The Student Room Group

Royal Veterinary College: Camden Accommodation?

I'm applying to RVC for 2017 entry, but the accommodation page on the website is not very useful: does anyone live there and have some info/ advice on what the accommodation is like? Really like the sound of College Grove!
Reply 1
Original post by aimeeee_m
I'm applying to RVC for 2017 entry, but the accommodation page on the website is not very useful: does anyone live there and have some info/ advice on what the accommodation is like? Really like the sound of College Grove!

Hi there, I'm currently at the RVC studying Vet Med I'm in my 3rd year and I'm intercalating at the moment. In terms of different accommodation options there are several. You will be sent more information if you are given an offer and accept it. The first two years are at Camden Campus and the last 3 of the BVetMed course are at the Hawkshead Campus. Living in camden is more expensive than hawkshead. For the first year there are several halls you can apply to: college grove, mary brancker and also the arcade where you are with mixed UOL students. Since I lived there the prices will have increased so I can't give an accurate amount per week but college grove is the most affordable. In second year you can go back into halls (not many spaces for this), private accommodation in camden or you can apply for the halls in hawkshead and commute. I know several students who commuted in second year to save money and they found it was fine. Then for the three years in Hawkshead there is private accommodation or the New Student Village halls (where I currently am) that were only built a few years ago and are amazing :smile:. Sorry I'm a little biased :P. The New Student Village halls are about £118 per week I think?? including bills and everything. Private accommodation at hawkshead ranges around £100 per week and then bills on top. If you have any questions let me know and hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your help! I have another question about life in Camden; where do people usually go for things like a gym? Is there somewhere nearby or do most people go to private gyms, other UOL campuses, Hawkshead campus etc? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by aimeeee_m
Thank you so much for your help! I have another question about life in Camden; where do people usually go for things like a gym? Is there somewhere nearby or do most people go to private gyms, other UOL campuses, Hawkshead campus etc? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is an RVC gym at both camden campus and at Hawkshead campus with running machines, cycling machines, rowing machines etc. There are also some free classes which run in both gyms like zumba etc. There are several sports societies you can join at the RVC during freshers and if there isn't a society at the RVC you can join the UOL ones as well. In Camden there is also a large leisure centre quite near Mary B which I used for the swimming pool. It's called the Kentish Town Sports centre and you can get a pay as you go type card which meant I could swim for £2 each time. If you are more regular they do have memberships. At the RVC Hawkshead campus there is a large sports complex being built as we speak to use on top of the normal gym. I think its meant to be finished in the next year or so but not entirely sure. There is also the Furzefield Leisure centre in potters bar that the RVC free student shuttle bus stops at every hour (approximately), if you would prefer that :smile:. Hope that is helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by Vetstudent333
Hi there, I'm currently at the RVC studying Vet Med I'm in my 3rd year and I'm intercalating at the moment. In terms of different accommodation options there are several. You will be sent more information if you are given an offer and accept it. The first two years are at Camden Campus and the last 3 of the BVetMed course are at the Hawkshead Campus. Living in camden is more expensive than hawkshead. For the first year there are several halls you can apply to: college grove, mary brancker and also the arcade where you are with mixed UOL students. Since I lived there the prices will have increased so I can't give an accurate amount per week but college grove is the most affordable. In second year you can go back into halls (not many spaces for this), private accommodation in camden or you can apply for the halls in hawkshead and commute. I know several students who commuted in second year to save money and they found it was fine. Then for the three years in Hawkshead there is private accommodation or the New Student Village halls (where I currently am) that were only built a few years ago and are amazing :smile:. Sorry I'm a little biased :P. The New Student Village halls are about £118 per week I think?? including bills and everything. Private accommodation at hawkshead ranges around £100 per week and then bills on top. If you have any questions let me know and hope this is helpful :smile:

Hello I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I found this thread because I was wondering what about pets and housing? Are animals allowed in any housing for the school or do you need to look privately? I would like to bring my dog but can't seem to find any information about housing with pets.

Thank you
Original post by Aewitk01
Hello I was wondering if you might be able to help me. I found this thread because I was wondering what about pets and housing? Are animals allowed in any housing for the school or do you need to look privately? I would like to bring my dog but can't seem to find any information about housing with pets.

Thank you

None of the RVC halls, in Camden or in Hawkshead, allow pets. Historically people have gotten away with smaller (hideable :wink: ) animals like hamsters, gerbils and snakes, but a dog wouldn't be possible. It wouldn't be acceptable to keep a dog in a halls flat anyway, it's way too small.

You'll have to look into renting privately but even then landlords that will allow dogs are few and far between.
Anybody currently studying for the accelerated vet med at rvc here?
Reply 7
So can you take a hedgehog in a vivarium?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending