The Student Room Group

Motivating myself to get A*AA (or more)

My Journey to A*AA (or above) in Humanities and an English degree

The idea of doing this kind of terrifies me but I hope it'll give me the motivation to actually work towards getting the grades I want.

A little bit about me: My name's Charlie, I'm currently in Year 13 studying A Level English Literature, History and Psychology. A few of my favourite authors are Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen, and I talk a lot about female characters in literature. I'm hoping to study English at university, but I'll go into that later

GCSE Results

Spoiler

AS Levels:

Spoiler

A Level predictions:

Spoiler

Topics I'm studying:

Spoiler

What I'm hoping for:

Spoiler

University aspirations:

Spoiler

University Application so far

Queens' College, Cambridge - A*AA interview on 6th December
Birmingham - AAB - unconditional if I firm
Nottingham - AAA - unconditional if I firm
Royal Holloway - AAB - unconditional if I firm
Southampton - ABB - contextual offer due to school performance

Targets for November:

Spoiler

Results so far:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by charlie_rhia_x

My Journey to A*AA (or above) in Humanities and an English degree

The idea of doing this kind of terrifies me but I hope it'll give me the motivation to actually work towards getting the grades I want.

A little bit about me: My name's Charlie, I'm currently in Year 13 studying A Level English Literature, History and Psychology. A few of my favourite authors are Shakespeare, Virginia Woolf and Jane Austen, and I talk a lot about female characters in literature. I'm hoping to study English at university, but I'll go into that later

GCSE Results

Spoiler

AS Levels:

Spoiler

A Level predictions:

Spoiler

Topics I'm studying:

Spoiler

What I'm hoping for:

Spoiler

University aspirations:

Spoiler

University Application so far

Queens' College, Cambridge - A*AA - applied, sat admissions test (ELAT)
Birmingham - AAB - unconditional if I firm
Nottingham - AAA - unconditional if I firm
Royal Holloway - AAB - unconditional if I firm
Southampton - ABB - contextual offer due to school performance

Targets for November:

Spoiler

Results so far:

Spoiler

What are your tips for psychology I want to get an A* aswell!
And how you said get your psychology A2 topics do you mean all your notes done for the whole of A2 psychology?
How have your structured your As and A2 revision ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by goal101
What are your tips for psychology I want to get an A* aswell!
And how you said get your psychology A2 topics do you mean all your notes done for the whole of A2 psychology?
How have your structured your As and A2 revision ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By notes I basically copy out the textbook in different colours to make sure I know everything completely. I then make flash cards for each topic and evaluation, then put it all into a mind map! I've also been writing 16 mark essays for each topic

At this point in the year I'm mostly just making sure I understand the content of everything
Reply 3
By notes I basically copy out the textbook in different colours to make sure I know everything completely. I then make flash cards for each topic and evaluation, then put it all into a mind map! I've also been writing 16 mark essays for each topic

At this point in the year I'm mostly just making sure I understand the content of everything

That's awesome how much revision do you do a day like hours?
And what topic are you on now we've nearly finished stress then moving onto aggression

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
That's awesome how much revision do you do a day like hours?
And what topic are you on now we've nearly finished stress then moving onto aggression

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends on the day, on a school day I'll usually do about 2 hours in my frees then 2 or 3 hours at home

On weekends I try and do about 6 hours! You?

We've got one more topic in aggression then we're moving onto schizophrenia
IMG_0309.jpg

Started Year 1 History revision today! I've done Weimar politics so far, hopefully can do a bit more tonight
This weekend I've written nine 16 mark essays for psychology - one for every topic in aggression, apart from the last one which we haven't yet covered.

I'm hoping to score quite well in them, though I imagine my teacher won't be too eager to mark nine essays 😂
Reply 7
This weekend I've written nine 16 mark essays for psychology - one for every topic in aggression, apart from the last one which we haven't yet covered.

I'm hoping to score quite well in them, though I imagine my teacher won't be too eager to mark nine essays 😂

Dayummmm!!! 9 essays how long does it take to do 1 essay? And awesome you've started on AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
Dayummmm!!! 9 essays how long does it take to do 1 essay? And awesome you've started on AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

About half an hour which is too long but I figure it's best to get the content done first! and thank you, i'm feeling quite happy with how productive i've been
Reply 9
About half an hour which is too long but I figure it's best to get the content done first! and thank you, i'm feeling quite happy with how productive i've been

Keep it up! I have biology work todo - leggo😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
Keep it up! I have biology work todo - leggo😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck! What else do you do apart from psychology and biology?
Good luck! What else do you do apart from psychology and biology?

Thankyou! & I do sociology aswell basically all the heavy content subjects :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goal101
I do sociology aswell basically all the heavy content subjects :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch that doesn't sound fun! Are you applying for uni?
07/11/2016

I haven't done much work today because I've been really tired, kind of annoyed about that but hopefully tomorrow will go better!

Unless watching University Challenge counts as work ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Ouch that doesn't sound fun! Are you applying for uni?

Yeah I know! And yep I'm applying for Birmingham / Aston / Manchester a science course
Original post by goal101
Yeah I know! And yep I'm applying for Birmingham / Aston / Manchester a science course

I applied to Birmingham too!! I might see you there, good luck with your application!!
I got my marks back from a psychology test we did on part of aggression today and I got 24/25 - my teacher laughed about the fact that the only thing I got wrong was the multiple choice

Feeling pretty good about that!! I was worried about the test as it was the day after my ELAT and I hadn't had much time to revise
I got my marks back from a psychology test we did on part of aggression today and I got 24/25 - my teacher laughed about the fact that the only thing I got wrong was the multiple choice

Feeling pretty good about that!! I was worried about the test as it was the day after my ELAT and I hadn't had much time to revise

That's so awesome! I have my test on the whole of stress next week! I hope it goes all well!
How did you revise for this? did you just to 16 markers which helped you?
congrats too!
I applied to Birmingham too!! I might see you there, good luck with your application!!

oooo omg! & thank you! yours too
Original post by goal101
That's so awesome! I have my test on the whole of stress next week! I hope it goes all well!
How did you revise for this? did you just to 16 markers which helped you?
congrats too!

Thank you so much!! I mainly used mind maps for that test!! Good luck with yours, I have one on all of aggression too 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending