The Student Room Group

Can't afford Medical School

So basically I'm an overseas applicant and I did my A Levels in the UK in a boarding school which gave me a scholarship. Somehow got into a medical school and then at the end of August this year realised I couldn't afford it (some very unexpected circumstances in my family). Coming back to my country (Serbia) to study Medicine was NOT an option as the university is not at all accredited like anywhere in the world and I did not work this hard in my A Levels to embark on an inferior course. I'm on my gap year back home at the moment and I have applied to study Biochemistry in the UK (for which I have been offered a 60% scholarship at some RG universities which is acceptable), possibly as a stepping stone to Medicine one day (if my finances ever recover or I start earning some money etc.), even though I quite like Biochemistry (but any medic probably knows what it's like to be dead-set on doing Medicine). I honestly believe that was the best option, and yeah there's that bitter feeling due to the fact that it wasn't down to my grades or interviews but rather down to finances and I'm not sure how to feel at the moment. I'm planning my gap year constructively, and please don't say how I should've exhausted options in other countries because I have and it definitely wasn't an option (Italy or Bulgaria) or it was simply a bad course (in English language) and now when I've fallen in love with the UK I really want to stay there and I've 'integrated' so smoothly. But I want to be a doctor one day. Is this a healthy way of thinking?
This is a pretty unfair obstacle, but if medicine is truly your passion you will overcome it. Demonstrate a sustained interest in medicine whilst at university - volunteering, relevant work experience, etc. Focus on getting a good grade at university (high first ideally) then see if you can do graduate entry medicine. Not sure how funding works for that though.
can't you try and get a bursary or any kind of financial help from uni and/or government? try and definitely ask about the bursary and find out about any aid you're able to get, although i'm unsure how much is entitled to you because you're an overseas applicant/non british citizen.
Reply 3
Original post by DarkEnergy
This is a pretty unfair obstacle, but if medicine is truly your passion you will overcome it. Demonstrate a sustained interest in medicine whilst at university - volunteering, relevant work experience, etc. Focus on getting a good grade at university (high first ideally) then see if you can do graduate entry medicine. Not sure how funding works for that though.

I will do my best to do that. Should my financial situation fails to recover by then, I will probably try to do a PhD in clinical medicine or something like that and go on to do research, I feel like that would make me happy in the end. If something extraordinary happens meanwhile, I'll be thrilled, but for now I'm sort of looking at the worst-case scenario..I guess I'll just have to see what happens next :smile:

Original post by tinawu
can't you try and get a bursary or any kind of financial help from uni and/or government? try and definitely ask about the bursary and find out about any aid you're able to get, although i'm unsure how much is entitled to you because you're an overseas applicant/non british citizen.

Zero bursaries/funding available for non-EU applicants when it comes to a medical school..and the tuition fees are like 35,000 or so which is ridiculous. Ultimately, if I get a PhD after doing biochem and get a job get married etc. (become a british citizen perhaps?) it would make things a lot easier but at this point it's all so far away even though I was so close! but with the political and economic scene changing so rapidly I shouldn't be making such plans for the long-term, but thanks :smile:
Original post by milutin767

Zero bursaries/funding available for non-EU applicants when it comes to a medical school..and the tuition fees are like 35,000 or so which is ridiculous. Ultimately, if I get a PhD after doing biochem and get a job get married etc. (become a british citizen perhaps?) it would make things a lot easier but at this point it's all so far away even though I was so close! but with the political and economic scene changing so rapidly I shouldn't be making such plans for the long-term, but thanks :smile:

is serbia not part of the EU?
Reply 7
Original post by homeland.lsw
is serbia not part of the EU?

By the time Serbia enters the EU, Britain will have left :frown:
How about med school in serbia?
Reply 9
Original post by KyleH123
How about med school in serbia?

Well it's a decent university but the hospitals are awful, plenty of corruption and diploma is not really recognised anywhere in the world. And I worked so hard in my sixth form and I had some good results and going back to Serbia would be a big step back and ultimately I would probably not become a doctor I would like to be
I think you should apply to med school in america they give good scholarships but during your gap year do a lot of volunteering and work experience especially at these 'corrupt hospitals' they'll love it.American degrees are equally as credible as UK degrees if not better.
Same here, except that I can't even afford those inferior courses (because i have to pay anywhere I go since I'm a third country national). I'm an Iranian student living in Croatia because of my boyfriend and I'm currently studying molecular biology in Zagreb. Every day, I try to forget my passion for medicine but after a bit, the sadness and this feeling of being useless comes back to me and I can't control it. It feels like my whole life’s been a lie, I went to many international competitions and studied so hard, so I could finally study medicine and follow my true passion which is becoming a neurosurgeon. I've tried every way but the wages aren't that high here for me to able to afford the tuition, I can't do anything but to go crazy and cry and then act like I don't care for a while and it's a damn cruel cycle :frown:
Good luck to you
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending