The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA Physics ISA 2016 Friction

Has anyone done the AQA Physics ISA for 2016 to do with Friction? I am going to do the experiment and paper 1 and paper 2 in two weeks time... Does anyone know what will be on the paper? Also does anyone have any advice for when I do the papers and the experiment???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This guy goes through the paper(very helpful)
(paper 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F4Z7PhQSnc

(paper 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHoEIwnSOUE
Reply 2
HI. have you done paper 1 if so what is the question for question 4
Hi guys,

I got my ISAs starting very soon, can anyone help?
Reply 4
has anyone done paper 2?
Reply 5
Original post by emifelix
Has anyone done the AQA Physics ISA for 2016 to do with Friction? I am going to do the experiment and paper 1 and paper 2 in two weeks time... Does anyone know what will be on the paper? Also does anyone have any advice for when I do the papers and the experiment???

I've done my Friction ISA now and honestly it's mostly common sense in Paper 2. you should have done lots of preparation in class and have a planning sheet filled out - but if your school doesn't give you as much time as we were given (we got half a term to prepare and do it all) I wouldn't worry.
have u done it now cuz i am going to do it next week if u have can u plz help
Reply 7
Original post by geeorgie
I've done my Friction ISA now and honestly it's mostly common sense in Paper 2. you should have done lots of preparation in class and have a planning sheet filled out - but if your school doesn't give you as much time as we were given (we got half a term to prepare and do it all) I wouldn't worry.

Is there anything in particular you need to know? (Units/specific information). Also do you have any advice for particularly difficult questions or ideal answers? Do you have any other advice to get a high grade (A-A*)?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
hi, same
Reply 9
Original post by Flipdot
Is there anything in particular you need to know? (Units/specific information). Also do you have any advice for particularly difficult questions or ideal answers? Do you have any other advice to get a high grade (A-A*)?

well I'm not going to give out the questions or whatever, that would be cheating. but I would say that make sure you prepare and look over and over at past papers and mark schemes. for paper 1 especially the questions are all the same apart from question 4 so just revise lots of question 4 but make sure you know how to get the mark for the other questions too.
for paper 2, its mainly common sense in terms of friction. i'm sure you'll do great!

I get my mark back next week so I'll know how I've done then.
Reply 10
well I'm not going to give out the questions or whatever, that would be cheating. but I would say that make sure you prepare and look over and over at past papers and mark schemes. for paper 1 especially the questions are all the same apart from question 4 so just revise lots of question 4 but make sure you know how to get the mark for the other questions too.
for paper 2, its mainly common sense in terms of friction. i'm sure you'll do great!

could u say what we need to revise?
Reply 11
Original post by geeorgie

Could you say what we need to revise on or any main bits?
Has anyone got any good sources?
Reply 13
What the heck! We get one hour to write all the information we need on the data sheet then we do paper 1, the practical, and paper 2 in the next three lessons so all in all we get about 5 hours as we do a practice paper the lesson before. Count yourself lucky Georgie!
Reply 14
Original post by alextheowl
Has anyone got any good sources?

GCSEsciencemethods.com
http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/sites/default/files/files/FSMA%20Investigating%20friction%20student.pdf
http://www.explorationnation.com/physics-of-super-cars-educator-guide-free/11-free/sample-content/222-friction-experiment-free

I am in the process of doing mine (Got paper 2 tomorrow!!! AHHHH!) but I found these two sources to be of good use with some explanation from my teacher. I feel the method is more common sense but I used the newton meter method as it's far easier to explain than the pulley method.
Hope this helps :smile:
Can someone please tell me the hypothesis they used?
Original post by GeorgiaFin
Can someone please tell me the hypothesis they used?

Hi
The hypothesis would be the smoother and flatter the surface the less force required to overcome the friction
thats what we have to do as well i have it tomorrow :\
Can I just say sometimes ISA's are not as simple as they look. Make sure you get your variables correct and do NOT miss anything out from you're data sheet. I've had to reset my ISA's twice the first time I got an E the second time a C and then finally I got an A but trust me it takes a lot of hard work and to be honest it wastes a lot of time that you can spend learning. Good Luck to all of you I hope you do well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending