The Student Room Group

Cant pick 4th a level

I want to do medicine in uni and the 3 a levels i already picked are maths.biology and maths. For my 4th a level im considering history,economics or physics. I like history but im not sure i would like the content they teach at a level as its tudors,french revolutio and stuff like that and i just like modern history (20th century history). I thought about physics s it would fit nicely with my other options but in physics i like some content but then when it comes to things like electromagnets,transformers and electricity, i dont like it as some of the concepts are hard to grasp. For ecoomics, i thought it would be interesting, but then i think it would nto be useful as im going to do a medical degree (hopefully) and apparently unis like cambridge dont really like subjects like economcis and prefer if you do traditional subjects like history, thats what someone told me.So what do you guys think i should do/pick?
Reply 1
If you're going for top unis then either history or physics will be more well-respected, but then again they are both a lot harder and/or work heavy than economics. If you think that would jeopardise all your grades then you should take econ. If you know you can handle a lot of work then maybe physics. If you don't like what's in the history course then you will find it really difficult to get through as your motivation will be very low, so physics might be a better option.
Original post by ions
If you're going for top unis then either history or physics will be more well-respected, but then again they are both a lot harder and/or work heavy than economics. If you think that would jeopardise all your grades then you should take econ. If you know you can handle a lot of work then maybe physics. If you don't like what's in the history course then you will find it really difficult to get through as your motivation will be very low, so physics might be a better option.

I did gcse history last year, and i completed the whole course in only 1 year and i cmae out with an a* and i didnt find the course ahrd at all, i found it quite easy and i would get a* in all my tests during mock exams, and i even got 100% in one of the exams in the actual gcse exam. Im not sure if i think i would nto enjoy it or i mgiht end up enjoying it, btu i dont like british history i like american hsitory, as i think its mroe interesting as at gce i did the roaring 20s, the greta depression, the vietnam war and the cold war.I dont know what do you think. im doing physics now, but then im worried at a level if ie dn up with a abd tacher i mgith struggle, btu then i want to go to a top uni and dont want to take a subject that is considered weak and not highly respected by unis, but i think i might enjoy ecnonomics. By any chance i knwo geography and economics are different subejcts but is a level economics kind of simialr to gcse geography, just slightly? I did gcse geography and i cmae out with an a* but it was due to em ahving to do the work by myself as the teacher was bad and i just scraped by and it was a very weak a*.I also found history easier than geography and i found it easier.
Reply 3
Look in to the different Medicine courses you are interested in - What are their entry requirements? What courses do they want you to do?
Physics sounds like a good idea, and remember that studying and attending classes will hopefully get those hard concepts to click in your head. If you feel like it would benefit your application to study Medicine then go for it.
You might like History, but if you know already that you aren't going to enjoy the content then I wouldn't recommend it. I mean if you don't enjoy something you'll be demotivated and your workload will suffer. Don't feel you have to pick it just because it might possibly impress Cambridge.

If you're hoping to go to Cambridge to study Medicine then note that in regards to A-Levels:
Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level.
Most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this and/or particular subjects.
See individual College websites for details. Although some Colleges consider applicants offering only two science/mathematics subjects at A Level (or equivalent), please note that the success rate of such applicants is much lower.

(Including Oxford just to give another Uni's Entry requirements, for your consideration)
Oxford:
A-levels: A*AA in three A-levels (excluding Critical Thinking and General Studies) taken in one academic year. Candidates are required to achieve at least a grade A in both Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics.
Original post by EmmaCx
Look in to the different Medicine courses you are interested in - What are their entry requirements? What courses do they want you to do?
Physics sounds like a good idea, and remember that studying and attending classes will hopefully get those hard concepts to click in your head. If you feel like it would benefit your application to study Medicine then go for it.
You might like History, but if you know already that you aren't going to enjoy the content then I wouldn't recommend it. I mean if you don't enjoy something you'll be demotivated and your workload will suffer. Don't feel you have to pick it just because it might possibly impress Cambridge.

If you're hoping to go to Cambridge to study Medicine then note that in regards to A-Levels:
Applicants must have AS or A Level passes in Chemistry and two of Biology/Human Biology, Physics, Mathematics. At least one pass must be at A Level.
Most applicants for Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A Levels and some Colleges require this and/or particular subjects.
See individual College websites for details. Although some Colleges consider applicants offering only two science/mathematics subjects at A Level (or equivalent), please note that the success rate of such applicants is much lower.

(Including Oxford just to give another Uni's Entry requirements, for your consideration)
Oxford:
A-levels: A*AA in three A-levels (excluding Critical Thinking and General Studies) taken in one academic year. Candidates are required to achieve at least a grade A in both Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics.

Thats the thing i already picked 3 options that fulfill the requirement, and im jsut wondering should i just take physics to look good or take history or economics.Im jsut wondering,but what a levels did you take/ are taking if you dont mind me asking? Its im just worried what if i end up taking physics but then end up nto getting the grades i need or end up doing history/economics but then univerisities will think its weird that i taken economics or history as its not really related to medicine, i dont knwo do you think that could be the case or not really?
Do what you will find interesting, not what you think the universities will prefer.
As long as you have Biology and Chemistry you can pick whatever you want for your 3rd. You don't even have to do 4 (because the 4th AS is no longer a requirement since most schools are only allowing people to choose 3), so if you can just stick with the 3 you're set on.
Original post by surina16
Do what you will find interesting, not what you think the universities will prefer.
As long as you have Biology and Chemistry you can pick whatever you want for your 3rd. You don't even have to do 4 (because the 4th AS is no longer a requirement since most schools are only allowing people to choose 3), so if you can just stick with the 3 you're set on.

But im applying to sixth form and all the application forms require you to pick 4.
Original post by surina16

Also, im not sure what i would enjoy as i have no idea what economics i like at a levels as i ahvent done any business gcse or anythign similar, i did history and enjoyed it a lot!! Im nto sure about physics because ie njoy some topics and im not sure what physics a level is like.
Original post by Anonymous1502
But im applying to sixth form and all the application forms require you to pick 4.

Really? That's strange :s-smilie: On all the ones I looked at last year they just had a box for 'optional 4th' :dontknow:

Also, im not sure what i would enjoy as i have no idea what economics i like at a levels as i ahvent done any business gcse or anythign similar, i did history and enjoyed it a lot!! Im nto sure about physics because ie njoy some topics and im not sure what physics a level is like.

Maybe look at the specifications for those subjects - eg. look at the Physics one and see if the A Level is mainly topics that you don't enjoy. I've heard Physics is really tough so only pick it if you're really prepared to work for it. You seem to like History so it is likely that you like the A Level too (but check with your schools which topics you'd be studying and see if you would like to do them (different schools choose different topics). For Economics look at the spec again and maybe do some light reading around those topics (I was considering Economics but quickly got bored when reading about it so I didn't choose it in the end)
Reply 9
There is no point picking a fourth subject based purely off trying to impress a university. Yes you may need to pick a fourth subject for sixth form, but that doesn't mean that your entry into Medicine is going to depend on it. Pick something that you would find interesting. Look at some videos related to Economics - does it interest you at all? You need to have a think to yourself about the work in each of the subject - does it interest you? Do you genuinely want to study it or are you just trying to impress others?
A University is not going to rule you out purely because you studied Economics or History rather than Physics if you meet their actual entry requirements. Universities will understand that you wanted to pick it because you were interested in it, they won't find it weird. Don't pick a subject you aren't fully interested in because you'll demotivate yourself into studying less than you should, get behind on work, put your other subjects at risk. It sounds dramatic but it's true.
Reply 10
I did gcse history last year, and i completed the whole course in only 1 year and i cmae out with an a* and i didnt find the course ahrd at all, i found it quite easy and i would get a* in all my tests during mock exams, and i even got 100% in one of the exams in the actual gcse exam. Im not sure if i think i would nto enjoy it or i mgiht end up enjoying it, btu i dont like british history i like american hsitory, as i think its mroe interesting as at gce i did the roaring 20s, the greta depression, the vietnam war and the cold war.I dont know what do you think. im doing physics now, but then im worried at a level if ie dn up with a abd tacher i mgith struggle, btu then i want to go to a top uni and dont want to take a subject that is considered weak and not highly respected by unis, but i think i might enjoy ecnonomics. By any chance i knwo geography and economics are different subejcts but is a level economics kind of simialr to gcse geography, just slightly? I did gcse geography and i cmae out with an a* but it was due to em ahving to do the work by myself as the teacher was bad and i just scraped by and it was a very weak a*.I also found history easier than geography and i found it easier.

Well it sounds like you are the kind of person that would just power through an A level even if you didn't like it, so history might be fine. British history is incredibly boring, that's what I'm doing right now and im losing motivation fast. I've heard physics is a very hard A level so I would consider it very carefully. I personally love economics but just not sure of your chances for very competitive courses like medicine at cambridge if you took a non-facilitating subject. I didn't do geography gcse so I couldn't tell you if they are similar.
Sounds like history might be the right choice?
You could also get advice from your school who should be able to tell you the best subjects for your planned course.
Original post by ions
Well it sounds like you are the kind of person that would just power through an A level even if you didn't like it, so history might be fine. British history is incredibly boring, that's what I'm doing right now and im losing motivation fast. I've heard physics is a very hard A level so I would consider it very carefully. I personally love economics but just not sure of your chances for very competitive courses like medicine at cambridge if you took a non-facilitating subject. I didn't do geography gcse so I couldn't tell you if they are similar.
Sounds like history might be the right choice?
You could also get advice from your school who should be able to tell you the best subjects for your planned course.

Thanks for your advice. If you dont mind me asking what exam board do you do and except british history what other topics are there to do? Physics is quite hard and im starting to think and contemplate maybe if i would find history better as if i find physics hard i will end up spending too much time revising it and its not a subject im going to do after a level and it would mean i spend time revising maths,biology and chemistry which are already really hard subjects and history might be an easy subject for me and respected by universities and i would have more time to spend on my other a levels, do you think thats a good idea, or should i just pick economics, like how much is economics looked down upon by unis like cambridge, and does history have a large work load can you tell me more what a level history is like i would appreciate it so much, and what other a levels do you do?
Reply 12
Thanks for your advice. If you dont mind me asking what exam board do you do and except british history what other topics are there to do? Physics is quite hard and im starting to think and contemplate maybe if i would find history better as if i find physics hard i will end up spending too much time revising it and its not a subject im going to do after a level and it would mean i spend time revising maths,biology and chemistry which are already really hard subjects and history might be an easy subject for me and respected by universities and i would have more time to spend on my other a levels, do you think thats a good idea, or should i just pick economics, like how much is economics looked down upon by unis like cambridge, and does history have a large work load can you tell me more what a level history is like i would appreciate it so much, and what other a levels do you do?

My history exam board is edexcel I think and for AS we did the Soviet Union and Mao's China, and now for A2 we're doing the gain & loss of the British Empire and for coursework the American war of independence. I understand about physics. I think physics would be harder to understand so you'd have to spend a lot of time working on it to get your head around it but then again the sheer amount of stuff that you have to memorise for history may take a long time. It's difficult for me to advise you because you're obviously someone who is good at maths and sciences whereas I am really not so I would always choose something like history over sciences or maths. I think you would be fine with history though. If you can write in a coherent way then you will be fine. I quite liked AS, China I found really boring but I think it was the teacher. Empire is incredibly boring for me but America is alright.

In terms of economics, I don't really know how it's looked upon. I know someone who's just applied to oxford and is doing economics but I don't really know how it affects your chances as I'm not applying to oxbridge. All I would say is that top unis have their list of facilitating subjects that they recommend you take at least two of to be in with a chance, but you may be competing with people who have taken four facilitating subjects. In the end I think your predicted grades and strength of your personal statement will matter more than if you take one non-facilitating subject. Economics is pretty well-respected I think, it's just not a facilitating subject!

I am doing economics, history and spanish. Feel free to ask me more about any of them. :smile:
Original post by ions
My history exam board is edexcel I think and for AS we did the Soviet Union and Mao's China, and now for A2 we're doing the gain & loss of the British Empire and for coursework the American war of independence. I understand about physics. I think physics would be harder to understand so you'd have to spend a lot of time working on it to get your head around it but then again the sheer amount of stuff that you have to memorise for history may take a long time. It's difficult for me to advise you because you're obviously someone who is good at maths and sciences whereas I am really not so I would always choose something like history over sciences or maths. I think you would be fine with history though. If you can write in a coherent way then you will be fine. I quite liked AS, China I found really boring but I think it was the teacher. Empire is incredibly boring for me but America is alright.

In terms of economics, I don't really know how it's looked upon. I know someone who's just applied to oxford and is doing economics but I don't really know how it affects your chances as I'm not applying to oxbridge. All I would say is that top unis have their list of facilitating subjects that they recommend you take at least two of to be in with a chance, but you may be competing with people who have taken four facilitating subjects. In the end I think your predicted grades and strength of your personal statement will matter more than if you take one non-facilitating subject. Economics is pretty well-respected I think, it's just not a facilitating subject!

I am doing economics, history and spanish. Feel free to ask me more about any of them. :smile:

How would you say a level history compares with gcse, in the terms of the amount of things to learn and how hard it is and what its like?
Reply 14
How would you say a level history compares with gcse, in the terms of the amount of things to learn and how hard it is and what its like?

Sorry but I didn't do the gcse so I can't help you there!

I basically just coasted along the whole AS year because I was finding it boring then just did some major cramming in the two/three days before each exam - worked for me but not for everyone so I wouldn't necessarily recommend that.
I found AS year quite interesting really. It was all about communist states in the 20th century and particularly Russia I liked because of the contrasts between each of the consecutive leaders and the similarities you could draw between alternating ones. Like I said, I didn't really enjoy China, maybe because it was a "depth" study instead of a "breadth" study (like Russia) so we had to learn detailed stuff about agriculture and things like that that I just couldn't care less for. But it really was ok in the end because I just did a few days of straight out history revision and came out with an A. It's all about the way you write, making sure you balance your argument even if you don't believe in it (e.g. justifying Stalin's great terror!) and getting the exam technique right.

Amount of things - there is quite a lot but it's definitely manageable. Leaving my revision so late actually made me very very stressed (and I don't stress very easily) so the only thing I would say is if you do take it, make revision resources early on or even as you're going through the course.

Quick Reply

Latest