The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox
It's time for one of my usual interpretation points, I was thinking back that even when I started getting heavily depressed (12 years ago now) I still coped to the point I could still enjoy things like reading, playing video games, even going for a drink at pub I just wasn't pulsing/excited/full of energy when doing so in fact I still wanted my weekly night out and going without it made me feel miserable, or if I was bored as didn't go out of house that day or was skint I may find some pennies and go to 24 hour supermarket.

Now I have plenty of money (well I get ESA and DLA so rather than have £40 a week JSA and pay bills on top I get £142 and no bills to pay) I will be very thrifty only because I have cupboards of food, and freezer of food even though I know going out of the house is good for me the other part of brain is saying I don't need to.

So I am stuck in the middle, also if I do go out think of it like an addiction where someone who has gone cold turkey suddenly is surrounded by what they can't have so goes back to it, not in the sense I am saying addiction in the sense I am saying I am addicted to shopping but that as I put off everything be it shopping, even going for a walk, or even as simple as a night out when I do so I am into the routine when the best thing is having it in small regular does when I don't bottle it up so crave it when I don't have it.

Its why also I eat take outs, I can go days or a week or more without one then buy a big one, then find I am eating take out every day for like a week, till one day I may just not have cash in wallet to get one so I eat home cooking for a few days and think "why was I even craving take aways"

Sorry wanted to get this out there and wanted some feedback on it.

Spoilered, as discussion of food habits

Spoiler

Regarding going out, I do think building it up slowly and steadily might be a good idea. It's important to have a change of scene every now and then and to get some fresh air, yada yada... So like, if you have a garden or a patio/verandah, that might be a good place to start: just spending 15 mins out there every day. If it were summer, I'd say build it up even more if you can, but it's too cold and ain't nobody got time for that :tongue:

Don't dismiss or give up on the idea of going out every now and then altogether: it's healthy to go out and it's OK to spend a bit of money once in a while :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
Such a **** night

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh gosh that sounds awful hun. So sorry. Fights like that really distress me, so I feel for you :sadnod: :console: :jumphug:

Original post by chelseadagg3r
thoughts, may be triggering

Spoiler

Regarding the paranoia about meds, try and evidence-test. By this, I mean, what is the empirical, impartial evidence that your doc is doing what you're thinking s/he is doing? :hugs:

Original post by ~Tara~
Been trying to stabilise and not getting anywhere fast. If anything new alters are trying to push through. I've not been a 10 year old before.

Safeguarding came to nothing and im an adult so if I wanna do something I have to ring police myself. I don't so it was all a big waste of time.

Therapy has since got much more pressure on trying to talk about

Spoiler

Doubt I will pass this semester. Basically failed uni what a disastrous and costly experiment this has been. I feel worthless and disgusting. I hate knowing what I know now. I'm tainted

Huge hugs hun. Sounds incredibly difficult :frown: You're not worthless or disgusting or tainted though, promise you :jumphug:

Btw, just so you know, therapist is pretty sure I don't have DID by the looks of it :nah:

Original post by iEthan
Afternoon folks :grouphugs:

Feeling positive today! How are we all?

:sexface:

I mean, :wavey:

:ninja:
Please help me.

I stopped going to CBT a few weeks ago and I stopped taking my meds because I had a bad reaction to them and still haven't booked a follow-up appointment to be prescribed new ones - everything is falling apart and I don't know what to do. I don't know how to reach out again to get help, the feelings involved are as complicated for me rn as they were when I first sought help. I mainly feel frustrated with myself and guilty for wasting precious mental health resources and really don't want to waste any more.

My parents think I'm doing really well atm because I seem really productive and relaxed and happy but

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Oh gosh that sounds awful hun. So sorry. Fights like that really distress me, so I feel for you :sadnod: :console: :jumphug:

Thanks deary :hugs: feeling a lot better about it today. He's burnt his bridges with me though and I can't afford keep toxic people in my life. Me and my mum are fine and she totally understands that I want nothing more to do with him so that is all that matters :yep:
Original post by nverjvlev
Please help me.

I stopped going to CBT a few weeks ago and I stopped taking my meds because I had a bad reaction to them and still haven't booked a follow-up appointment to be prescribed new ones - everything is falling apart and I don't know what to do. I don't know how to reach out again to get help, the feelings involved are as complicated for me rn as they were when I first sought help. I mainly feel frustrated with myself and guilty for wasting precious mental health resources and really don't want to waste any more.

My parents think I'm doing really well atm because I seem really productive and relaxed and happy but

Spoiler

How do you mean had a bad reavtion? What meds have you been on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nverjvlev
Please help me.

Spoiler

Sorry, I feel I ought to know this but I have a memory like a goldfish: why did your stop going to CBT? And does your team know you stopped your meds? Did you get their permission to do so?

Do you have a crisis number you can ring over the weekend if you need to? If not, in the worst case scenario, ring 999 and/or get yourself to A&E if needed. Then, first thing Monday morning, you need to get an emergency appointment with GP and tell them what's going on. Or if you're under hospital outpatient care, ring your hospital and ask for an emergency appointment with the duty nurse :sadnod:

Hang on in there :hugs:
(edited 7 years ago)
@Indieboohoo1 thanks. I do feel equally to blame. I made choices and I wasn't forced to do anything.

I dunno what's gonna happen with uni my personal tutor is bit difficult to get ahold of but hopefully this week we will meet up

@The_Lonely_Goatherd thanks. How do you feel about not being DID? You put smiley face but wanted to check 🙂

I'm just colouring and trying to connect somehow to this stuff. Hate how much is just context changing. Like I knew all along and just never put the most obvious connection together.
I'm so stupid. I'm so ****ing stupid.
Original post by Midnightmemories
I'm so stupid. I'm so ****ing stupid.

What's wrong? :console:
Original post by Indieboohoo1
Has anyone suffered from sleep paralysis before I read about it and it happens to me about 3 times a month. It's a bit freaky.

I've had it a number of times.

The last few times for me were terrifying. I could "hear" my wife and parents talking as if I was in a coma but I couldn't move, open my eyes, or otherwise let them know that I was aware. I think that sleep paralysis is the scariest thing I've ever been through.

I found that it seems to happen more if I fall asleep on my back. If I lie on my left side then it's not as frequent.
:pain:
Original post by ~Tara~

@The_Lonely_Goatherd thanks. How do you feel about not being DID? You put smiley face but wanted to check 🙂

I'm just colouring and trying to connect somehow to this stuff. Hate how much is just context changing. Like I knew all along and just never put the most obvious connection together.

I'm a bit mixed atm. Like if it's not DID then I literally haven't a clue what's going on. Which terrifies me tbh. I hate lack of control and not knowing things :frown:

Try not to be too hard on yourself. Sometimes the most obvious connections are the hardest ones to make :sadnod:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just managed to get myself a doctor's appointment first thing Thursday morning. It's early as anything, but it's the first of the day so at least I won't be having to wait in a busy waiting room for long because that really stresses me out - not the waiting, just all the people. Would've considered an urgent appointment for Monday, but I wouldn't be able to choose the doctor and I really don't want to have to see anyone else. I don't know how I'm going to get through college though. My classmates are going to hate me and I can't even think about having more days off because of my tutor. Looks like I'm forcing myself in. No clue what I'm going to do about one of my assignments. Only one I'm behind on, but I just can't get my head to work for long enough to sit and write 3000-4000 words.
I hate anxiety. My insides are constantly on edge right now and I just can't relax. I just want to scream "whatever bad thing is going to happen, just bloody happen now and get it over with". Hate the anxiety build up, can last days, weeks or months for me, whether I have something to be genuinely anxious about or not :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sorry, I feel I ought to know this but I have a memory like a goldfish: why did your stop going to CBT? And does your team know you stopped your meds? Did you get their permission to do so?

Do you have a crisis number you can ring over the weekend if you need to? If not, in the worst case scenario, ring 999 and/or get yourself to A&E if needed. Then, first thing Monday morning, you need to get an emergency appointment with GP and tell them what's going on. Or if you're under hospital outpatient care, ring your hospital and ask for an emergency appointment with the duty nurse :sadnod:

Hang on in there :hugs:

It's okay, I don't think I posted about it here. It made me feel helpless that I knew all these tricks from CBT but hadn't been using any of them, I just couldn't motivate myself to go. Now I'm too embarrassed to call and explain, I feel like I've let everyone down. I didn't tell the doctor I stopped taking the meds but it made the thoughts about suicide and self-harm much worse and that scared me, plus I got these awful headaches which made me feel overwhelmed and angry.

I don't have a crisis number - I'm worried about my parents finding out that I'm struggling with this. Maybe I should phone the GP on monday, but I'm really behind on my college work because I keep missing lessons and I don't want to have the pressure of more catching up to do.

Thanks for replying :smile: I don't really have any close friends who I can open up to about this stuff anymore
Original post by Anonymous
It's okay, I don't think I posted about it here. It made me feel helpless that I knew all these tricks from CBT but hadn't been using any of them, I just couldn't motivate myself to go. Now I'm too embarrassed to call and explain, I feel like I've let everyone down. I didn't tell the doctor I stopped taking the meds but it made the thoughts about suicide and self-harm much worse and that scared me, plus I got these awful headaches which made me feel overwhelmed and angry.

I don't have a crisis number - I'm worried about my parents finding out that I'm struggling with this. Maybe I should phone the GP on monday, but I'm really behind on my college work because I keep missing lessons and I don't want to have the pressure of more catching up to do.

Thanks for replying :smile: I don't really have any close friends who I can open up to about this stuff anymore

If you contact your GP they may be able to help you with getting extensions at college as well as helping you psychologically. I really think it would be a good idea.

:xmasgrin: Secret santa time!! :xmasgrin:

It’s that time of year again! This takes a while to organise so thought we’d actually start at a sensible time this year, unlike my pathetic non-attempt at one last time!

The limit for this will be £5 so not to exclude anyone, this is a guide though so don’t worry about spending more or less- it’s the thought that counts! Obviously keep it sensible and within reason, I don’t want to get in trouble here :tongue: More on that in a couple of weeks though… International members are welcome, if you don’t want to or can’t send stuff abroad let me know. Same thing if people want to use collect plus to get things sent to a shop nearby rather than their home address :smile: Any other queries, let me know!

If you want to be involved, please PM me by Friday 18th November with:
:tree: Name (doesn’t have to be real, just one that’ll make it get to you!)
:tree: Address (inc. postcode)
:tree: Username of anyone you DO NOT want to be paired with, preferably with brief reason
:tree:Relevant allergies or things you particularly do not want to be given
:tree: Things you like! Favourite colour, items, sweets, animal etc
:tree: Anything else you think might be relevant that I’ve probably forgotten :colondollar:

Sorry if I've missed anyone from the quotes- don't think you're not welcome! Those who only post anonymously in here definitely won't be. If you've got one and don't know why just ignore me, sorry :lol:

Disclaimer: This is NOT an official TSR thing and anything is done at your own risk. Everything personal will be done by individual PM which I’ll delete when all presents have been sent, or at any other time you ask me.

Get PMing! :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Are we allowed to bagsy users?
I'm allergic to penicillin so please be careful which antibiotics you send me.
Original post by furryface12

:xmasgrin: Secret santa time!! :xmasgrin:

It’s that time of year again! This takes a while to organise so thought we’d actually start at a sensible time this year, unlike my pathetic non-attempt at one last time!

The limit for this will be £5 so not to exclude anyone, this is a guide though so don’t worry about spending more or less- it’s the thought that counts! Obviously keep it sensible and within reason, I don’t want to get in trouble here :tongue: More on that in a couple of weeks though… International members are welcome, if you don’t want to or can’t send stuff abroad let me know. Same thing if people want to use collect plus to get things sent to a shop nearby rather than their home address :smile: Any other queries, let me know!

If you want to be involved, please PM me by Friday 18th November with:
:tree: Name (doesn’t have to be real, just one that’ll make it get to you!)
:tree: Address (inc. postcode)
:tree: Username of anyone you DO NOT want to be paired with, preferably with brief reason
:tree:Relevant allergies or things you particularly do not want to be given
:tree: Things you like! Favourite colour, items, sweets, animal etc
:tree: Anything else you think might be relevant that I’ve probably forgotten :colondollar:

Sorry if I've missed anyone from the quotes- don't think you're not welcome! Those who only post anonymously in here definitely won't be. If you've got one and don't know why just ignore me, sorry :lol:

Disclaimer: This is NOT an official TSR thing and anything is done at your own risk. Everything personal will be done by individual PM which I’ll delete when all presents have been sent, or at any other time you ask me.

Get PMing! :biggrin:

Spoiler

I'm up for this :smile: I'll PM you tomorrow with all the details you've asked for :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest