The Student Room Group

Can you learn everything for A-level Biology from a CGP revision guide??

Is it possible to learn everything for A-level Biology from a CGP revision guide??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Philip-flop
Is it possible to learn everything for A-level Biology from a CGP revision guide??

I'm afraid not CGP is just summarising you have to know your stuff before using it I advise learning from the textbook and your teachers notes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
I'm afraid not CGP is just summarising you have to know your stuff before using it I advise learning from the textbook and your teachers notes

Posted from TSR Mobile

How would one go about self-teaching though?
Yes you can. Make concise notes from the spec using your revision guide, but if you don't understand anything you should go to a textbook for further info. After that just do past papers and you'll be fine.
If you're just going to look through the revision guide, don't expect to achieve those top grades. There's a reason why they're called 'revision guides' - the information you find there are not as detailed and as thorough as you'd find on textbooks. However, there are some very useful websites you could use for your study, like http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/biology. :smile:
Reply 5
How would one go about self-teaching though?

Definitely use the textbook and ppqs and you could refer to CGP after your revision which could jog your memory. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by honour
If you're just going to look through the revision guide, don't expect to achieve those top grades. There's a reason why they're called 'revision guides' - the information you find there are not as detailed and as thorough as you'd find on textbooks. However, there are some very useful websites you could use for your study, like http://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/biology. :smile:

I ask because last year I made tonnes of notes from reading the endorsed Edexcel Biology Salter's Nuffield textbook and finding material online but still found myself struggling for AS! I felt like I wasted a lot of time reading the endorsed textbook because there was so much irrelevant content (it rambles on too much). I then purchased a CGP revision book a month before the exam and learned so much more from that than I did from the endorsed textbook.

There's got to be a study method than reading through the endorsed textbook, making notes, and re-reading those notes? Any advice would be really appreciated :smile:
Original post by goal101
Definitely use the textbook and ppqs and you could refer to CGP after your revision which could jog your memory. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
watching youtube videos might help
Original post by HopelessMedic
Yes you can. Make concise notes from the spec using your revision guide, but if you don't understand anything you should go to a textbook for further info. After that just do past papers and you'll be fine.

Awesome! That's what I was thinking! I wasted so much time last year trying to read every single page of the endorsed textbook when I could have spent time reading content that's condensed into a CGP book and use the endorsed textbook as another reference :smile:

Original post by fefssdf
watching youtube videos might help

Thank you! I found that watching videos for AS helped me out a lot :smile:
I ask because last year I made tonnes of notes from reading the endorsed Edexcel Biology Salter's Nuffield textbook and finding material online but still found myself struggling for AS! I felt like I wasted a lot of time reading the endorsed textbook because there was so much irrelevant content (it rambles on too much). I then purchased a CGP revision book a month before the exam and learned so much more from that than I did from the endorsed textbook.

There's got to be a study method than reading through the endorsed textbook, making notes, and re-reading those notes? Any advice would be really appreciated :smile:

I see what you're trying to say. Sometimes textbooks do contain an awful lot of details. To be honest, it is better to read less detailed information that you can understand and remember, than looking through pages and pages of facts that don't make sense to you. So I think for you CGP revision guides are better. But don't forget the textbooks are there if you want to aim high.

Best of luck with your study! :smile:
Original post by honour
I see what you're trying to say. Sometimes textbooks do contain an awful lot of details. To be honest, it is better to read less detailed information that you can understand and remember, than looking through pages and pages of facts that don't make sense to you. So I think for you CGP revision guides are better. But don't forget the textbooks are there if you want to aim high.

Best of luck with your study! :smile:

Thank you!! :smile:

Hi there, i would advise you to get a text book aswel as the CGP guide, i found both very useful TOGETHER. I also found youtube biology teaching videos a great help.
Goodluck!
CGP also do textbooks! They don't ramble on either like most textbooks do.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
CGP also do textbooks! They don't ramble on either like most textbooks do.

Oh really? Do CGP do a textbook for Edexcel's A-level Biology A (Salters Nuffield)??!!
Oh really? Do CGP do a textbook for Edexcel's A-level Biology A (Salters Nuffield)??!!

No, they've only done AQA and OCR so far.
Original post by jessyjellytot14
No, they've only done AQA and OCR so far.

Typical. I really hate being on the new Edexcel Spec! :frown: :frown:
Original post by Mystelle

What the **** are you talking about don't expect to achieve those top grades, as it says in the book, the CPG revision guide contains EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO LEARN AND NOTHING YOU WONT, you only need to use the textbooks when you don't understand a concept so stfu.
Original post by Yung_Sav
What the **** are you talking about don't expect to achieve those top grades, as it says in the book, the CPG revision guide contains EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO LEARN AND NOTHING YOU WONT, you only need to use the textbooks when you don't understand a concept so stfu.

Lmfao, do yourself a favour and recheck the definition for both 'textbooks' and 'revision guides'. Otherwise, don't mind me and just use revision books for your entire revision. If you don't get all A*s, you'd only prove to yourself what a hilariously absurd point you made.
Well, CGP are not the best but they only make the topics easier to understand, do NOT depend on these only!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending