The Student Room Group

How many grad schemes did you apply for before securing a role?

I'm currently applying for graduate roles, and I'm sure a lot of you are in the same position... but for those of you who have already been through the process, how many jobs did you apply for befote you got offered a role?

And for those of you applying now, how many applications have you sent out? How many have you heard back from?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadowdweller
I'm currently applying for graduate roles, and I'm sure a lot of you are in the same position... but for those of you who have already been through the process, how many jobs did you apply for befote you got offered a role?

And for those of you applying now, how many applications have you sent out? How many have you heard back from?

Just over 40 in the end.
Reply 2
if you're talking about grad schemes alone and not grad roles, then I did just over 130 in my final year.
Original post by Yaboi
if you're talking about grad schemes alone and not grad roles, then I did just over 130 in my final year.

Are there even 130 graduate schemes out there?!
Reply 4
I had about 4 or 5 I think. Got it on my 3rd application.
Wow, quite a range so far then! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J-SP
Far more than 130 graduate programmes out there. There 1000s of them.

Plus then factor in graduate entry level jobs that are not deemed a programme, and there would be tens of thousands of graduate jobs to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry that question was more tongue in cheek... He said he'd applied to 130 schemes, not grad roles... Ive yet to see over 100 'schemes' for one specific type of job... He must have varied his career path quite often.

I can imagine the quality of the applications... Perhaps that's the reason it took 130 attempts!
I'm on 52 applications now I spend 2.5hrs on each application tailoring cover letter and CV doing the tests. I have a 1st class honors degree and 5 years fulltime work experience too. The things I fail on are mainly the tests. But I have had 3 video interviews waiting to hear back on and I have a skype interview next week so fingers crossed. I work as a Recruitment Consultant atm which is like 50-60hrs a week. But I apply for 10 a week. Ive applied for 20 entry level jobs too. I was offered one role but only 24k that was in my first week of looking from a graduate fair. Grad fairs if ur confident r the easiest ways to get interviews without even seeing my cv got 2. Had 3 interviews for one job as so many applied but didn't get it on the last one :frown:
I can't go to grad fairs as I have work but I highly recommend them to beat the competition. PS i work in recruitment 75 applications on Reed 73 of them atleast would have been deleted. So competition is not as high as u think. The job will say u need a degree or be legally allowed to work in the UK. And you will get some guy from Somalia with no visa or degree apply. Also recruiters only spend 10 seconds looking at your CV so your profile should be bloody good! You really have to sell yourself
So far around 17 grad schemes, going for quality rather than quantity (around 20 non grad schemes where i got lots of interviews for)

Had 4 rejections so far(i knew i wouldn't get them but tried anyway)

1 assessment centre coming up

and waiting on the rest

My aim to have around 30ish applications by the end of november
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pmc:producer
Are there even 130 graduate schemes out there?!

There are at least 300

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, quite a range so far then! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many applications have you applied for?

Any replies?
Shadow Dweller what degree do you have? Mine is in Business and since every company is a Business there are so many good jobs out there that will consider some paying quite good money too I'm only going for £30k+ jobs as I want to buy a flat and I live in London. I'm approaching every company on the FTSE 100, 250 and 350...once I get to the end of the FTSE 350 and no luck I will probably just lead a life of crime loool
Original post by Princepieman
There are at least 300

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are far more... Circa 800 on TargetJobs alone... That's just schemes!

My comment was clarified a couple of posts after this one.

I was more questioning grad schemes within a specific role/industry and suggested the poster that applied to 130+ must have constantly changed his desired sector - which is maybe why 130 applications were needed.
Original post by pmc:producer
There are far more... Circa 800 on TargetJobs alone... That's just schemes!

My comment was clarified a couple of posts after this one.

I was more questioning grad schemes within a specific role/industry and suggested the poster that applied to 130+ must have constantly changed his desired sector - which is maybe why 130 applications were needed.

Tbf, there is nothing wrong with applying to more than one type of role or sector. And for many of the more competitive schemes out there, it's almost a necessity to scattergun because of the odds. E.g. grad jobs at i-banking tend to have 100+ applicants per place because of how fewer of them there are as banks usually recruit the bulk of their hires through internship schemes.
Original post by Princepieman
Tbf, there is nothing wrong with applying to more than one type of role or sector. And for many of the more competitive schemes out there, it's almost a necessity to scattergun because of the odds. E.g. grad jobs at i-banking tend to have 100+ applicants per place because of how fewer of them there are as banks usually recruit the bulk of their hires through internship schemes.

There's nothing wrong with applying for more than one industry - so long as they are remotely similar and still compact. The banking example you use is unique in that the sector largely attracts top talent, targets schools and offers relatively little places - this isn't uniform across many other sectors.

If they tie in well, you should apply for more than one industry. I.e. banking and technology. Or Supply Chain and in-house Strategy/Business development... The problems arise when you start to be inconsistent in the type of career you want, as ultimately it's extremely difficult to convince industry experts face to face of your genuine passion.

By all means you can apply for everything out there, and by numbers you'll land something.

Not the same - (I applied for a Year in Industry) but I had sent off 17 applications before getting my first offer.
Ive currently applied for 11 schemes.

Rejected by 6
Still in Process for 3
Waiting to hear back after applying from 2
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by manny0121
How many applications have you applied for?

Any replies?

I've probably applied for around 20 so far, and had a few replies! Did a video interview the other day :colone:

Original post by jalby1992
Shadow Dweller what degree do you have? Mine is in Business and since every company is a Business there are so many good jobs out there that will consider some paying quite good money too I'm only going for £30k+ jobs as I want to buy a flat and I live in London. I'm approaching every company on the FTSE 100, 250 and 350...once I get to the end of the FTSE 350 and no luck I will probably just lead a life of crime loool

I'm doing Computer Science, so a good range too! Sounds like you have some good goals in mind, I hope they work out well for you :smile:

Original post by Fas
Not the same - (I applied for a Year in Industry) but I had sent off 17 applications before getting my first offer.

I did a Year in Industry too - how did you find yours/are you looking forward to it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've probably applied for around 20 so far, and had a few replies! Did a video interview the other day :colone:

I'm doing Computer Science, so a good range too! Sounds like you have some good goals in mind, I hope they work out well for you :smile:

I did a Year in Industry too - how did you find yours/are you looking forward to it? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

enjoying it so far! Definitely been a change from the usual Uni lifestyle though :tongue: If you don't mind me asking, what area did you do your placement year in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending