The Student Room Group

Fractions

Apparanty the answer to this is 23/6 I'm not sure how as I done something different ?
Reply 1
Original post by JackT2000
Apparanty the answer to this is 23/6 I'm not sure how as I done something different ?

Here's the question

image.jpg
Here's the question

Your answer is exactly the same except you expressed it in a mixed fraction form. Simply simplify your answer as a single fraction.
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
Your answer is exactly the same except you expressed it in a mixed fraction form. Simply simplify your answer as a single fraction.

But it is s top heavy fraction aren't you always supposed to convert it to a mixed fraction?
Its the same answer as said above ^, 23/6 is achieved by dividing 115/30 by 5. You just turned it back into a mixed fraction so its not top heavy.
Reply 5

If that was in an exam would I get full marks for writing it as a mixed number instead of just simplifying?
But it is s top heavy fraction aren't you always supposed to convert it to a mixed fraction?

Not unless you're asked to. Either form works in my opinion but I'd prefer to have it in the improper fraction form.
Reply 7
Not unless you're asked to. Either form works in my opinion but I'd prefer to have it in the improper fraction form.

Would I lose marks for giving my final answer in mixed form?

I doubt it. If the question doesn't specify which form to leave your answer in then you should good with either.

No (unless told to give in a specific form), but often it is helpful to have the answer in improper form to use later
Reply 10
Original post by an_atheist
No (unless told to give in a specific form), but often it is helpful to have the answer in improper form to use later

So just to clarify is my answer to the question above correct as the question doesn't ask to give my final answer in mixed number ?
So just to clarify is my answer to the question above correct as the question doesn't ask to give my final answer in mixed number ?

Yes, the values are the same, but yours is nominally incorrect because its not in simplest terms which is what will be asked for in the exams.
Reply 12
Original post by an_atheist
Yes, the values are the same, but yours is nominally incorrect because its not in simplest terms which is what will be asked for in the exams.

Ok thanks I was just curious as I have my first mock tomorrow and it's non calculator

Quick Reply

Latest