The Student Room Group

QUIT ART DEGREE NOW? I like health and psychology.

I'm into the first term of what is to be my final year of an arts degree. I've had doubts from the start, and have taken a break from it, however I am now 100% sure I do not want to enter a profession within the Arts sector.
Firstly, the type of subjective, unnecessary, and often shallow nature of arts jobs does not click with my intrinsic interests at all.
I am constantly drawn to jobs and research in the social sciences and health sector, and now wish I had pursued a degree in Psychology or Nutrition.
I don't even want an art qualification now, and am seriously thinking of quitting.
Please help, I'm feeling pretty low.
Original post by Em010101
I'm into the first term of what is to be my final year of an arts degree. I've had doubts from the start, and have taken a break from it, however I am now 100% sure I do not want to enter a profession within the Arts sector.
Firstly, the type of subjective, unnecessary, and often shallow nature of arts jobs does not click with my intrinsic interests at all.
I am constantly drawn to jobs and research in the social sciences and health sector, and now wish I had pursued a degree in Psychology or Nutrition.
I don't even want an art qualification now, and am seriously thinking of quitting.

Original post by Em010101

Perhaps, if you expect a good grade at the end, you can do an MSc in a psychology conversion course? E.g. KCL offers this.

Just don't do something on a whim though, ensure it's what you want to do by finding out exactly what doing a degree in another subject is about, otherwise you might get bored or find it too difficult.
Finish your degree. If you quit now you won't be able to pursue the sorts of jobs you want anyway as you won't be eligible for another 3 years funding for a new degree. However if you finish up you can do a masters to convert yourself to psychology/social science, art therapy is another option with an art degree. I would advise doing some work expereince in the psychology sector and reading a lot so you can be confident it's what you want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending