The Student Room Group

I need permission from my parents... to spend my own pocket money!

I have a Halifax card for Young Savers (under 18s), which has about £XXX... What really annoys my is that my mum doesn't trust me to keep that card - so instead she keeps it for me. Every time when I want to use it, she asks me what it is I want to buy and decides whether it is reasonable or worth buying. UGH. The card under my name, so I see absolutely no reason why I need permission to spend it! What should I do??
Original post by Anonymous
I have a Halifax card for Young Savers (under 18s), which has about £XXX... What really annoys my is that my mum doesn't trust me to keep that card - so instead she keeps it for me. Every time when I want to use it, she asks me what it is I want to buy and decides whether it is reasonable or worth buying. UGH. The card under my name, so I see absolutely no reason why I need permission to spend it! What should I do??

That kind of erases the whole point of the card imo - you learn to control money more carefully with a card than with just cash. Being allowed to spend money on useless things is one of the great parts of being young. It's your money, I understand that your mum may want to make sure her money is being used towards worthwhile things, but that isn't great for developing independence in terms of finance, after all, she can't keep track of all your purchases/money for the rest of your life.

I'm not sure what you can do about it - maybe explain to your parents why you think keeping a hold of the card yourself would help you become more independent? maybe with an agreement to tell them about larger purchases before you make them?
Reply 2
Original post by epage
That kind of erases the whole point of the card imo - you learn to control money more carefully with a card than with just cash. Being allowed to spend money on useless things is one of the great parts of being young. It's your money, I understand that your mum may want to make sure her money is being used towards worthwhile things, but that isn't great for developing independence in terms of finance, after all, she can't keep track of all your purchases/money for the rest of your life.

I'm not sure what you can do about it - maybe explain to your parents why you think keeping a hold of the card yourself would help you become more independent? maybe with an agreement to tell them about larger purchases before you make them?

I agree with you. Thanks for your advice. :smile:
Reply 3
Report it lost and ask the bank to deliver the replacement to your local branch. Go in and pick it up and spend away!
How old are you OP?
Reply 5
Original post by Twinpeaks
How old are you OP?

17! It's getting ridiculous! Looking forward to when I turn 18 and get my own bank account.
Reply 6
Original post by Talon
Report it lost and ask the bank to deliver the replacement to your local branch. Go in and pick it up and spend away!

Haha, excellent idea.
Original post by Anonymous
17! It's getting ridiculous! Looking forward to when I turn 18 and get my own bank account.

Okay, that is ridiculous! Try having a word with them, and if that fails I definitely second Talon's idea!
Reply 8
Original post by Twinpeaks
Okay, that is ridiculous! Try having a word with them, and if that fails I definitely second Talon's idea!

Will do, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending