The Student Room Group

Anyone currently on a gap year?

I'm on a gap year and I have some exams to resit next summer. I've also been applying for lots of jobs, it is so difficult.

Scroll to see replies

I'm on a gap year too! Just keeping applying, I'm sure you'll get a job soon :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jemmaaa0853
I'm on a gap year too! Just keeping applying, I'm sure you'll get a job soon :smile:

Thank you :wink: What are you currently doing?
Original post by anonest
Thank you :wink: What are you currently doing?

Volunteering once a week and a part time college course!
Original post by anonest
I'm on a gap year and I have some exams to resit next summer. I've also been applying for lots of jobs, it is so difficult.

I'm on a few gap years truth be told :rofl:
Somehow holding down two jobs aswell
Reply 5
Original post by jemmaaa0853
Volunteering once a week and a part time college course!

Wow that's good 😊
Reply 6
[QUOTE=AngryRedhead;68344112]I'm on a few gap years truth be told :rofl:
Somehow holding down two jobs aswell

Same I might have more than one gap year. Looking for a job is such a struggle 😪
I'm on a gap year,cause I didn't do my adjustment clearing on time,and the uni was in london and I wanted it to be out of london so I can gain more confidence and other skills.Yeah jobs are difficult,somehow though for me I'm a nursery assistant but the pay is bad for the amount of hours I work.Fortunately though an teaching assistant agency has said they will be glad If I worked with them so that's the plan plus I will earn about £350 a week.So by the time I start uni next year,I would save off from a lot of debt(i'm also entitled to an academic excellence scholarship).I think if you try the early education sector to see weather they are part time vacancies;hopefully this helps.
Original post by anonest
Same I might have more than one gap year. Looking for a job is such a struggle 😪

I know :frown: it can be difficult, just try to get some voluntary experience in the area you're looking at getting into
Reply 9
Original post by 2ne1Aaron
I'm on a gap year,cause I didn't do my adjustment clearing on time,and the uni was in london and I wanted it to be out of london so I can gain more confidence and other skills.Yeah jobs are difficult,somehow though for me I'm a nursery assistant but the pay is bad for the amount of hours I work.Fortunately though an teaching assistant agency has said they will be glad If I worked with them so that's the plan plus I will earn about £350 a week.So by the time I start uni next year,I would save off from a lot of debt(i'm also entitled to an academic excellence scholarship).I think if you try the early education sector to see weather they are part time vacancies;hopefully this helps.

I did my year 10 work experience at a nursery and I did not like it. I'm just not very good with kids.
Reply 10
I will soon start a voluntary work at a hospital. But I am also thinking of doing some voluntary at charity shops as well.
Reply 11
Original post by anonest
I will soon start a voluntary work at a hospital. But I am also thinking of doing some voluntary at charity shops as well.

Why are you on one??
Yup on gap year, so far done **** all.

But starting to slowly get my life together so it's all good :-)
I'm on a gap year as I did really badly at AS, so my teachers wouldn't have been supportive of me applying to university. I got BCC this year at A level, and I'm predicted ABB for next year as I'm retaking A2 modules in 2017 (I personally think I could get AAB, but ABB was the best prediction I could get out of my old school). I'm also doing an AS in French and an IGCSE in English through distance learning, which I'm predicted B and A/A* in both respectively.
I sent my application off on the 13th of October (I think), and so far I have a conditional offer from Aberystwyth (I was even sent a handwritten postcard from the scheme coordinator encouraging me to take the entrance scholarship exams) and I have an interview at Harper Adams on the 9th. Still waiting for replies from Bristol and RVC.
I've got a Christmas job as an elf ^-^ and I also work occasionally at the riding school I go to.
meeeee im resitting too
There are a lot of Christmas jobs, you still have time to apply. It's most likely temporary but you'll have something to add to your cv 😊 good luck!

I work at Next by the way, they're hiring a lot of Christmas temps!
Original post by Ishax
There are a lot of Christmas jobs, you still have time to apply. It's most likely temporary but you'll have something to add to your cv 😊 good luck!

I work at Next by the way, they're hiring a lot of Christmas temps!

next are so mean at christmas got hired twice for 2 days
Original post by Roshany
next are so mean at christmas got hired twice for 2 days

Wow, really? I thought it was for 2 weeks for the sale.

If you don't mind me asking, what store was it?
Original post by Ishax
Wow, really? I thought it was for 2 weeks for the sale.

If you don't mind me asking, what store was it?

Solihull touchwood haha thats why i gave up applying there and got a job at john lewis
Original post by Roshany
Solihull touchwood haha thats why i gave up applying there and got a job at john lewis

Oh okay, I have a permanent contract with them (10.25 hours) but I usually do 14-16 hours.

At least you got a job in the end, that's the main thing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest