The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Aerospace Engineering with Pilot Studies vs Aerospace Engineering with Space Tech?

Hello one and all,

I shall be going to Hertfordshire in 2015 to study Aerospace Engineering with either Space Technology or Pilot Studies.
I have a good chance of getting the grades for both courses (and the extended degree if all goes to rat) however the problem is that I'm not sure which one to go for.

Just as a bit of background I have a great interest in anything that flies and engineering in general, I was also in the Air Training Corps and have started training for my PPL.

The attraction of the Pilot Studies is obviously the flying training and the "hands on" nature of it. However I also have a great interest in space (the ultimate aim would be to try for astronaut training) which is why I was looking at the Space Technology option.

I have heard that one can still do flying with the Space Technology course but i guess that it is more expensive and has to be done in one's free time.
Both courses do look amazing.

I was wondering if i can get any advice from students who are already on the course (or those who are also taking it in 2015) as to what would be the best course for me to take? and whether anyone knows if there is much flying done with the Space Technology course?

Thanks in advance,
Cosmic Gentleman.
Reply 1
Hi,

I am on the Aerospace Systems Engineering with Pilot Studies course. The modules for the first year for the Pilot Studies and Space Tech are the same, so no worries there. You can probably change before the end of your first year if you wanted to change, but essentially, as you've already started your PPL, it helps towards the Pilot Studies because you need to do 12 hours minimum and PPL ground school in second year to pass a module. But well, seeing as your already underway with your PPL, then you may find second year boring as you will be doing topics you already know. So if you want to learn something new, go for Space Tech.

I chose Pilot Studies as i intend to become a commercial pilot, so makes more sense for me to go through that degree route.

Hope this helps,

George Newton
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
Hi George,

Cheers for the information. I knew that the courses were the same for the first year but i did not know that switching was a possibility, that's a back up I shall keep in mind.

I thought the 12 hours flying was only done in the third/fourth year and that only the ground school was done in the second year of the Pilot Studies course?

There's plenty of stuff I don't know so I highly doubt I shall find it boring, that being said, learning new stuff in space tech does look quite attractive, the main deciding factor would be the amount of flying offered on each course.

Cosmic Gentleman
Reply 3
Hi,

Yeah the flying is "recommended" to be done at the end of your second year as you will have learnt the ground school stuff for a PPL in year 2..... BUT it's only recommended, I personally will be doing it in the summer (So end of 1st year) as my ambition is to be a pilot so want to start early, and do the addition licences further into my studies.

That said in mind, the flying is not free with the degree For pilot studies, we are the only students that have to have 12 hours flying to pass a module. We can do this locally at Stapleford at a discounted rate (10%) or over in Michigan US. I will be doing it over at Stapleford as I live not to far from there and I've flown there before but that choice is yours.

Regards,

George
Hi,

I see, well it's good to know one can get in to the actual flying relatively quickly. I know it's not free but I think I can budget well enough to afford it. Any flying I can do at the moment is already expensive so I will jump at the chance to fly with any sort of discount.

Well I have set my firm and insurance choices down now any way, I shall be going with the Pilot Studies and have the extended degree as my insurance.

Yeah having the airfield practically on your doorstep must be great. Michigan does look good as well but I think I'll see what things look like at the time.

I have one last question, you said you can train for additional licenses further into your studies, what ones are offered and what ones are you looking at doing?

Regards,
Cosmic Gentleman
Reply 5
Hi,

Well the additional licenses are not through the university, you wont need them to pass. I will just personally in my own free time pay and train for the additional licenses i.e NR, IR, ME, MCC, CPL.

Stapleford offer training from no experience all the way up to flying for a commercial company, but it is not required for you to do so for the Degree.

Regards,

George
Hi,

That's brilliant that they offer training for additional licenses.
Thanks for the information and I look forward to investigating it further when I get into the university.

Good luck with your training

Regards,
Cosmic Gentleman
I am also thinking applying for the Aerospace Systems Engineering with Pilot Studies course
and aerospace engineering with pilot studies course

but what is the difference between the aeropace engineer and aerospace system can someone labroate and explain the difference please
Reply 8
Hi,

Aerospace systems focus' more on the onboard systems and avionics whereas straight aerospace engineering looks more at the aerodynamics and structures/stresses on an aircraft

On the herts website there should be a breakdown of modules for each stream

Hope this helps
Original post by ItsNewts
Hi,

Aerospace systems focus' more on the onboard systems and avionics whereas straight aerospace engineering looks more at the aerodynamics and structures/stresses on an aircraft

Hope this helps

Thank you very much
ive been trying to find out for ages!
Hi,

Hope this helps

Hi, Well the additional licenses are not through the university, you wont need them to pass. I will just personally in my own free time pay and train for the additional licenses i.e NR, IR, ME, MCC, CPL. Stapleford offer training from no experience all the way up to flying for a commercial company, but it is not required for you to do so for the Degree. Regards, George

Thank you very much I am applying for your course at Uni and hope to meet you in person if i get the chance

I am also thinking of becoming a commercial pilot and aeropace engineer that is my dream and passion

Is there a flight school nearby Hertforshire university and also is there a universty air squadron aswell....
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Great, good choice!
Hertfordshire university have links to stapleford flight centre which is not too far and you get 15% discount.

Hertfordshire is part of the London University Air Squadron. You can apply during freshers fair

Regards
Original post by Shadowfire123
Thank you very much I am applying for your course at Uni and hope to meet you in person if i get the chance

I am also thinking of becoming a commercial pilot and aeropace engineer that is my dream and passion

Is there a flight school nearby Hertforshire university and also is there a universty air squadron aswell....
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Great, good choice!
Hertfordshire university have links to stapleford flight centre which is not too far and you get 15% discount.

Hertfordshire is part of the London University Air Squadron. You can apply during freshers fair

Regards

HI Im happy to hear this news
is the pilot studie an NPPL which is offered at the University
and is the aerospace system engineer course any different to the aerospace engineer
is it possible that you do the course for Aerospace Engineering and when you graduate and do a ATPL instead of the pilot studies as you have to do the PPL again
Original post by Shadowfire123
is it possible that you do the course for Aerospace Engineering and when you graduate and do a ATPL instead of the pilot studies as you have to do the PPL again

Hi,

Above states the general differences between systems and just aerospace. You can do an ATPL with already a PPL, just some schools like to teach you from scratch.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Above states the general differences between systems and just aerospace. You can do an ATPL with already a PPL, just some schools like to teach you from scratch.

Thank you very much - sorry for the late reply

i absolutely clearly understand it
hi my names Wasswa i was wondering what university you went to and the other universities you applied to and does the course offer a ppl for free or does it come with the course.
I graduated the University of Hertfordshire in September 2018 and am now studying MSc Astronautics and Space Engineering. The PPL is not free, you get a 15% discount through Stapleford or the chance to go to Michigan to complete the minimum 20 hours required for the course. But all flying is an additional cost on top of the university fees
Original post by willfrey
hi my names Wasswa i was wondering what university you went to and the other universities you applied to and does the course offer a ppl for free or does it come with the course.
Reply 18
do you still intend to be a commercial pilot?

Quick Reply

Latest