The Student Room Group

2017 Bristol medicine hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Can someone screenshot the still considering email? I had an email from them on Monday last week to say that they had begun assessing my application and were awaiting my UKCAT results but nothing else apart from that and the acknowledgement.
Reply 381
I had the exact same email and I've received no 'we are still considering' email since
The only email I've had from Bristol is the application acknowledgment :/. Knowing my luck I'll hear nothing until March!

Does anyone know if early rejections have gone out yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lostalltime
Same, the only email i have had is the application acknowledgement and have not heard anything else.
Can someone please screenshot their 'considering your application' email?

People on here are speculating that if you haven't had the 'we are considering' email, your application hasn't been seen/scored yet. Those who have had those emails reckon their applications have been scored but they are on 'hold' - i.e have been scored but haven't yet been given an interview, but have possibly done well enough to not get a straight rejection.

As I said this is just speculation and I don't think any of us can know for sure :s-smilie:

BUT no news is ALWAYS good news :biggrin: (that's what I'm trying to tell myself anyway)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
People on here are speculating that if you haven't had the 'we are considering' email, your application hasn't been seen/scored yet. Those who have had those emails reckon there applications have been scored but they are on 'hold' - i.e have been scored but haven't yet been given an interview, but have possibly done well enough to not get a straight rejection.

As I said this is just speculation and I don't think any of us can know for sure :s-smilie:

BUT no news is ALWAYS good news :biggrin: (that's what I'm trying to tell myself anyway)

do you think if i called up the uni and just started crying and yelling my UCAS id, would increase my chances? it would show my desperate need for an acceptance lmfao
Original post by ukhopeful94
do you think if i called up the uni and just started crying and yelling my UCAS id, would increase my chances? it would show my desperate need for an acceptance lmfao

Hahaha XD

If that would work I'd be straight on the phone to all four of my choices :P
Hahaha XD

If that would work I'd be straight on the phone to all four of my choices :P

lolll this wait is killing me, none of my choices have said anything other then the initial e-mail everyone gets -.-
Other Universities are a bit more straightforward - they issue interviews /rejections/ offers at the same kind if time. Bristol seem to send out emails at random times and it is hard based on your grades and UKCAT to predict whether or not you get an interview or not. I got 660 in my UKCAT but if I had got 15-20 more marks I would not have applied. I feel the Bristol application is nearly like hoping your name will be picked out of a hat. I applied last year with good grades PS (I thought) and saw people with considerably less grades and work experience than me get interviews. This year I have AAAA achieved A levels and have been for 3 months working 40 hours a week as a health care assistant bathing and dressing the elderly and disabled in the community. As these are mainly house calls I do at peoples home I am alone and I have learnt so much. Over the summer I trained to take blood etc and I am doing that also.
Also last year I wrote my own PS with no help. This year I got several doctors I know to add input, I also got medic portal to help me - showing them exactly what Bristol want. If I get rejected this time it will probably because it looks too good and professional that they wont think it has been written by an 18 year old! LOL
Original post by BadLashes
Other Universities are a bit more straightforward - they issue interviews /rejections/ offers at the same kind if time. Bristol seem to send out emails at random times and it is hard based on your grades and UKCAT to predict whether or not you get an interview or not. I got 660 in my UKCAT but if I had got 15-20 more marks I would not have applied. I feel the Bristol application is nearly like hoping your name will be picked out of a hat. I applied last year with good grades PS (I thought) and saw people with considerably less grades and work experience than me get interviews. This year I have AAAA achieved A levels and have been for 3 months working 40 hours a week as a health care assistant bathing and dressing the elderly and disabled in the community. As these are mainly house calls I do at peoples home I am alone and I have learnt so much. Over the summer I trained to take blood etc and I am doing that also.
Also last year I wrote my own PS with no help. This year I got several doctors I know to add input, I also got medic portal to help me - showing them exactly what Bristol want. If I get rejected this time it will probably because it looks too good and professional that they wont think it has been written by an 18 year old! LOL

They let you take blood in home care? I'm a HCA in the NHS so bit different to yours, and it's a struggle to get on that training as they have so few training dates -_- (but they're always crying out for HCAs to take blood). Yet I've sat the same basic training like BLS twice this year! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eehaj
You mentioned if your ukcat was a bit higher you would not apply

I have 680 band 1, which is exactly 20 more😂 why do you think that it wasn't a good idea to apply with that score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think she's saying if she had a UKCAT that she deemed fantastic, she wouldn't dream of applying to Bristol. Which I think is hilarious because some people would kill to Study @ Bristol - and not only the course, but the city/nightlife is amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by isabella1999
Thanks! I was literally stressing for nothing then. Havnt got any emails, does this mean they havnt read mine yet? I wanted all early interviews to get them over with, that's a shame :frown: at least it's not necessarily bad news!

If you feel like your application was good then you'll surely get an interview and offer. You certainly don't have to be perfect candidate. I know few people personally who are studying medicine from this year.

Original post by Jeff458(#21)
If that happened to me this year I would be sooo annoyed because my birthday is on the 26th November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got the still considering email like 2.5 weeks ago and the acknowledgement email ages before. What does this mean? That I am on hold?

You got the still considering email 2.5 weeks ago??!! And maybe.

Original post by jjcoolio
Surely now that they use the UKCAT they'll get fewer applicants?

Hopefully!!! But Bristol has always been a really competitive university for medicine and UKCAT is only 10%.

Original post by Lostalltime
Same, the only email i have had is the application acknowledgement and have not heard anything else. Can someone please screenshot their 'considering your application' email?

see attachment. That's from last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Eehaj
Oh dear... I'll have to ring UCAS to change it... Two of mine say "declared" one says "undeclared" and one has nothing at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

oi thats happened to me too i didnt declare crim convictions but on 2 of my choices it says i did... cray
Original post by Eehaj
Loool I would love to study at Bristol! I think it's my top choice... Hopefully I get an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here. I've visited the uni and the city and could definitely see myself there! Ofc I would be ecstatic if I got a place anywhere, but if I had a choice, it would be Bristol or Aberdeen :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eehaj
Loool I would love to study at Bristol! I think it's my top choice... Hopefully I get an interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's my first choice too! I applied to Cambridge, but we all know the likelihood of getting an offer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by Eehaj
Where did you apply? Yeah, I'd be ecstatic to get a place anywhere in the UK! I'm applying abroad as well, but ofc I would rather stay in the UK as 5/6 years is quite long and I'd miss my family 😂 I notice from earlier posts that you're a graduate, what is your degree in? (If you don't want to answer it's fine)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied to Glasgow and Warwick as well as Bristol and Aberdeen :smile:. My ukcat wasn't as high as hoped hence why I've only put one GEM option down! But tbh the traditional courses have grown on me (despite the finance!).

How about you?

I am indeed! I'm a journalism graduate and I worked in science journalism (medical/vet med) and research (which led me to want to pursue medicine). That feels like a lifetime ago as I'm now in the NHS as a HCA.

I was worried that being an arts grad would put me at a disadvantage as many graduates who apply are bio med, but someone at Aberdeen was a former journo and there are med students with English degrees!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eehaj
Ah that's so cool! I'm applying for Liverpool, Notts Bristol and st George's.

Honestly I don't see why being an arts grad would put you (or anyone in your position) at a disadvantage, surely it makes you more rounded as an individual and it ensures that medicine is what you really want to do as you can already go and do another job if you want? That's my opinion anyway, I really hope you get in as you seem really dedicated to becoming a doctor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thank you! :smile:

I guess the majority of grads I've come across who are pursuing medicine are hard science grads - and I used to think this was preferred by med schools (which I know now is not the case).

Good choices - Nottingham is a lovely uni and I know people who went there (not for med) who thoroughly recommend. Sure it's quite cheap to live there - which is always a bonus.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :smile:. Really hoping Bristol will put me out of my misery this week but reckon I'll be like the last PS they read!
I've applied to Glasgow and Warwick as well as Bristol and Aberdeen :smile:. My ukcat wasn't as high as hoped hence why I've only put one GEM option down! But tbh the traditional courses have grown on me (despite the finance!).

How about you?

I am indeed! I'm a journalism graduate and I worked in science journalism (medical/vet med) and research (which led me to want to pursue medicine). That feels like a lifetime ago as I'm now in the NHS as a HCA.

I was worried that being an arts grad would put me at a disadvantage as many graduates who apply are bio med, but someone at Aberdeen was a former journo and there are med students with English degrees!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know a teacher at my school that got into medicine with Classics!
Reply 397
Original post by kemiko21
I know a teacher at my school that got into medicine with Classics!

Hah I've a business degree and my career has nothing much to do with medicine/science either besides the fact that some of my clients have been in life sciences sector.

Sigh - we shall see...

Anyone heard anything today? It's been so silent.
It's nice to see other non-science grads are applying :biggrin:.

Work hasn't helped as when I tell people what I'm doing, they always assume I must've done biomed or chemistry at uni. I've had some odd looks when I've told them what my first degree was in!! :biggrin:

It's been very quiet today :/ but as we can already tell from this thread, interviews can come at any time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So am I not allowed to know what the different stations will be at the interview? I am completely baffled - my friend got an interview from Birmingham and he was told by Birmingham what the different stations will be! Surely I have to be allowed to know what the different stations are to prepare! If anyone does know the stations please message me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending