The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Lúcio
It hasn't at all. From open play we're pretty damn solid but just tend to let ourselves down from set pieces.

6-1 > 5-0 anyway
The phrase "clean sheet" is a statistic that means absolutely nothing.

Tell that to Conte.

It's always better thrashing somebody to nil as well.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Tell that to Conte.

It's always better thrashing somebody to nil as well.

Pls don't get cocky pal - look at the table!

Might be good for morale if you're a defensive side. 6-1 gives same GD at 5-0 but more goals scored which is the first tie if you're on equal points and GD.
Liverpool don't put 7 guys behind the ball.

Their inability to keep a clean sheet is shocking tbf. Good defence's win you titles.
(edited 7 years ago)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478461850.870839.jpg

Great stat but that's definitely not as many as I thought the record would be...
Shearer made a very good point on MOTD2 last night - regardless of how good your attack is, there will come a game where either we aren't on it, or we're stupidly unlucky.

The deciding factor in these games will be whether our defence can hold without our attacking threat. It happened at Burnley and it'll happen several more times this season, no doubt about it.

That being said, I do think our game management is improving. Against West Brom and Palace we found ourselves only a goal ahead but managed to control the game and get the win. The match yesterday is hard to use as an indicator because the game was long over before Watford scored.

I can't wait for that one game where it all clicks and we beat somebody 10-1 :biggrin:
Reply 105
Original post by Rk2k14

Their inability to keep a clean sheet is shocking tbf. Good defence's win you titles.

First it was 10 behind the ball now it's 7. Lets leave our defence open because footballing etiquette. Not like we don't score shedloads of goals when we play dead teams regardless.

Not going to lie. I'm Jelly and Mirin </3

this is the sort of passion i want for UTD :frown:
I was at the game yesterday, was sat next to a Dutch guy who'd come over from Amsterdam especially for the game. He nearly started crying when Wijnaldum scored, I said "You alright mate?" to him, he replied "He's my favourite player, I came over for this game because I thought he'd score".
Reply 108
Original post by Rk2k14

Right so..

Goals wins you games.
Winning games give you more points
Having most points wins you league titles

But defence = league titles? You're as bad as Garth Crooks.

Original post by Lúcio
Shearer made a very good point on MOTD2 last night - regardless of how good your attack is, there will come a game where either we aren't on it, or we're stupidly unlucky.

The deciding factor in these games will be whether our defence can hold without our attacking threat. It happened at Burnley and it'll happen several more times this season, no doubt about it.

That being said, I do think our game management is improving. Against West Brom and Palace we found ourselves only a goal ahead but managed to control the game and get the win. The match yesterday is hard to use as an indicator because the game was long over before Watford scored.

I can't wait for that one game where it all clicks and we beat somebody 10-1 :biggrin:

Nah that's stupid logic. It's the same as if you were to rely on your defence to squeeze through wins - eventually your defence will make more mistakes than usual and you won't win either. The simple answer is that you need to be good to great all over the pitch to win games.

We've conceded very few goals from open play this season. The goal last night was a mistake from switching off. You see 3 players run towards the ball (Henderson the worst culprit imo) and no one tracks or blocks the runner.

Spurs have only conceded 6 goals in 11 games (no more than 1 a game yet) with 5 clean sheets. Yet they have drawn 6 games. We've dropped points in 3 games so far. In the games we conceded 2 and 3 goals (Palace and Arsenal) we still went on to win.

Ps why is Garth Crooks a moron?

Liverpool are riding high at the moment largely because of Coutinho's exploits, but should the Reds fail to win a trophy this season he may end up at a club that can.

Right.. let's ignore that Coutinho has 5 goals of the 30 league goals we've scored. Obviously the likes of Mane, Firmino and Lallana have done nothing :facepalm:
Reply 109
Original post by trapking

Not going to lie. I'm Jelly and Mirin </3

this is the sort of passion i want for UTD :frown:

Yea Mourinho isn't going to be that guy..
Original post by Zerforax
Yea Mourinho isn't going to be that guy..

Ik :frown: and that makes me really sad.

I look at Chelsea and see passion in the manager and the players who believe in his philosophies.

I look at Liverpool I see the same passion as above.

I look at Arsenal I see the same.

I look at Tottenham I see the same.

Then there's us....with a poisonous atmosphere already surrounding us and players who don't quite know what the manager wants and a manager who just likes to point fingers of blame at someone all the time. We have fallen greatly.
Reply 111
Ik :frown: and that makes me really sad.

I look at Chelsea and see passion in the manager and the players who believe in his philosophies.

I look at Liverpool I see the same passion as above.

I look at Arsenal I see the same.

I look at Tottenham I see the same.

Then there's us....with a poisonous atmosphere already surrounding us and players who don't quite know what the manager wants and a manager who just likes to point fingers of blame at someone all the time. We have fallen greatly.

Don't worry - everyone else is enjoying it :biggrin:

I'm not sure it's going to get better for you quickly. Next 5 league games are tough and you need to win the EL group games if you want to qualify.
Don't worry - everyone else is enjoying it :biggrin:

I'm not sure it's going to get better for you quickly. Next 5 league games are tough and you need to win the EL group games if you want to qualify.

We won't challenge for the title this season. That will be between Liverpool (if you don't bottle it against the smaller sides)/City and Chelsea. Arsenal will probably drop points as usual.

I'm just hoping we can scrape top 4 at the end of the season then hopefully Mourinho can sell all the deadwood and start rebuilding Utd completely from the back bone...then we can start our proper come back to the top were we belong.
Reply 113
We won't challenge for the title this season. That will be between Liverpool (if you don't bottle it against the smaller sides)/City and Chelsea. Arsenal will probably drop points as usual.

I'm just hoping we can scrape top 4 at the end of the season then hopefully Mourinho can sell all the deadwood and start rebuilding Utd completely from the back bone...then we can start our proper come back to the top were we belong.

Mourinho is a tough one.. if things are going well then it's great but if it's going badly then he burns so many bridges. He made his second tenure at Chelsea untenable in the end and I wouldn't be surprised if he does the same at Man Utd.

That said, the lack of alternatives might mean he gets more than one season if he fails to get top 4 (despite spending so much money).
Right so..

Goals wins you games.

Nah that's stupid logic. It's the same as if you were to rely on your defence to squeeze through wins - eventually your defence will make more mistakes than usual and you won't win either. The simple answer is that you need to be good to great all over the pitch to win games.

We've conceded very few goals from open play this season. The goal last night was a mistake from switching off. You see 3 players run towards the ball (Henderson the worst culprit imo) and no one tracks or blocks the runner.

Spurs have only conceded 6 goals in 11 games (no more than 1 a game yet) with 5 clean sheets. Yet they have drawn 6 games. We've dropped points in 3 games so far. In the games we conceded 2 and 3 goals (Palace and Arsenal) we still went on to win.

Right.. let's ignore that Coutinho has 5 goals of the 30 league goals we've scored. Obviously the likes of Mane, Firmino and Lallana have done nothing :facepalm:

In fairness, there's little you can complain about Liverpool except their defence. In reality I agree with you that we aren't bad defensively, but rival fans need to exaggerate our flaws. Love how they're all saying we can't keep up our high pressing game all season, as if Klopp hasn't been training this with the players for over a year...

I'm very content with us only conceding 1 goal a game - sometimes 2 - considering how easy it is for us to score right now. People keep saying our defence will cost us, but until it does they don't really have a leg to stand on.

Most of the pundits are idiots - Crooks is in love with Coutinho and thinks we'll be useless without him. On the other hand you have pundits you just can't win with. When we were beating big teams it was "can they do it against the smaller sides?", and now we're beating smaller teams it's "can they do it against the top clubs?" :colonhash:

The fact of the matter is that after 11 games and the hardest fixtures, we're top of the table. We have great fixtures coming up too but we need to not be complacent since one slip up and we drop to 4th...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 115
Original post by Lúcio
In fairness, there's little you can complain about Liverpool except their defence. In reality I agree with you that we aren't bad defensively, but rival fans need to exaggerate our flaws. Love how they're all saying we can't keep up our high pressing game all season, as if Klopp hasn't been training this with the players for over a year...

I'm very content with us only conceding 1 goal a game - sometimes 2 - considering how easy it is for us to score right now. People keep saying our defence will cost us, but until it does they don't really have a leg to stand on.

Most of the pundits are idiots - Crooks is in love with Coutinho and thinks we'll be useless without him. On the other hand you have pundits you just can't win with. When we were beating big teams it was "can they do it against the smaller sides?", and now we're beating smaller teams it's "can they do it against the top clubs?" :colonhash:

The fact of the matter is that after 11 games and the hardest fixtures, we're top of the table. We have great fixtures coming up too but we need to not be complacent since one slip up and we drop to 4th...

Some stats of chances created against us would be interesting tbh. Matip has been fantastic and we still haven't really had a 100% settled backline when you consider Milner missed the last game and then Lovren missed this one.

Main thing really is that teams will play us expecting to be blown away and we will play teams with the players knowing that a goal will come for us sooner or later - both huge advantages for us.

International break come at an annoying time once again. Would've preferred to play Southampton ASAP. Fingers crossed no one gets injured with so many players going away.
Reply 116
Gerrard might be retiring soon after LA Galaxy got knocked out of the MLS play-offs.

Not sure how I feel about Gerrard coming back to the club this season.. I feel like he'd want us to win too much and it would put pressure on the squad?
Gerrard might be retiring soon after LA Galaxy got knocked out of the MLS play-offs.

Not sure how I feel about Gerrard coming back to the club this season.. I feel like he'd want us to win too much and it would put pressure on the squad?

I don't think having Giggs sniffing around constantly after his playing career ended did us any good. If Klopp had any sense he'd put him in charge of the under 18s or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by sr90
I don't think having Giggs sniffing around constantly after his playing career ended did us any good. If Klopp had any sense he'd put him in charge of the under 18s or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess Giggs always wanted the job and then thought Moyes and LVG were incompetent/not running the show as a Man Utd manager should (with the high standards of SAF in mind). Giggs being given the job on an interim basis probably didn't help.

Klopp already has his trusted team in place so maybe Gerrard wouldn't be able to get in such a position?

Agreed though that it should be a small role with the U18 or somewhere away from direct involvement with the first team straight away.

His experience and support for the club would be invaluable. Just wonder if he is true top manager material.
Right so..

Goals wins you games.

Would have thought a Liverpool fan of all people would understand that just scoring goals doesn't win you a title.

Then again you haven't won one in over 25 years so your lack of knowledge is excusable.
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest