The Student Room Group

Swimming trunks or speedos?

Poll

Which do you wear?

Which ones do you wear? Which ones better?

I've always been a swimming trunks fan but for competitive swimming apparently it's a disadvantage? I am going to enter a swimming gala this week and was wondering what people tend to wear at those and whether it makes a difference?
Original post by hoping4thebest
Which ones do you wear? Which ones better?

I've always been a swimming trunks fan but for competitive swimming apparently it's a disadvantage? I am going to enter a swimming gala this week and was wondering what people tend to wear at those and whether it makes a difference?

What do you mean by trunks? The board shorts type or the half way up the thigh length
Most of the guys on my swim team wear speedos or racing suits at swim meets but I don't know it's not much of a difference I think unless you're trying to get a qualifying time or something
I'm a trunks kind of guy myself.
Trunks are a huge disadvantage, the added water resistance will slow you down massively.

Im not a fan of speedos so when I was swimming competitively I wore those tight knee lenght shorts, called jammwrs for some reason, they arent too expensive and are much better than the alternatives.
For competitive swimming, speedos (the actual term is swim briefs, speedo is a brand of them) can help since they re more streamlined so will give you a little bit of advantage in terms of speed. Trunks are also heavier and do slow you down. I swim a lot and everyone in my relay team and the other team at galas wears speedos. If you need to buy one, this is the best one out of all the ones I own
http://www.speedostore.co.uk/mens-speedo-fit-printed-splice-brief/8103738885.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Briefs are a lot better than trunks or jammers for competitive swimming
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ladbants
For competitive swimming, speedos (the actual term is swim briefs, speedo is a brand of them) can help since they re more streamlined so will give you a little bit of advantage in terms of speed. Trunks are also heavier and do slow you down. I swim a lot and everyone in my relay team and the other team at galas wears speedos. If you need to buy one, this is the best one out of all the onesI've tried
http://www.speedostore.co.uk/mens-speedo-fit-printed-splice-brief/8103738885.html

Speedos show the bulge though
Original post by Taran001
What do you mean by trunks? The board shorts type or the half way up the thigh length

The board shorts type
Speedos don't cover the awrah for men
Original post by akbar0123
Speedos don't cover the awrah for men

OP isn't Muslim...
Original post by Ladbants
OP isn't Muslim...

Doesn't matter. It's a fact that men have to cover the area between the waist and the knee.
Doesn't matter. It's a fact that men have to cover the area between the waist and the knee.

It's not a law in the uk though
Go for jammers, they are the most streamlined
http://www.speedostore.co.uk/mens-endurance-jammer/800722.html
Original post by serions871
It's not a law in the uk though

Btw, jammer shorts are actually more streamlined like the guy above said
Btw, jammer shorts are actually more streamlined like the guy above said

He might see a girls ankle or something more if the pool has women in it!!!!!!

But I would recommend getting yourself something streamlined that suits you. and dont worry too much about the bulge.
speedos :wink:
Original post by AperfectBalance
He might see a girls ankle or something more if the pool has women in it!!!!!!

But I would recommend getting yourself something streamlined that suits you. and dont worry too much about the bulge.

Yeah that's true, but at schools swimming lessons are done separately for boys and girls so he'll be fine
Yeah that's true, but at schools swimming lessons are done separately for boys and girls so he'll be fine

Ours were together as we have this thing called equality.

Original post by AperfectBalance
Ours were together as we have this thing called equality.

Burn.

Quick Reply

Latest