The Student Room Group

I give up

I literally hate myself more than I thought was possible, to the point where I avoid mirrors as a sport and 50% of the time want to hide in a corner at college because I feel so disgusting. I hate being surrounded by people my age, all of them perfectly normal, all of them pretty and living their lives, getting boyfriends and girlfriends. I feel like I'm missing so much, yet I can't do anything about it other than stand back and watch probably what's supposed to be the best years of my life, just go by. I was born with auto immune hypothyroidism which inevitably means I'm small. I'm just about 5' tall and I'm nearly 17, do you have any idea how depressing that is? I used to hate the side comments about looking like a child and that the only relationship I'll ever be in is one with a paedophile because that's all I'll ever be good enough for. The thing is, I don't hate those comments anymore, I'm numb to them. Once you accept it I guess it stops hurting, that's the best thing I ever did, accept it. At the end of the day I'll never be anything else to those people. That's rhe sad fact that I have to live with, maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get out early.

Anyone any advice? Because I'm all out of hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't give up babe x
Original post by Molly_lastname
I literally hate myself more than I thought was possible, to the point where I avoid mirrors as a sport and 50% of the time want to hide in a corner at college because I feel so disgusting. I hate being surrounded by people my age, all of them perfectly normal, all of them pretty and living their lives, getting boyfriends and girlfriends. I feel like I'm missing so much, yet I can't do anything about it other than stand back and watch probably what's supposed to be the best years of my life, just go by. I was born with auto immune hypothyroidism which inevitably means I'm small. I'm just about 5' tall and I'm nearly 17, do you have any idea how depressing that is? I used to hate the side comments about looking like a child and that the only relationship I'll ever be in is one with a paedophile because that's all I'll ever be good enough for. The thing is, I don't hate those comments anymore, I'm numb to them. Once you accept it I guess it stops hurting, that's the best thing I ever did, accept it. At the end of the day I'll never be anything else to those people. That's rhe sad fact that I have to live with, maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get out early.

I think short girls are pretty cute tbh
Reply 3
Nooo being that small shouldnt be depressing! (I'm basically same height). It's pint sized lovely and cute which many people love :smile:
being short is not a huge drawback for a girl. it is hard work valuing yourself when so much on the telly etc is superficial nonsense.
there are plenty of resources if things get bad.
5' isn't that bad for a girl. My brothers girlfriend is like 5' or 5'1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know a few women even shorter than you, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I'm 5'3 with shoes on. It sounds like you're really struggling so you should consider talking to someone, maybe a GP about it
Easy for us to say, but there are women a lot shorter. You probably arent going to be dating 6 footers (not impossible), but there are plenty of smaller men who would not see your height as a disadvantage at all. As they would number in the many millions, then you still have plenty of potentials. Worse for men.
Why are you letting your physical trait to undervalue yourself ? You are not embracing yourself and not loving who you are. I am the same height as you just about 153cm but although I hear people say stuff about my height, I don't really give a crap because your height is a part of u ! U need to learn to embrace it because it is something you can't change. Don't let the society determines how you feel about yourself. After all , if you don't love yourself, how do you love the others. I used to feel bad about myself too but I have learnt to accept who I am. Just because you are shorter than other people ,it doesn't determine how your life should be. Frankly for those people who commented my height, I think they are just people who are easily influenced by others and do what the society wants them to do. Just because you are differrnt, doesn't mean you life is going to be bad. There are other people who are disabled and can't even do what you can do. There is so much in life, I don't get how you can just give up just because you are short. No bf doesnt mean crap, u have bigger dreams right ? ...
(edited 7 years ago)
There are so many expectations, if you are constantly comparing yourself with that then you are living a very difficult life. No one can be perfect, so just make the best out of what you have and stop feeling bad because you are normal. Doesn't even matter if you are less than. 5 foot, if you have the confidence then you are good !
Reply 10
Don't give up. It's important to remember that nobody is judging you as harshly as you judge yourself. Try not to be so hard on yourself. Being short isn't a bad thing at all!
You're still really young. You've got your whole life ahead of you. Try and keep yourself busy. Maybe find a hobby that you're passionate about and spend as much time as you can with the people you care about. There's nothing worse than isolating yourself when you're feeling depressed.
If things are really bad I'd suggest seeing your doctor about getting some help. If you don't feel like you can do that, confiding in a parent or teacher is a good place to start.

What's wrong with being small. Girl, I'm 5 foot 3 and trust me it's wonderful. Hot guys are always taller than you, people like to do things for you and you are automatically classed as cute. Some girls like to try and insult my height, but at the end of the day we get the guys because we won't be looking down at our boyfriends being freakishly tall. Well I don't have a boyfriend.. but I'm sure you get what I'm saying. I see so many small girls with 6 foot tall boyfriends on the TV. Actually I rarely see tall guys going for tall girls so we are winning.
Embrace your height. It's fine to be petite, we look good in any clothes and shoes fit us perfectly.
Anyways, I hope I put a positive light on your height.

If these things are getting to you so much you may want to consider seeing a counselor or doctor about it. I can see why you would be upset by these things, but honestly you seem like youmay be a little over affected by them. Often an underlying issue like stress or other mental strains can cause any problem to seem bigger than it is. Mental health problems can vary a lot in severity and are a lot more common than you might think. Hypothyroidism can also make you more succeptible to mh issues. It's worth seeking some support about anything that is getting to you be it by talking to people you trust, a service like samaritans, counselling or childline or talking to a professional like a doctor or therapist. Small issues have a nasty way of building up over time and turning into something difficult to manage. If you feel like that is starting to happen get support so it can stop building up.

You can also check out mind.org and sane.org for info on all things mental health. Their advice is often expandable to more minor issues even if they are designed for a diagnosable condition so you can still have a look even if you don't think you have a "real mh condition". Depression and anxiety are usually a good place to start and have pretty helpful advice for any situation :smile:
if it makes you feel any better, I'm 4 foot 10 and 24 years old. the worst part about it is the annoying ease with which I can gain weight and look as though I'm pregnant.

nothing wrong with being 5 foot. I can only dream of reaching those astronomical heights.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would but they'll just diagnose me with a personality disorder, when in fact I just really dislike myself
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I know a few women even shorter than you, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I'm 5'3 with shoes on. It sounds like you're really struggling so you should consider talking to someone, maybe a GP about it
I would but they'll just diagnose me with a personality disorder, when in fact I just really dislike myself

Why would they diagnose you with a personality disorder? It doesn't sound like you have one from your OP. They might just be able to give you some support so you can feel better about yourself
Thanks for your help, I don't really want to go see a doctor or anything because they'll diagnose me as having anxiety or being depressed and I don't want to be labelled as being either. I want to feel okay about myself and stop hating myself so much but it seems impossible, and I don't want to seek the help of a professional just to be given anti-depressants and living the rest of my life with having some form of chemical lying to my brain. It just doesn't seem like living...
Original post by Kindred
If these things are getting to you so much you may want to consider seeing a counselor or doctor about it. I can see why you would be upset by these things, but honestly you seem like youmay be a little over affected by them. Often an underlying issue like stress or other mental strains can cause any problem to seem bigger than it is. Mental health problems can vary a lot in severity and are a lot more common than you might think. Hypothyroidism can also make you more succeptible to mh issues. It's worth seeking some support about anything that is getting to you be it by talking to people you trust, a service like samaritans, counselling or childline or talking to a professional like a doctor or therapist. Small issues have a nasty way of building up over time and turning into something difficult to manage. If you feel like that is starting to happen get support so it can stop building up.

You can also check out mind.org and sane.org for info on all things mental health. Their advice is often expandable to more minor issues even if they are designed for a diagnosable condition so you can still have a look even if you don't think you have a "real mh condition". Depression and anxiety are usually a good place to start and have pretty helpful advice for any situation :smile:
Do I take that chance though?
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Why would they diagnose you with a personality disorder? It doesn't sound like you have one from your OP. They might just be able to give you some support so you can feel better about yourself
I know so many people who would disagree
Original post by NotGodofWorld
I think short girls are pretty cute tbh
I know so many people who would disagree

But who cares though, height is such a trivial thing about someone

I've seen ton of really short girls and I think they look sweet and I'm sure alot of my friends would agree

Quick Reply

Latest