The Student Room Group

How's it going?

We are now a couple of months into the academic year. I was wondering how everyone is getting on in their courses? Are you enjoying C1? Has your uni-level linear algebra module got you pulling your hair out? Share your thoughts and feeling here and maybe we could give you tips. :smile:
Original post by rayquaza17
We are now a couple of months into the academic year. I was wondering how everyone is getting on in their courses? Are you enjoying C1? Has your uni-level linear algebra module got you pulling your hair out? Share your thoughts and feeling here and maybe we could give you tips. :smile:

4 years ago (:headfire::headfire::headfire:) I was settling into C1 and most of it seemed okay :smile:

3 years ago (:headfire::headfire::headfire:) I was doing C3 and self teaching some further maths (:headfire::headfire::headfire:) and still okay :smile:

2 years ago (:headfire: ....) I started maths at uni and Algebra 1A made my head hurt :s-smilie:

1 year ago I started my second year and all of my units made my brain hurt.

I am now on a break from maths but I'll start studying some final year stuff in June or something.

How's everyone else getting on with SMC preparation? I'm hoping for 100+ this year...

First year uni is going good. In fact FP4 was my favourite FM module so Linear Algebra is not making me pull my hair out at all! :lol:

It's just that damn Analysis module... :angry:
Reply 4
Original post by RDKGames
First year uni is going good. In fact FP4 was my favourite FM module so Linear Algebra is not making me pull my hair out at all! :lol:

It's just that damn Analysis module... :angry:

Aw I didn't mind analysis, I found it was just learning the rules and being methodical with your solutions.
Chem is a little cancerous to me, getting consistent D grades and it seems that no matter how hard i try i can't improve it at all.
Reply 6
I've never done this much maths before. I got through two pens and a notebook during the summer holidays. Have gotten through 5 notebooks and 7 pens in the first four weeks here...
I'm just trying to get use to differentiation and integrals in C1. M1 is a nice change from pure.
Reply 8

Still trying to adjust to university level Maths, and trying to get my head around Analysis and Group Theory :cry2:
Original post by kkboyk
Still trying to adjust to university level Maths, and trying to get my head around Analysis and Group Theory :cry2:

I hope group theory goes extinct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A2 maths and self teaching a2 fm is going good (I think?) Its just the amount of work that I have to do which is hard rather than the content
So by the sounds of it the step up from A level maths to uni maths is huge. Great.....
C3 so far is quite easy (done chapters 1 and 2 (remainder theorem and functions) and 6/7 (the non calculus trig ones) and they're easy enough.
Teaching myself D1/2 and Fp1, so far D1 and Fp1 are easy purely cause the hard parts are covered throughout normal maths.
D2 is probs gonna be hard but you need some challene otherwise its gonna be boring. by what others say C4 sounds hard but idk.
I'm just kinda dreading the step up to uni maths cause it sounds like a LOT of time is needed to understand anything and i always either learn something and understand it instantly, within 10 mins extra work or about 10 hours. the latter is not good, i know this from current experience with A2 physics ;( It's pulling my other grades down...

Quick question, Is the step up from A level maths to uni maths more or roughly equal to the step up from GCSE to A level sciences.
Reply 12
Original post by Toasticide

Quick question, Is the step up from A level maths to uni maths more or roughly equal to the step up from GCSE to A level sciences.

More like 10 times that. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
More like 10 times that. :tongue:

Oh... thanks for the advice.
Maths is the only thing im good at and the step up from GCSE killed me on the inside and i became an angry person from all the stress that was put on me.
Welp, had a feeling that wouldn't be the end of it. Thanks for the heads up :smile:
Hey do you think looking at the first uni topic in the summer holiday will help the transition?
(edited 7 years ago)

My linear algebra lecturer has a thick greek accent and rushes through examples in a room that i cant see the board and struggle to stay awake in, so yeah, would say its going well
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

have to get up at 9 on a friday so i can learn what an angle is, thought you said geometry is cool
Reply 16
Original post by physicsmaths

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't know how much I laughed at this :laugh2: I almost broke down when I encountered it during my calculus lecture.

Original post by Toasticide

No way near close. It's like a person who doesn't know how to swim learning in a bath tub, and then suddenly being thrown into the ocean... well from my experience anyway... maybe... :colondollar:

With motivation, and with constant studying you'll learn to cope.

Quick Reply

Latest