The Student Room Group

Any mature students on here who have gone back to study A-levels??

Scroll to see replies

Lol me too!

Had a go at alevels many moons ago couldnt see them through
(edited 7 years ago)
I got BBD at A level back in 2005. Looking to finally give University a real go (first year drop out) but some unis are saying they're no good now and an access course is the way forward. Anyone else had this? I was thinking of taking 1 A level and (by some miracle) get an A to give me ABBD which looks a lot better.
Original post by Chezdon
I got BBD at A level back in 2005. Looking to finally give University a real go (first year drop out) but some unis are saying they're no good now and an access course is the way forward. Anyone else had this? I was thinking of taking 1 A level and (by some miracle) get an A to give me ABBD which looks a lot better.

Most universities want their mature students to have achieved their A-levels 'in one go' per say, but up to within 3 years (as opposed to the 2 years expected from school leavers).

I suggest an Access because not only will it evidence recent study, but they are designed to prepare adults who have been out of education for many years to access and succeed at university
Yeah I get that, but I could’ve worked full time and done the A level at night or something but nevermind. Access Course is gonna take up a lot of time and I’m gonna need distinctions to get in to the unis I want. I’m also reading around here that A Levels are far more favourable. I could get a distinction and not even get in. That would be a tragic waste of time. Anyway, no use complaining. I’m already getting started on the GCSE textbooks!
Reply 204
How many GCSE textbooks are you working through right now, Chezdon? I'm picking up the Chemistry one tomorrow.

I've never really studied before, so I don't know if it would be best to focus entirely on one subject at a time or dedicate blocks of time to multiple. I suppose it depends on the learner?

Do any of you have any idea how long it might typically take an average person to get to the level of sitting a GCSE exam?
Hey Rustin, I actually sent an email to CGP themselves in the end and they recommended a revision and practise guide. I went for a combined science book to save me buying all three. I guess I won’t get the depth but to be honest I’ve been out of education for 10 years and I won’t be on the access course for at least another 10 months so I’m happy to start slow for now. I bought GCSE Core Science revision and practise guide higher level. 5 quid on Ebay!

Ah also I had thought about that too - I think I'll just being doing a chapter or so on each subject. Keep things interesting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chezdon
Yeah I get that, but I could’ve worked full time and done the A level at night or something but nevermind. Access Course is gonna take up a lot of time and I’m gonna need distinctions to get in to the unis I want. I’m also reading around here that A Levels are far more favourable. I could get a distinction and not even get in. That would be a tragic waste of time. Anyway, no use complaining. I’m already getting started on the GCSE textbooks!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be a downer. I was only speaking from experience. I have A Levels in English and History (A, B) from 2012. I want to study Medicine, I asked all the med schools that, given my age and healthcare experience, can I do Chem & Bio A Levels in the evenings and apply with that profile and they said my previous A-Levels are "too old" and that they want 3 achieved over two years. Then a few of them recommended the Access course to me. I know Medicine is the great bastion of competition, and not all degrees will consider your A-Levels too old. Maybe you would be best calling the course providers you really favour, and ask them specifically how you can get a place on those courses rather than going on blind.
Just a bit more on the Access and the need for distinctions. I did an Access to Medicine, it was 12 contact hours a week, and I worked FT as a home visit carer. In the end I struggled, and I had no social life. It was absolutely a year of sacrifice. Care work gave me enough flexibility and hours, but it really is hard to feel rested after a shift. I got 13/15 distinctions and 2/15 merits. I had a 15/15 distinction offer from medical school, I missed it, despite writing them a letter evidencing my work responsibilities. Now I'm doing A-Level Chem in the evening and reapplying. I have a better paid job now so I can work a little less (30hrs instead of 40) and because the A Level reforms mean the courses are now "linear", you can skip straight to the second year if the A-Level and sit the final exams within 1 year. Having this profile has limited my prospective med school choices to 3 (you only get 4 anyway), but opened up many excellent BSc options so that I can do graduate entry Medicine in the future if I don't succeed this year. For example, UCL run an Applied Medical Sciences BSc that asks for only 6 distinctions and the rest merits. UCL! One of the top 5 unis in the country.
The Access was very demanding, but universities are starting to recognise its merit and take their duty to widen access more seriously. I also found my course very interesting. I studied Chem, Bio, Physics and Maths and everything was related to use in Medicine/a medical degree. In A Level Biology for example, you learn a lot about plants. How is learning about a plant going to help me understand how blood clots? :-P finally, I had much more support regarding UCAS than I think I would have had as an a-Level student.

One final thing. Have you considered a Foundation degree? SFE fund 4 years of tuition fees and seemingly endless maintenance loans. Many RG universities offer Foundation degrees, they are basically one year of 'easing you in' and then the full-on, 3 year degree that any other student does. Universities of Liverpool and Sheffield offer these kind of courses for sure, just to name two examples. These might be a better solution for you.
Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. Does a foundation degree take away the need for an Access course? There’s no way I’d be doing full time work along time studying. I’m bad enough as it is in terms of procrastinating and wasting time. I’d need some down time. So why are you doing the A Level? Why didn’t you apply for those unis the first time around?
Hey!! Mature student! 24 doing an access course in sociology! :smile:
Original post by Chezdon
Thanks for the detailed reply, I appreciate it. Does a foundation degree take away the need for an Access course? There’s no way I’d be doing full time work along time studying. I’m bad enough as it is in terms of procrastinating and wasting time. I’d need some down time. So why are you doing the A Level? Why didn’t you apply for those unis the first time around?

In some cases, yeah. You would be best asking the universities themselves :-) they may still need for you to evidence recent study, which you could do with that one A-Level you were planning.

With the Access, you can't resit any of it. Those two merits I got were in chemistry, so doing a Chem A-Level is my way of 'resitting'. And there are only a handful of medical schools that accept resit profiles.
Art and psychology possibly or a foundation degree as a supplement to degree next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trying to keep this thread going...
Anyone here self-teaching any A-levels?
Original post by Philip-flop
Trying to keep this thread going...
Anyone here self-teaching any A-levels?

I'm tempted, but does it count towards anything - how do we go about getting exams and actual qualifications for what we self teach ourselves? I looked at a uni y'day and instantly felt old, and think the costs put me off too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quiet _One86
I'm tempted, but does it count towards anything - how do we go about getting exams and actual qualifications for what we self teach ourselves? I looked at a uni y'day and instantly felt old, and think the costs put me off too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You would need to find a local exam centre that accept external applicants. Sometimes this can be a college or school, other it is a place that just does exams and tutoring like A3 tutoring in Bristol.

I think different universities have higher percentages of mature students than others. That a lot of mature societies so you can meet others clos t to your age, or arbitrary least some who are in a similar situation finding wise.
I would also look at all funding options available for university, depending on your situation there are lots of individual grants from organisations that can be applied for.
Original post by Cowie315
You would need to find a local exam centre that accept external applicants. Sometimes this can be a college or school, other it is a place that just does exams and tutoring like A3 tutoring in Bristol.

I think different universities have higher percentages of mature students than others. That a lot of mature societies so you can meet others clos t to your age, or arbitrary least some who are in a similar situation finding wise.
I would also look at all funding options available for university, depending on your situation there are lots of individual grants from organisations that can be applied for.

Thank you so much for that input. Helpful, and also encouraging! I will look into all.
Thank you so much for that input. Helpful, and also encouraging! I will look into all.

You normally have to pay, also look into private schools with sixth forms and private colleges too! Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean, does it count towards anything?
Original post by Philip-flop
What do you mean, does it count towards anything?

Aside from the obvious, but I thought as mature students, I didn't think any qualifications like Alevels isn't counted as a mature student but experience. But if you're gaining qualifications more recently then I guess it'd count.
Aside from the obvious, but I thought as mature students, I didn't think any qualifications like Alevels isn't counted as a mature student but experience. But if you're gaining qualifications more recently then I guess it'd count.

Oh they've definitely count, as long as you sit the formal examination, your alevel is classed the same as anyone else applying to university. It shows a particular level of comprehension of a subject no matter what your age.
I've done alevels as a mature student. Without which I wouldn't have gained a place at vet school.
I studied at a college, but if I had self taught I would have needed to sit the exams or I could have just taught myself anything :h: it's your only proof.

If you are genuinely considering self study, I would highly recommend budgeting for even two or three hours a month with a subject specific tutor, who has experience of your chosen exam board. This person can really help you refine your exam technique, which is just as important as learning the topics. Can make the difference between a C and a A/B grade! Also gives you someone to ask your questions and refine anything that needs specific wording... for example wjec exam board biology exams will only give you marks for certain things if you used 'their' terminology, even if what you have written is correct. An experienced tutor can help with this... as well as meticulously studying mark schemes for exams!
Original post by Cowie315
Oh they've definitely count, as long as you sit the formal examination, your alevel is classed the same as anyone else applying to university. It shows a particular level of comprehension of a subject no matter what your age.
I've done alevels as a mature student. Without which I wouldn't have gained a place at vet school.
I studied at a college, but if I had self taught I would have needed to sit the exams or I could have just taught myself anything :h: it's your only proof.

If you are genuinely considering self study, I would highly recommend budgeting for even two or three hours a month with a subject specific tutor, who has experience of your chosen exam board. This person can really help you refine your exam technique, which is just as important as learning the topics. Can make the difference between a C and a A/B grade! Also gives you someone to ask your questions and refine anything that needs specific wording... for example wjec exam board biology exams will only give you marks for certain things if you used 'their' terminology, even if what you have written is correct. An experienced tutor can help with this... as well as meticulously studying mark schemes for exams!

I found one college that does a-levels for teens and adults but got put off by being in a class of teens..might look at OU as a back up opt, so much to think about right now but your input has helped a lot. Thank you v much. Wish I could have a study buddy..financing in something that shook going back to uni open day £9,250 per year..omg oh how 10-12yrs it's all changed!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending