The Student Room Group

Who's going to be President: Trump or Clinton?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Uni12345678
lots of ppl said to trump that the wall would cost America a lot of money and his response was to make Mexico pay for it. If the reason for the wall is just to keep illegal immigrants out because they are causing problems in America illegally, what's the reason to punish an entire country by making them pay for something they don't want? That's like me getting you to delete your tsr account because you are annoying me

Because the illegal immigrants are Mexican citizens and therefor Mexico's responsibility.
Original post by edanski
Don't kid yourself this election won't only affect the citizens of America, if you fancy Trump winning look forward to a global power abscess as Trump's America abdicates its global responsibilities, an even more isolated Britain than we currently are (I'm guessing you're a Brit too:P), heightened barriers on free trade, a further emboldened nativist right in all Western Countries which is looking to tear down all the progress of the last 50 years, a cockier more active Russia and a propaganda coup for Islamic Terror the world over. Trump would be disastrous.

If you know anything about american politics you'll know that the president doesn't have much power, especially in comparison to the UK's equatable Prime Minister. The thing you don't get is the most trump can do is cause a bit mischief in the white house and create a bad representation of america. Everything about Free trade and nativism is dealt with people of higher political knowledge.Trumps campaign is ultimately based on promises he doesn't plan to keep.
Reply 62
Trump needs to win all swing states for him to win which is very unlikely
I'm sorry but do you even understand why Putin likes trump??

Sorry, but have you heard what Clinton has said about the notion of having better relations with Russia?

Original post by epage
yeah but MI looks pretty certain to go to Clinton (+4.7 average), NC to Trump (+1.4 average), and PA to Clinton (+2.4 average). Perhaps not NC so much but Florida is viewed by many media outlets and polling websites as being THE swing state. If Clinton wins Florida, she's won basically, as long as she gets all the states that have voted democrat since 2000. Trump needs most of the swing states plus florida to win

PA is a prime example of a state that is very well within the margin of error and where demographics could easily favour Trump, remember that to trust the polls are correct relies on trusting their weightings, something that is notoriously political in the US, they don't tend to apply weighting too much and a lot of polls overstate one party or the other.
Original post by trigglypuff
Because the illegal immigrants are Mexican citizens and therefor Mexico's responsibility.

That's like saying if one person in your class is disruptive and doesn't do their work the whole class should get a detention
That's like saying if one person in your class is disruptive and doesn't do their work the whole class should get a detention

No it's not. Students don't have any responsibility for other students whereas a state is legally responsible by law for its citizens.

Try again.
Original post by epage
It all rides on florida basically. Whoever wins florida, will likely win. I think trump might have the edge but I'm not that sure. I'd vote for hillary if I could

I'm going to disagree. I think the key battle lies in Pennsylvania. A loss there would all but crush Clinton's chances.
@jamestg I don't understand why you, as a brexiteering tory like myself, have such a strong dislike for Trump. He is anti-globalist and anti- interventionalist, and his supposed bigotry is exaggerated to the extreme by the media.
No it's not. Students don't have any responsibility for other students whereas a state is legally responsible by law for its citizens.

Try again.

Yeah but if you had to start paying double the taxes you currently pay just because your neighbours decided to become illegal immigrants to a different country you're gonna feel exactly like one of those students. Remember the government doesn't represent the whole country.
Original post by Jammy Duel

PA is a prime example of a state that is very well within the margin of error and where demographics could easily favour Trump, remember that to trust the polls are correct relies on trusting their weightings, something that is notoriously political in the US, they don't tend to apply weighting too much and a lot of polls overstate one party or the other.

I don't trust the polls too much. If I did, I'd think Clinton was going to win. There's bound to be shy Trump voters, the same as there was shy tory voters in 2015 and shy leave voters. Most of the polling companies appear to be predicting the same thing, so it could be that they have actually got different results from what they are predicting publicly, but don't want to break reputation by being too out of line with what other polling companies are saying.
Make America Great Again

! 3e8c54b1767ef7f01e42b48e7f18ba5c.jpg
Reply 71
Original post by AsiyaAden9879
If you know anything about american politics you'll know that the president doesn't have much power, especially in comparison to the UK's equatable Prime Minister. The thing you don't get is the most trump can do is cause a bit mischief in the white house and create a bad representation of america. Everything about Free trade and nativism is dealt with people of higher political knowledge.Trumps campaign is ultimately based on promises he doesn't plan to keep.

The President can be hamstrung if they don't have a minority in either Houses, but currently the Republicans have a majority in both houses so that won't be a problem for a possible President Trump (hopefully the Democrats will have successes up and down the ticket instead). Putting aside how the legislative will be on Trump's side, foreign policy is still the domain of the executive and under Trump it'd change tack, destabilising the globe, dramatically. So free trade would take a battering as Trump, with probable congressional support, would be able to axe NAFTA, TPP etc and put up tariffs and the like on whatever he wants. Nativism and the far right would be strengthened by a Trump win as just for the fact a far-right President had won would embolden them the same way Trump holds up a candle to Brexit. Trump winning would give heart to Le Pen and AFD in France and Germany right before their own elections so even if he was politically inactive the repercussions of his presidency would be far reaching. In future try not to come across as patronising you could've phrased that in a much less condescending manner. I agree with your last point but even if he tried to realise even a small portion of what he says he will it'll be bad, bigly. :wink:
Reply 72
Because the alternate is a criminal and psychopathic warmonger.

like trump hasn't allegedly committed 12 rapes, as well as inspiring racism misogyny and xenophobia. and to top it all off, he has a **** lid.
Original post by agahaga
like trump hasn't allegedly committed 12 rapes, as well as inspiring racism misogyny and xenophobia. and to top it all off, he has a **** lid.

"Allegedly".
Original post by richpanda
@jamestg I don't understand why you, as a brexiteering tory like myself, have such a strong dislike for Trump. He is anti-globalist and anti- interventionalist, and his supposed bigotry is exaggerated to the extreme by the media.

He is extremely incoherent, unpredictable and irrational. He also hasn't said whether he'll respect the result of the election, which damages centuries of peaceful transitions to office.
Reply 75
"Allegedly".

so whats your response to racism?
Original post by agahaga
so whats your response to racism?

Tell me where he has been racist.
Original post by epage
I don't trust the polls too much. If I did, I'd think Clinton was going to win. There's bound to be shy Trump voters, the same as there was shy tory voters in 2015 and shy leave voters. Most of the polling companies appear to be predicting the same thing, so it could be that they have actually got different results from what they are predicting publicly, but don't want to break reputation by being too out of line with what other polling companies are saying.

Polls tend to bunch at the end, better you're wrong along with everybody else rather than being the only wrong one, but that doesn't mean they bunch in the correct place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hopefully Clinton - but only on the unfortunate basis that they can't both lose.
Likely Clinton but, although I like neither, I'm hoping otherwise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending