The Student Room Group

Brexit and Indian migrants

May has gone cap in hand to India to replace the business and investment Britian will lose after Brexit.

But India wants more Indians to be able to go to Britian to study and work and May is the person as Home Secretary who put more restrictions on Indian migration than anyone else.

So it looks like Brexit will reduce white, Christain migration only to be replaced by more non white, non Christian migrates.

http://www.firstpost.com/business/visa-woes-and-brexit-british-pm-theresa-may-must-be-a-trapeze-artist-during-india-visit-3090500.html

Scroll to see replies

Inb4 India > Poland
Don't really know what people were expecting, you voted to leave the EU- predominantly white continent- in favour of rest of the world, predominantly non white. If voted on racist motives should have done more homework tbh
Original post by Maker
May has gone cap in hand to India to replace the business and investment Britian will lose after Brexit.

But India wants more Indians to be able to go to Britian to study and work and May is the person as Home Secretary who put more restrictions on Indian migration than anyone else.

So it looks like Brexit will reduce white, Christain migration only to be replaced by more non white, non Christian migrates.

http://www.firstpost.com/business/visa-woes-and-brexit-british-pm-theresa-may-must-be-a-trapeze-artist-during-india-visit-3090500.html

I am really confused. Where does it say that Theresa May is going to give the Indian PM what he wants? Seems like a load of emotive speculation based on thin air to me.
Reply 4
Original post by ByEeek
I am really confused. Where does it say that Theresa May is going to give the Indian PM what he wants? Seems like a load of emotive speculation based on thin air to me.

The current government have boasted of replacing EU trade with trade from other countries including India after Brexit. India is unhappy about the restrictions and costs of UK visas for Indian tourists, students and workers especially because it was May who impose them in the first place so they want better access for Indians to Britain as part of any trade deal.

India is a big investor in the UK and vice versa and she will be under pressure from British businesses to get a good trade deal.
Original post by Maker

India is a big investor in the UK and vice versa and she will be under pressure from British businesses to get a good trade deal.

I understand all that. But I don't understand this assumption that we have kicked EU in the bucket in favour of increased immigration from India. No one has said anything of the sort. All we know is that the Indian PM is unhappy with the current status quo. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Reply 6
Original post by ByEeek
I understand all that. But I don't understand this assumption that we have kicked EU in the bucket in favour of increased immigration from India. No one has said anything of the sort. All we know is that the Indian PM is unhappy with the current status quo. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Maybe, Indians don't like being treated worse than other nationalities like the Chinese who can get cheaper visas than Indians.
It's not about skin colour it's about quality. I'd take a thousand Indians with good skills over 1 Romanian who washes cars.
Reply 8
Original post by TheBigMan2
Too many asians to many blacks, tell them no movement or piss off

A typical Brexit supporter.
Original post by thebigman2
too many asians to many blacks, tell them no movement or piss off

this is the reason tsr should not have taken away negative points
Original post by Uni12345678

:rofl:
Reply 11
Original post by Uni12345678

I enjoyed winding up dickheads.
The big question is - was it ever about race or was it about something more fundamental?

For example - if someone dislikes Polish because they think they 'take away all the jobs' (whether it is accurate or not), is it still about the race or is it about the jobs?

I think most people (remain or leave) are not racist, in the sense that they hate that person because he/she is of a certain race. When it comes to trade, I think it's safe to say that it was never about the race for most people, but on the fairness or how much one can gain or lose from it.

I think it can only be a good thing that we are considering expanding trades with India. We should also not forget that there are many other genuine reasons that people voted for Brexit, so it is not a give and take situation purely on trade.

To those who voted remain, let's not go down the 'racist' route and put the spotlight on it, when it probably was never about the race at the first place. Quite often, the people who talk about race the most, are racists themselves. Not saying that you are, but don't be 'that person'.
Reply 13
Indian migrants have been fantastic for the UK. They work damn hard and do not claim benefits. So what if they are not white, I voted leave so we could control the quality of migrants coming here to work.
Original post by Maker

Nope. the only migration she might allow will be highly skilled workers we need who have a job already lined up, but she knows how unpopular any immigration will be.
Original post by Forget that
Don't really know what people were expecting, you voted to leave the EU- predominantly white continent- in favour of rest of the world, predominantly non white. If voted on racist motives should have done more homework tbh

Exactly. Because I did not vote to Leave on racist motives. Pseudo-liberals only fall for Leave being racist.

In fact, the Remain camp in the long term is what's racist.

Many of the black people I know were for Leave because Remaining would keep enabling Europeans, who probably aren't even worth a damn in the long run.

I'm all for British citizens, black, white, brown, whatever.
Original post by AccountingBabe
It's not about skin colour it's about quality. I'd take a thousand Indians with good skills over 1 Romanian who washes cars.

So you are willing to prevent millions of English uni students from becoming doctors and nurses, or even worse - making it unnecessary for the British government to fund this important education for our own people, just for cheap labour from abroad?

No point having a great civilisation when you no longer exist to enjoy the fruit.
There shouldnt be any restrictions on Indian immigration AT ALL. Its all the commonwealth, its all stolen land; they speak better english than most northerners. They should have automatic access here after centuries of looting and idgaf if that means booting out all the slavs and meds in order to fulfil that objective.
Original post by BeyondAnjem
There shouldnt be any restrictions on Indian immigration AT ALL. Its all the commonwealth, its all stolen land; they speak better english than most northerners. They should have automatic access here after centuries of looting and idgaf if that means booting out all the slavs and meds in order to fulfil that objective.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_English-speaking_population Well the line about India and northerners is nonsense. Also I'm sceptical as to what benefits you think unrestricted immigration from third world countries will bring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending