The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Official

Scroll to see replies

Original post by We5ty
Thank you this is incredibly helpful. I am interested in studying psychology at university. However I have heard this is quite a competitive course. I wil be studying biology, geography and economics for a level, and I hope to get good grades. However, as we now no longer have AS levels, I was wondering how much value your predicted grades carry in terms of reviving offers?

Hi,

I spoke to the Admissions Officer for Psychology. She said that as you are studying at least one science subject as A Level (Biology) then if you had GCSE Maths and at least one GCSE science subject at grade B or higher, then you are likely to be made an offer.

If you didn't have those GCSE grades then you might be asked to resit them as part of the conditions of your offer.

Hope that helps :smile:

Persephone
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/
Original post by Boss987
Hello,
For Medicine Newcastle says A level exams have to be taken within 2 years. Does this mean I can resit modules as that will still be in 2-year time frame.
Thanks,
Boss987

Hi,

You can find the MBBS Admissions Policy on this page: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/

Here's the bit relating to resits.

Resit qualifications - Note: Applicants must have achieved the necessary A level grades at the first attempt. In extremecircumstances, we may consider extenuating circumstances. Please read theExtenuating Circumstances Section 19) for further information.

All the best,

Persephone
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 222
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi,

I spoke to the Admissions Officer for Psychology. She said that as you are studying at least one science subject as A Level (Biology) then if you had GCSE Maths and at least one GCSE science subject at grade B or higher, then you are likely to be made an offer.

If you didn't have those GCSE grades then you might be asked to resit them as part of the conditions of your offer.

Persephone

Thank you very much. This information is very helpful. Do you know how many people apply or what the acceptance rate is for psychology?
Original post by We5ty
Thank you very much. This information is very helpful. Do you know how many people apply or what the acceptance rate is for psychology?

Hi,

There are about 150 places for Psychology, and we get approximately 1200 applications each year :smile:

Hope that helps!
Persephone
Hi,

There are about 150 places for Psychology, and we get approximately 1200 applications each year :smile:

Hope that helps!
Persephone

Do you know how many people applied/got offers/got places for accounting and finance?
Original post by mathsaddict1234
Do you know how many people applied/got offers/got places for accounting and finance?

Hi,

For the BA Accounting and Finance degrees (N400 and N401) we have about 180 places and get approximately 1200 applications each year. About 800 offers were made (the reason this number is so much bigger than the number of places is that not every applicant will put Newcastle as their firm/insurance, and some will accept the offer but not meet the conditions).

Hope that helps!

Persephone
Hi,

For the BA Accounting and Finance degrees (N400 and N401) we have about 180 places and get approximately 1200 applications each year. About 800 offers were made (the reason this number is so much bigger than the number of places is that not every applicant will put Newcastle as their firm/insurance, and some will accept the offer but not meet the conditions).

Hope that helps!

Persephone

If you firm Newcastle are you more likely to get the place than people who have Newcastle as their insurance?
If you firm Newcastle are you more likely to get the place than people who have Newcastle as their insurance?

Hi,

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer then you'll be classed as a 'near miss' and your application will be looked at again. At that stage the Admissions Officer would give priority to people who put Newcastle as their firm.

Persephone
Hi,

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer then you'll be classed as a 'near miss' and your application will be looked at again. At that stage the Admissions Officer would give priority to people who put Newcastle as their firm.

Persephone

I have heard some unis have entry requirements of say AAB, but do give offers of BBB out, is that the case with Newcastle too?
I have heard some unis have entry requirements of say AAB, but do give offers of BBB out, is that the case with Newcastle too?

Hi,

We offer a scheme called PARTNERS which if you're eligible for will give you a lower conditional offer to study at Newcastle University.

If you have any more questions please ask! :smile:

Isabella
Hi,

We offer a scheme called PARTNERS which if you're eligible for will give you a lower conditional offer to study at Newcastle University.

If you have any more questions please ask! :smile:

Isabella

Oh no I meant just a standard offer without partners, would it ever be brought down by a grade or two? For example AAB down to ABB or will it always be fixed at AAB for everyone?
Oh no I meant just a standard offer without partners, would it ever be brought down by a grade or two? For example AAB down to ABB or will it always be fixed at AAB for everyone?

All the entry requirements are listed on the website and are not subject to change. Should you receive an offer from us and come results day not get what you were expecting then you may be considered as a near miss student. If you have exceptional circumstances you could discuss this with the admissions staff of the course you are interested in studying.

If you have any more questions please ask!

Isabella :smile:
Hi! I was just wondering: how many applicants and how many places are there for Law?
Original post by its_rona
Hi! I was just wondering: how many applicants and how many places are there for Law?

Hi,

It varies from year to year - last year we received over 1500 applications and
there are usually around 240 places to fill.

If you have any more questions please ask.

Hi!

I looked into bursary's the university offers and noticed the Opportunity Scholarship? I looked into the criteria also and I seem to be eligible.

It says on the website that you don't need to apply so when do candidates, who will receive this bursary, find out?
Original post by DaniBerni
Hi!

I looked into bursary's the university offers and noticed the Opportunity Scholarship? I looked into the criteria also and I seem to be eligible.

It says on the website that you don't need to apply so when do candidates, who will receive this bursary, find out?

Hi,

If you apply for income-accessed student finance then you'll automatically be checked for eligibility to the Opportunity Scholarship. You'll then get a letter via the Student Loans Company - more info here http://www.ncl.ac.uk/students/wellbeing/finance/funding/ukstudents/bursaries/2016-17/2013or2014or2015or2016/opportunity2014or2015or2016.htm

Persephone
Hi,
I was just wondering if your university are lenient with GCSE grades? I want to study international business management at Newcastle however I've noticed that a grade B in Maths and English is required. I have a B in English and 9 of my other subjects however I only achieved a grade C in Maths, I also achieved ABCD at AS and was just wondering if good a level results are taken into account?
Original post by anonymousj1998
Hi,
I was just wondering if your university are lenient with GCSE grades? I want to study international business management at Newcastle however I've noticed that a grade B in Maths and English is required. I have a B in English and 9 of my other subjects however I only achieved a grade C in Maths, I also achieved ABCD at AS and was just wondering if good a level results are taken into account?

The entry requirements say you need a B in GCSE Maths if you don’t have Maths at AS or A Level. None of your other GCSE grades will affect your application. All parts of your application will be looked at, including your reference and your personal statement, so if you can prove that you have the required numeracy skills another way it would be worth adding that.

I hope this helps, if you have any other questions please ask!
Hi, Im looking to study urban planning at newcastle next year and have heard there is a new urban sciences building being made for the start of the 2017 year. Was just wondering if the Urban planning department will move here or being staying at claremont tower?
Original post by Gasher99
Hi, Im looking to study urban planning at newcastle next year and have heard there is a new urban sciences building being made for the start of the 2017 year. Was just wondering if the Urban planning department will move here or being staying at claremont tower?

Hi,

The new Science Central complex will house the School of Computing Science and be the base for several research groups. The Urban Sciences Building will be mainly for postgrad research. The Urban Planning BA is part of the School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape and I'm not aware of any plans to relocate from the main campus :smile:

Hope that helps!

Persephone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending