The Student Room Group

UKMT Senior Maths Challenge ?

Is anyone doing this tomorrow? What do you thing is important to learn- is there any formulae that is often required or any tips ? :smile:
I'm doing it! And from what I've heard is it's going to be multiple choice questions, where standard knowledge is needed. As long as you know the basics you should be fine!
Doing it as well! It's basically GCSE maths with a bit of AS level so the content isn't hard however it requires ingenuity. You could be a brilliant GCSE/A Level mathematician but may barely be able to scrape a bronze in this.

My friend got a B in GCSE maths but made it to the BMOs but a few friends of mine who got A*s and are doing really well at AS maths didn't even manage a bronze!
Best thing to do is practise questions (mainly geometry)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by leopard923
Is anyone doing this tomorrow? What do you thing is important to learn- is there any formulae that is often required or any tips ? :smile:

Original post by Maariyah826
I'm doing it! And from what I've heard is it's going to be multiple choice questions, where standard knowledge is needed. As long as you know the basics you should be fine!

it's usually pretty unpredictable, so just go in with a calm head and make sure to read every question carefully and remember the paths to the answers might not be as simple as it may seem :wink:

(I did 9 maths challenges over my 7 years at secondary/sixth so I'm quite experienced if there's anything ya wanna ask :cute:)
Original post by Alexion
it's usually pretty unpredictable, so just go in with a calm head and make sure to read every question carefully and remember the paths to the answers might not be as simple as it may seem :wink:

(I did 9 maths challenges over my 7 years at secondary/sixth so I'm quite experienced if there's anything ya wanna ask :cute:)

So.... what are he questions like? Maybe 2+2? Or even better M times V?
Reply 5
So.... what are he questions like? Maybe 2+2? Or even better M times V?

I wish :wink: here's last year's...

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/pdfs/SMC2015.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by Alexion

Thanks for the advice! That is a lot of maths challenges lol. Do you think its worth looking at the questions past number 15? Is it worth guessing any?

Original post by DamnDaniel2
Doing it as well! It's basically GCSE maths with a bit of AS level so the content isn't hard however it requires ingenuity. You could be a brilliant GCSE/A Level mathematician but may barely be able to scrape a bronze in this.

My friend got a B in GCSE maths but made it to the BMOs but a few friends of mine who got A*s and are doing really well at AS maths didn't even manage a bronze!
Best thing to do is practise questions (mainly geometry)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im practising right now :tongue:. The questions about people telling the truth are so annoying ! And I agree, it's strange how people who have lower GCSE grades manage to do better! Thanks for replying. Good luck!

Thank you! I hope so lol.
Good luck !
Reply 7
Original post by leopard923
Thanks for the advice! That is a lot of maths challenges lol. Do you think its worth looking at the questions past number 15? Is it worth guessing any?

Yes, it's definitely worth looking at every question, there's time for it.

Don't guess though, unless you've got a better chance of getting it right - you lose marks for incorrect answers...
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion
Yes, it's definitely worth looking at every question, there's time for it.

Don't guess though, unless you've got a better chance of getting it right - you lose marks for incorrect answers...

Ok thank you !
Haha that looks alright but how would you do the first question in your head?! :redface: unless there's some weird trick to it (calculator). I'm not really fussed about this though, because its not part of my A-level :tongue: My maths teacher said she will kick us out of maths if we don't attend(hope she wasn't serious!) Good luck to you all who are doing it.
Reply 10
I'm doing it tomorrow after school! :biggrin:

Lol, I fluked the Intermediate Maths Challenge 2 years ago and got into olympiad. I don't think that will happen again :biggrin:
Haha that looks alright but how would you do the first question in your head?! :redface: unless there's some weird trick to it (calculator). I'm not really fussed about this though, because its not part of my A-level :tongue: My maths teacher said she will kick us out of maths if we don't attend(hope she wasn't serious!) Good luck to you all who are doing it.

Good luck too!
Original post by Baaah
I'm doing it tomorrow after school! :biggrin:

Lol, I fluked the Intermediate Maths Challenge 2 years ago and got into olympiad. I don't think that will happen again :biggrin:

Wow ! I wish some miracle will happen for me tomorrow lol. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest