The Student Room Group

Advice on failing in 3rd year

Is it still possible to get either a 2:1 or 2:2 degree even if you fail a module? I'm in my first semester of 3rd year and out of the 3 modules I study I feel like I've failed it already, but I feel confident about the other 2. If I do fail/have to resit the module will that ruin my chances of getting a good degree?
Original post by bexxy96
Is it still possible to get either a 2:1 or 2:2 degree even if you fail a module? I'm in my first semester of 3rd year and out of the 3 modules I study I feel like I've failed it already, but I feel confident about the other 2. If I do fail/have to resit the module will that ruin my chances of getting a good degree?

Almost certainly yes. Each uni has their own rukles on exam results and degree classifications. They will be on their website. You need to read them. You would most likely be required to resit in the event you failed a module.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Almost certainly yes. Each uni has their own rukles on exam results and degree classifications. They will be on their website. You need to read them. You would most likely be required to resit in the event you failed a module.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely look into that
Original post by bexxy96
Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely look into that

There will be two areas in the rules you need to look at:
1. What happens in the event of failing a module. Normally it's resit, then retake (i.e including lectures). Id you had extenuating circmstances you can put those in, but they normally only get you a delay or more time. Assuming you resit, then its most likely your mark will be capped at 40%.

2. Obviously if you resit and pass at 40% then that module becomes very difficult to carry in your final grade, so you need to look how the final garde is calculated. Normally you can say take the best 8 marks out of ten. There is normall some way of excluding one module, whne assessing your final grade.

If you cant find the rules on the website (they are almost certainly there) then try your student handbook, department or ask the SU to point them out.
Reply 4
You have to pass a set number of credits in order to get a degree - 360 for an Honours degree. If you fail a module on resit, retake or resubmission (depending on your uni's regs and how badly you've failed it) then you will have passed fewer than 360 credits and may be offered an Ordinary rather than Honours degree. Very much depends on your uni though. Resits are usually capped at a pass mark of 40% unless you have Extenuating Circumstances, so yes, they can affect your final grade. However if it's just one module then you're cushioned against it having a radical impact on your final mark.

In all honesty, I'd be very surprised if you've failed the module. Try to wait and see what your results come back as, rather than inagining the worst. We're only a few weeks into the academic year - getting badly discouraged now, might be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Quick Reply