The Student Room Group

Attending a 30-50 university?

Hey!

I'm interested in doing the course Economics and Finance. The universities I am interested in are ranked between 30-50 and I was wondering does this automatically affect my chances of employment afterwards?

I'm not so sure what I wanna do after university, but i'm slightly interested in the finance/banking sector, or something along those lines...

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
The banking sector does take into consideration the university you studied at especially if you want to go into investment banking. But you still have a chance of employment.
Reply 2
Original post by Rt6f
The banking sector does take into consideration the university you studied at especially if you want to go into investment banking. But you still have a chance of employment.

I've also wondered if someone was to come out with a 1st from Leicester or so, compared to a 2:2 from UCL who would have the upper hand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I've also wondered if someone was to come out with a 1st from Leicester or so, compared to a 2:2 from UCL who would have the upper hand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say Leicester might just edge it, but UCL might win out if they had killer work experience. The UCL applicant also probably has better A-level grades.

This is for investment banking btw.
Reply 4
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'd say Leicester might just edge it, but UCL might win out if they had killer work experience. The UCL applicant also probably has better A-level grades.

This is for investment banking btw.

I'm guessing since people are talking about it, it's a top end job in the banking sector?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
I'm guessing since people are talking about it, it's a top end job in the banking sector?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep it's the most competitive area of banking where you get loadsamoney. Normally to be in with a chance you'd have to have at least a 2.1 from 6 'target' universities: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, ICL, and Warwick. You also need to really start doing internships in your first and second years of university to be in with a chance.

So yeah it's super competitive. But also super long hours. Your job becomes your life and you'll spend multiple nights at the office in a row without going home.
Reply 6
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Yep it's the most competitive area of banking where you get loadsamoney. Normally to be in with a chance you'd have to have at least a 2.1 from 6 'target' universities: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, ICL, and Warwick. You also need to really start doing internships in your first and second years of university to be in with a chance.

So yeah it's super competitive. But also super long hours. Your job becomes your life and you'll spend multiple nights at the office in a row without going home.

ah right, doesn't really sound appealing to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Leicester graduate will have the upper hand, you need a 2.1 at least to go into IB(Front office). Therefore the UCL graduate would be filtered out in the first round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending