The Student Room Group

Ex- IB Student (If you ever need help, just ask)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suwuken
I got a predicted A in my EE and TOK, so I'll try to help.

For your EE, it's important to choose it in a subject you're interested in, preferably one of your HL's. Your choice of question should also be interesting for you, so do some research beforehand. As with anything IB, the syllabus is your best friend. Make sure you know the guidelines and what you're expected to do. Remember that your supervisor is there to help as well, but it's your responsibility to go see him / her. They shouldn't hunt you down. I don't know when your school does the EE, we started ours in Spring / started writing in the summer between IB1 and IB2. Use this time, because once IB2 starts, you'll have exams and other things to worry about.
I did my EE in maths. I did A LOT of reading before I started, including multiple and articles, uni lectures, and youtube videos... I basically wrote the first draft in 2 days, just sat down after breakfast and wrote until dinner, but I know not everybody can do that, so it's up to you.
Also, it is an essay, so things like good grammar / sentence structure / vocab are as always, helpful.

For TOK, the main thing is the questions. Make sure you have good, thoughtful, and not just yes/no questions related to the AOK's and WOK's. The presentation is your opportunity to really explore different viewpoints. Push your thoughts into any and every direction, and it will show that you really put a lot of effort, thought, and work into it. The essay as well, the questions are what you should build it on. Don't be afraid to ask your TOK teacher for help, they're there to guide you. Also don't forget the resources you were given, there are some good TOK guides out there.

Another tip: always go right up to the word / time limit. Make your presentation 10 min. Your EE 4000 words. It shows that you had a lot of ideas and really pushed yourself to make the most of it.

Thank you:smile:
Hi! So i used to be an IB student, i only did one semester 😟 and i really think it was very difficult. But after lefting IB, my life was hell🔥. I went to another city just to study one semester and at the time when i were back, i would go back to the school where i was before IB. But it didn't work, so i'm very close for doing my 5 semester and my school don't wants me back😭 and i regret i left IB.
Now you can cry with me 😭
hi, my problem has to do with sl math. i have two topics that i want to write on, but i am just stuck between them!! i dont know if i could model the growth of a bacterial colony through binary fission. orrrr.... model the spread of a disease, maybe ebole or HIV......

i know that both topics are in the same area. but i am willing to accept new ideas and advice.

pls help!
I haven't done IB math in a long time so I'm not sure what's the criteria, but I just wanted to say that imo modelling ebola/hiv with math is going to be extremely hard. Bacterial growth via binary fission is way more doable, although it's pretty straightforward on it's own. do you know how you're going to approach either?
Original post by hipsterrapunzel
I haven't done IB math in a long time so I'm not sure what's the criteria, but I just wanted to say that imo modelling ebola/hiv with math is going to be extremely hard. Bacterial growth via binary fission is way more doable, although it's pretty straightforward on it's own. do you know how you're going to approach either?

concerning the bacterial growth thingy, i was actually thinking of using binomials to model it. but also i thought of involving other things like probability since not all new bacteria make it to adulthood.

also. i have a question....in our exploration, do we have to explain a concept using 1 topic of math...or do we have to use as many topics as we can?
Original post by Eman5000
concerning the bacterial growth thingy, i was actually thinking of using binomials to model it. but also i thought of involving other things like probability since not all new bacteria make it to adulthood.

also. i have a question....in our exploration, do we have to explain a concept using 1 topic of math...or do we have to use as many topics as we can?

I think you should consult your teacher on whether your chosen topic is doable, as well as whether you're allowed to use multiple topics. Cheers.
Original post by hipsterrapunzel
I think you should consult your teacher on whether your chosen topic is doable, as well as whether you're allowed to use multiple topics. Cheers.

okeydoke! too much thanks anyway!:adore::adore::adore::adore::adore:
Hey guys, i have a question about my tok KQ, do you think the question "How influential is reason in the changes that occur within an indigenous knowledge system?" is a valid TOK question? I think it isnt but my teacher is the who changed and i dont really trust the teacher haha thx
your kq is valid by me, but i think you are limiting yourself by focusing on only one way of knowing...maybe if you used a few more ways of knowing, it could be better...
Original post by Eman5000
your kq is valid by me, but i think you are limiting yourself by focusing on only one way of knowing...maybe if you used a few more ways of knowing, it could be better...

Could i ask the possible claims that could be made from this KQ because i am really confused, because even if i put another aok the only claim i could make is that reason/faith is very influential or vice versa, thx a lot
Original post by ProoCrastinator
Could i ask the possible claims that could be made from this KQ because i am really confused, because even if i put another aok the only claim i could make is that reason/faith is very influential or vice versa, thx a lot

hey, i don't know if his might help. if you are doing a tok presentation you can look below

tok presentation structure
https://ibmastery.mykajabi.com/blog/how-to-structure-a-theory-of-knowledge-tok-presentation

tok knowledge questions
http://share.nanjing-school.com/tok/sample-page/what-is-knowledge/knowledge-questions/

hope it helps! :wink: :h:
hi..well first yayyy...you guys survived the IB struggle.
well, im kinda stuck trying to choose my subjects. i want to prusue criminal law and i know ill be taking history HL and english HL. what i cant decide between economics and chemistry..any advice to my choice of subjects would be helpful.
N.B: i plan to do uni in the UK
thanks!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by harshitha
hi..well first yayyy...you guys survived the IB struggle.
well, im kinda stuck trying to choose my subjects. i want to prusue criminal law and i know ill be taking history HL and english HL. what i cant decide between economics and chemistry..any advice to my choice of subjects would be helpful.
N.B: i plan to do uni in the UK
thanks!!!

what subjects have u already deciede on taking and on what level
i decided on taking:
History HL
english HL
Math SL
french
Biology(i dont know if its going to be HL or SL..i would be glad on advice for this too)

thats it and im stuck between economics and chemistry

i want these subjects to pursue a career in law(criminal law)

P.S: i have heard its compulsory to take physics for uni in UK..is that true?
because i plan on going for uni in the UK

thanks for help!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, @honeybadgerkid! I just couldn't pass your comment and the fact that you got a 7 in Economics HL! 😱 Im in IB 2 right now and my subjects are:
HL's:
- Economics
- Lang & Lit
- Psychology

SL's:
- French
- Nature of Science (environmental sciences in some countries)
- Math Studies.

So, as you can see, our subjects are pretty similar, but I would just love to know how you achieved all of those grades, because those are basically my goal grades by the end of IB.

Thank you so much for your time! xx
Hi, @honeybadgerkid! I just couldn't pass your comment and the fact that you got a 7 in Economics HL! 😱 Im in IB 2 right now and my subjects are:
HL's:
- Economics
- Lang & Lit
- Psychology

SL's:
- French
- Nature of Science (environmental sciences in some countries)
- Math Studies.

So, as you can see, our subjects are pretty similar, but I would just love to know how you achieved all of those grades, because those are basically my goal grades by the end of IB. Thank you so much for your time! xx

Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!

Original post by honeybadgerkid
Hi, also an ex-IB student here! :smile:

HLs:

English A: Literature - 6
History - 6
Economics - 7

SLs:

French B - 6
Biology - 6
Math Studies - 7

So if anyone wants to ask anything about any of those subjects then I'd be happy to answer!
Reply 156
Hey im taking IB english A as my higher level and i have to submit my written task
one.However, i cannot find any topics to write my written task on.Can you help me ?
Reply 157
Hey i have to write english WT 1 and i have no idea where to start from.Can someone give me any ideas?? I really want to do it on language and culture but i dont know what to write in it... can someone please help!!!
Original post by iJoyce
I am an ex IB student, if you want to know my choice were:
-SL Math
- SL Biology
- SL History
- HL English B
- HL ITGS
- HL Spanish
- CAS, TOK and EE.

I can be pretty helpful with these subjects and other more, hints, materials, etc...Seriously just ask me :smile:

Well basically, I'm just wondering what I'm doing here y'know? Like I'm nurturing the thoughts that "maybe it'll get better next year," and "I've got to do this if I'm going to succeed later in life," but is doing mediocre in IB better than doing superb in regular classes opportunity-wise? How has IB helped you afterward? Did IB make your current life easier?
im having trouble with my hl biology ia! im doing a databased IA and i have a few ideas but no idea what to do w them! i dont know how to use the databases! and it's too late to start a design lab also because nothing really interests me :-/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending