviews and rejections. My rejection did not come until March - pre interview.
Basically the way I read it they process applications in batches. If they find one that they know will be very competitive they give an interview. If it is too weak they give a rejection immediately. If it is somewhere in between then they put on hold and send out the "still considering email. When they have all the applications scored then they may send out rejections to the weaker scores on hold. Send out interview invites to the higher people on hold and keep on hold the remainder and send out another "considering email". I saw this pattern last year as I got the considering email several times at the same time as people were getting rejections and interview emails. It also made sense as when I got my feedback I was only 1.5% of the lowest score that got an interview. Basically, they have a certain number of offers they give. If people above me had not scored as well at interview than maybe I would have been called in March. That is why they keep people in reserve. I was the last batch of people to get rejections pre-interview.

well that was so close!
Good luck this year.
I'm an international! Got an interview couple of days ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by swopnil

If that happened to me this year I would be sooo annoyed because my birthday is on the 26th November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the still considering email like 2.5 weeks ago and the acknowledgement email ages before. What does this mean? That I am on hold?
Original post by Miloinmyblood
I'm an international! Got an interview couple of days ago!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey im an international too. Do you mind telling me where you are applying from and your stats? thanks
Reply 370
All of mine are undeclared - I didn't see an option to declare that I had none...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayrk
All of mine are undeclared - I didn't see an option to declare that I had none...

Posted from TSR Mobile

same here, i thought they were supposed to be undeclared. When i was filling out UCAS every time i picked a choice it would ask me to declare or leave the box empty if you have no convictions, so i left them empty... i think if it shows undeclared you're in the clear?
Original post by Eehaj
Oh dear... I think I wrongly declared myself as a criminal

Posted from TSR Mobile

loll sorry this is to funny!! but i hope you get it cleared up, it shouldn't be to hard just tell UCAS you made a mistake, or their system could have made a mistake?
Original post by Jeff458(#21)
If that happened to me this year I would be sooo annoyed because my birthday is on the 26th November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the still considering email like 2.5 weeks ago and the acknowledgement email ages before. What does this mean? That I am on hold?

i was under the impression that all the interview emails were sent only in the last 3-4 days.
so why did they sent you "still considering" email 2.5 weeks ago?
i had this email couple of days ago.
Reply 374
Original post by ukhopeful94
loll sorry this is to funny!! but i hope you get it cleared up, it shouldn't be to hard just tell UCAS you made a mistake, or their system could have made a mistake?

I'm actually so baffled, bc I was with my teacher when I filled all of this out, and then another teacher checked it all 🙃 I don't even know what's going on! I'll ring UCAS and ask them to change it, or I'll have to ring up the university's potentially... But it does say on my form that I don't have any convictions so I'm not really sure as to what's going on...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 375
Original post by Eehaj
I'm actually so baffled, bc I was with my teacher when I filled all of this out, and then another teacher checked it all 🙃 I don't even know what's going on! I'll ring UCAS and ask them to change it, or I'll have to ring up the university's potentially... But it does say on my form that I don't have any convictions so I'm not really sure as to what's going on...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol keep us updated - may have to do something about it myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 376
Original post by Eehaj
Are you in the same situation? I just went onto track FAQ and it said to call the unis directly so I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What...? Urgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 377
Original post by Eehaj
Wait... Are you mad at me for suggesting you made the same mistake as me or that you have to call the unis?ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478447053.227719.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not mad at you. Myself lol. And the latter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Original post by Eehaj
Ok good! I thought I offended you! Where did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No quite the contrary. I should thank you haha.

King's, Bristol, Leicester, Bart's.

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Several weeks ago I got an email saying they were waiting for my UKCAT before they could go further and if they did not receive it then my application would go no further. AT the time I was worried that I had not linked pearson to my UCAS universities but I had. I rang Bristol and they told me they didnt mean to send out the email. Have heard nothing since!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending