The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 820
Original post by Caravan_Palace
You shouldn't be able to see that; instead it should be something along the lines of "you've completed this section, we'll inform you of the results once we have them". If they give you another attempt, they'll reset it so you'll have extra time to complete it (I was given an additional 10 days).

Thanks for that. I guess I just have to wait for them to decide what they're doing with it then. So annoying! I thought I'd done okay on it as well :frown:
So... how many schemes can you apply for? Was thinking of applying for some I don't really want as a test for the schemes I actually want to get into? Seems to obvious to me though I'm sure they have some method of stoping you from doing this- anyone applying for more than one?
Original post by Forget that
So... how many schemes can you apply for? Was thinking of applying for some I don't really want as a test for the schemes I actually want to get into? Seems to obvious to me though I'm sure they have some method of stoping you from doing this- anyone applying for more than one?

You can apply for as many as you want. I ended up applying for three since those are the three I'd actually be happy with.
Original post by Caravan_Palace
You can apply for as many as you want. I ended up applying for three since those are the three I'd actually be happy with.

Great thanks- if you fail one of the tests (e.g etray) surely that would stop you from progressing in another scheme though? Ive been lead to believe its the same test for all schemes- in theory you could practice before if this is the case? I'll give it a go anyway Im just really nervous I passed all the tests last year and got rejected on the bloody written application, so glad they got rid of that this year.
It's the same tests but different pass marks. For example your score on the e-tray may be enough to make the cut for finance but may leave you out of the running for central departments.

This is assuming it's the same as previous years.
Reply 825
Does anyone know what happens if you meet the pass marks for your first and second choice and accept an invitation to attend a final selection board for your first and you aren't successful in that. Are you then automatically offered a place on your second (i.e. generalist) or are you at that point out of the whole process?
Has anybody else heard back about the E-Tray besides whyamianadult's friend?

I am getting ever so nervous now! I hate this waiting!
Original post by linney
Has anybody else heard back about the E-Tray besides whyamianadult's friend?

I am getting ever so nervous now! I hate this waiting!

No, I've not heard back either and I don't think many have. I completely agree, it's really making me anxious, I just want to find out either way. The longer it is, the more I think back to it and think I answered things wrong.

I feel like the wait builds it up more so if I'm unsuccessful it'll be more of a crushing blow.

Does anybody know if it's possible to request your score if you fail? I'd be interested to know how close or far I was from the pass mark if I don't pass.
Original post by Historicity
No, I've not heard back either and I don't think many have. I completely agree, it's really making me anxious, I just want to find out either way. The longer it is, the more I think back to it and think I answered things wrong.

I feel like the wait builds it up more so if I'm unsuccessful it'll be more of a crushing blow.

Does anybody know if it's possible to request your score if you fail? I'd be interested to know how close or far I was from the pass mark if I don't pass.

In previous years you couldn't get your score, just the % of applicants you perfomed better than. So for example last year I flopped the etray-I was told I performed better than 17% of those who took it.
Original post by abc:)
I agree. It must be frustrating for those who have really relevant experience but a much bigger issue more widely with any good job out there is that it's so difficult to get your foot through the door. So I really like competencies because they give everyone a more equal chance.

That said, I applied for an AO level job at the civil service and in my interview I gave an example of 'Delivering at Pace' using my final year of university balanced alongside work and volunteering, managing deadlines etc. Then he asked me if I had an example purely from a work environment! Which to me defeats the object.

Whoever interviewed you for that job was in the wrong. As long as your example ticks the competency boxes it doesn't matter where it's from.
Original post by jelly1000
In previous years you couldn't get your score, just the % of applicants you perfomed better than. So for example last year I flopped the etray-I was told I performed better than 17% of those who took it.

So as expected higher scores from those who did the e tray for a second time will skew the scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 831
Original post by EpicBrum
Whoever interviewed you for that job was in the wrong. As long as your example ticks the competency boxes it doesn't matter where it's from.

Mmm I'm inclined to agree to be honest. On a separate question he / the other interviewer also scored me a 4, for an example that got a 6 in my original application. The feedback was that it was a poor example - so that doesn't make any sense either.
I applied for the fast stream 2 days ago...and the online assessments are still locked, is this normal to have to wait this long?
Original post by Forget that
Great thanks- if you fail one of the tests (e.g etray) surely that would stop you from progressing in another scheme though? Ive been lead to believe its the same test for all schemes- in theory you could practice before if this is the case? I'll give it a go anyway Im just really nervous I passed all the tests last year and got rejected on the bloody written application, so glad they got rid of that this year.

Written application?
Original post by lumos28
I applied for the fast stream 2 days ago...and the online assessments are still locked, is this normal to have to wait this long?

Hi. The online tests are still locked for me too and I applied about 4 days ago, though I had to re-apply because I didn't realise that I was entitled to apply as a disabled person. When I initially applied as a non-disable person, the online tests unlocked about 2 hours after I received an email confirming receipt of my application. If you've applied as a non-disabled person, it could be that HR are trying to deal with all the e-tray results from those who have already applied (see earlier comments regarding the etray).

If your a disabled applicant, I'd assume that their reading the reasonable adjustment section of your application and tailoring the application to your specific needs. Hope this helps!
Quick question about the E-Tray - some of the practise test answers consider certain options to be 'ineffective' eg: Not responding to the email, rather than 'least effective,' as they don't solve the situation - this seemed rather clunky and confusing in the book I was practising, and I saw no mention of this before. Is this something you see in the actual test too, or is the least effective answer just the worst option?
Original post by AGneissDay
Quick question about the E-Tray - some of the practise test answers consider certain options to be 'ineffective' eg: Not responding to the email, rather than 'least effective,' as they don't solve the situation - this seemed rather clunky and confusing in the book I was practising, and I saw no mention of this before. Is this something you see in the actual test too, or is the least effective answer just the worst option?

all the answers are relevant
A friend who did her e tray just under 2 weeks ago found out she was unsuccessful last week ... I did mine before her and I'm still waiting to hear back!
Original post by JustCharley
A friend who did her e tray just under 2 weeks ago found out she was unsuccessful last week ... I did mine before her and I'm still waiting to hear back!

Really? What does this say for them releasing results mid-Nov?
Reply 839
Im still awaiting my reasonable udjustments to be put in place for my Etray test. I've now been waiting a month for this. Every week I call and they say that we'll be arranging this next week, but nothing. The application is really dragging out if I'm being honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending