The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London

Do you think University of Greenwich will be a top university in a few years?

I'm going to University of Greenwich next year because the campus is beautiful and it's in the centre of London which is amazing but I'm surprised that the university is not even in the national top 50 university at moment. I have researched a bit that the university is rising every year by a few places but I really hope that it continues to get better because it's such as a beautiful university. I also saw that new facilities are being built and the entry requirement were raised a few years ago? However, I still think they should raise it a bit more so that the students doesn't let down the university. What do you guys think?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Already is.
On campus at University of Greenwich
University of Greenwich
London
the university is indeed beautiful. greenwhich peninsula, the area, is quite nice too.
No. It would require massive changes to the course content, entry standards and the amount of funding it receives. Rankings wise it fluctuates, but hasn't gone up significantly and that is unlikely to change over the course of a few years.
Reply 4
Original post by RachaelBee
No. It would require massive changes to the course content, entry standards and the amount of funding it receives. Rankings wise it fluctuates, but hasn't gone up significantly and that is unlikely to change over the course of a few years.

I heard that they are aiming to be in the top 50 in the UK so if that's their goal then I'm assuming they will make these changes gradually. They already have raised the entry requirement for the courses they offer in 2013 and I saw that the average UCAS requirement for Greenwich is in the middle in the league above universities that are in the top 50 which is good but I do still think they should raise it a bit more. The requirements they ask for are usually BBB in A-Levels or equivalent which is decent. I don't know about course content but they probably do need to improve them. I think they started offering High Achievement scholarship just this year which I would say would increase the students coming here with better grades. The campus looks amazing which I think will attract a lot of students, especially international students which it already is and it's in the centre of London which is even better. I think Greenwich receives a lot of funding as they are building new facilities and the it's changing a lot so hopefully after I graduate it will a top university in the top 50 at least :smile:
Original post by ryan1901
I'm going to University of Greenwich next year because the campus is beautiful and it's in the centre of London which is amazing but I'm surprised that the university is not even in the national top 50 university at moment. I have researched a bit that the university is rising every year by a few places but I really hope that it continues to get better because it's such as a beautiful university. I also saw that new facilities are being built and the entry requirement were raised a few years ago? However, I still think they should raise it a bit more so that the students doesn't let down the university. What do you guys think?

What you're asking is whether Greenwich will ever rival Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics, Durham, St Andrews and the likes.

I high highly doubt it.
Reply 6
Original post by PostGrad221
What you're asking is whether Greenwich will ever rival Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics, Durham, St Andrews and the likes.

I high highly doubt it.

That's impossible! No I just meant within the top 50 university in the UK xD
I heard that they are aiming to be in the top 50 in the UK so if that's their goal then I'm assuming they will make these changes gradually. They already have raised the entry requirement for the courses they offer in 2013 and I saw that the average UCAS requirement for Greenwich is in the middle in the league above universities that are in the top 50 which is good but I do still think they should raise it a bit more. The requirements they ask for are usually BBB in A-Levels or equivalent which is decent. I don't know about course content but they probably do need to improve them. I think they started offering High Achievement scholarship just this year which I would say would increase the students coming here with better grades. The campus looks amazing which I think will attract a lot of students, especially international students which it already is and it's in the centre of London which is even better. I think Greenwich receives a lot of funding as they are building new facilities and the it's changing a lot so hopefully after I graduate it will a top university in the top 50 at least :smile:

Lots of universities offer high achievement scholarships though, not just Greenwich, they're pretty common. The campus isn't actually very central if it comes to nights out; I live a mile away (albeit north of the river) and it's a bit of a nightmare to get home, although I must admit it's a beautiful spot and a nice quiet place to live. Greenwich had a £1.29million endowment last year (less than in the previous 4 years), and that's a tiny amount compared to other unis. Oxford and Cambridge are into the billions of pounds, 8 unis fall into the £100mil - £500mil and half of those are in London, and this money gets invested into facilities and scholarships/bursaries. At KCL I qualify for more financial support than I did at Greenwich and I get it in a more useful form.

Basically I think the whole system is a bit messed up, and unis which could do fantastic things with the money to level out the playing field don't get as much invested in them so it's a bit of a hard cycle to break. :/

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_universities_by_endowment#Endowments_below_.C2.A325_million
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Lots of universities offer high achievement scholarships though, not just Greenwich, they're pretty common. The campus isn't actually very central if it comes to nights out; I live a mile away (albeit north of the river) and it's a bit of a nightmare to get home, although I must admit it's a beautiful spot and a nice quiet place to live. Greenwich had a £1.29million endowment last year (less than in the previous 4 years), and that's a tiny amount compared to other unis. Oxford and Cambridge are into the billions of pounds, 8 unis fall into the £100mil - £500mil and half of those are in London, and this money gets invested into facilities and scholarships/bursaries. At KCL I qualify for more financial support than I did at Greenwich and I get it in a more useful form.

Basically I think the whole system is a bit messed up, and unis which could do fantastic things with the money to level out the playing field don't get as much invested in them so it's a bit of a hard cycle to break. :/

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_universities_by_endowment#Endowments_below_.C2.A325_million

Thanks for the information I've learned something new ;D Yeah they're getting pretty low endowment compared to top universities and I also see a pattern where the higher you are in the league the more funds they receive which I think it isn't fair also. But anyway back to Greenwich University they are getting a lot of money from their research like £24m which is apparently growing and also they are receiving a lot of money for building new facilities spending over £250m or more. I'm not saying the university will be competing with Russell groups but at least in the top 50. Also Greenwich has gotten better in terms of hiring qualified teachers and helping graduates have employability skills and experience which I see a lot of students in old forums complain about teachers not explaining lectures properly or graduates not getting jobs after graduating. All the facilities are improving so yeah that's why I think it's going to be a top 50 university in the future. I just hope they increase the entry to at least ABB for most subjects with relevant subject to what they are taking and if the course requires mathematics and they have a equivalent qualification then it should be a B at least instead of a C for GCSEs.

Here is the link where I got information :smile:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/greenwich/
Reply 9

Thanks for the information I've learned something new ;D Yeah it's common for most universities to offer High Achievement Scholarship but I'm just saying that now that they offer it to students it will help them get students with better grades as top universities doesn't offer you scholarship if you have ABB because they expect you to have them grades. Yeah they're getting pretty low endowment compared to top universities and I also see a pattern where the higher you are in the league the more funds they receive which I think it isn't fair also. But anyway back to Greenwich University they are getting a lot of money from their research like £24m which is apparently growing and also they are receiving a lot of money for building new facilities spending over £250m or more. I'm not saying the university will be competing with Russell groups but at least in the top 50. Also Greenwich has gotten better in terms of hiring qualified teachers and helping graduates have employability skills and experience which I see a lot of students in old forums complain about teachers not explaining lectures properly or graduates not getting jobs after graduating. All the facilities are improving so yeah that's why I think it's going to be a top 50 university in the future. I just hope they increase the entry to at least ABB for most subjects with relevant subject to what they are taking and if the course requires mathematics and they have a equivalent qualification then it should be a B at least instead of a C for GCSEs.

Thanks for the information I've learned something new ;D Yeah it's common for most universities to offer High Achievement Scholarship but I'm just saying that now that they offer it to students it will help them get students with better grades as top universities doesn't offer you scholarship if you have ABB because they expect you to have them grades. Yeah they're getting pretty low endowment compared to top universities and I also see a pattern where the higher you are in the league the more funds they receive which I think it isn't fair also. But anyway back to Greenwich University they are getting a lot of money from their research like £24m which is apparently growing and also they are receiving a lot of money for building new facilities spending over £250m or more. I'm not saying the university will be competing with Russell groups but at least in the top 50. Also Greenwich has gotten better in terms of hiring qualified teachers and helping graduates have employability skills and experience which I see a lot of students in old forums complain about teachers not explaining lectures properly or graduates not getting jobs after graduating. All the facilities are improving so yeah that's why I think it's going to be a top 50 university in the future. I just hope they increase the entry to at least ABB for most subjects with relevant subject to what they are taking and if the course requires mathematics and they have a equivalent qualification then it should be a B at least instead of a C for GCSEs.

There are still top 25 universities offering the scholarships though and 24 million still isn't a massive amount sadly. Basically I would love to see you be right (and I will be keeping an eye out to see how UoG does!); I studied there so I have a soft spot for Greenwich, plus I have friends who still are studying there and I want the best for them, I just don't see ANY university being capable of doing huge amount to turn around its ranking so drastically because the system is messed up. Outside of finances I can't really compare; my only point of comparison is Russell Group, but regarding the whole employability thing, I was shocked how much focus KCL put on it and all the extra opportunities which I have compared to Greenwich and it's something Greenwich lecturers said they can't even come close to offering. The focus is both a blessing and a curse because whilst Greenwich was teaching us how to write essays, the same module elsewhere is focused on a career and I know career is useful long run, but in the short term we all just want to pass our degrees! And whilst student satisfaction is a good thing it's so hard to use as a judgement because nobody can compare and different unis expect different things of their students.
no unless they make their standards higher they accept anyone !! and the teaching isnt good i havent learnt a thing !! I'm there doing computer science and I hate it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending