The Student Room Group

How many years will student finance fund me?

I've been wondering about this for a while and I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether student finance will continue to fund me for my circumstance.

So,

I've just completed a foundation year at my university, and now I am progressing to my first year of my chosen degree.

Originally my uni had put me in a aeronautical + foundation year course 'code',even though I applied for mechanical engineering. They did this because after the foundation year I can progress to any engineering course and it was easier to put everyone together- which in my case is mechanical eng.

Therefore, I changed my original to aeronautical + foundation year code on student finance (looking back I probably shouldn't)

now the main issue is this:

I've done 1 foundation year
Now, I've changed my SFE course code to 4 years (sandwich) - mechanical engineering.

So, if I decided to do a master's after this would student finance still fund me.

I heard somewhere the placement year isn't considered as a year of studying. So does that mean I will be funded for my foundation year, 3 years at uni and masters?

Lastly, I heard student finance fund you for 4 years

I would love someone's advice. Thank you.
You will get funded, yes. You get length of course + 1 - previous study. So, if that includes a foundation and a sandwich year, you'll still get funded for all.

If the masters is a different course, the funding is different. Your previous funding will be ignored.
Reply 2
Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃
I've been wondering about this for a while and I would be grateful if someone could tell me whether student finance will continue to fund me for my circumstance.

So,

I've just completed a foundation year at my university, and now I am progressing to my first year of my chosen degree.

Originally my uni had put me in a aeronautical + foundation year course 'code',even though I applied for mechanical engineering. They did this because after the foundation year I can progress to any engineering course and it was easier to put everyone together- which in my case is mechanical eng.

Therefore, I changed my original to aeronautical + foundation year code on student finance (looking back I probably shouldn't)

now the main issue is this:

I've done 1 foundation year
Now, I've changed my SFE course code to 4 years (sandwich) - mechanical engineering.

So, if I decided to do a master's after this would student finance still fund me.

I heard somewhere the placement year isn't considered as a year of studying. So does that mean I will be funded for my foundation year, 3 years at uni and masters?

Lastly, I heard student finance fund you for 4 years

I would love someone's advice. Thank you.

When you say Masters do you mean a MEng (undergraduate Masters, also known as an integrated Masters) or MSc (postgraduate Masters). The funding is different.

If you mean MEng then that's just a longer undergrad course and your current funding can cover it. You just tell SFE you are doing the longer course.

If it's a MSc then you need a postgrad loan.

Note, most engineers do the MEng not BEng (or BSc) + MSc, because the funding is simpler. Sometimes they start in the BEng stream, and then with good marks, move "up" to the MEng stream after year 1 or 2. That's quite normal, and not a funding problem at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
When you say Masters do you mean a MEng (undergraduate Masters, also known as an integrated Masters) or MSc (postgraduate Masters). The funding is different.

If you mean MEng then that's just a longer undergrad course and your current funding can cover it. You just tell SFE you are doing the longer course.

If it's a MSc then you need a postgrad loan.

Note, most engineers do the MEng not BEng (or BSc) + MSc, because the funding is simpler. Sometimes they start in the BEng stream, and then with good marks, move "up" to the MEng stream after year 1 or 2. That's quite normal, and not a funding problem at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Currently I'm on BEng, however if my uni tell me that I am able to do the MEng, should I
not recieve any hassle from student finance by changing it in second year.

Reply 4
Original post by ❃ Stardust ❃
Currently I'm on BEng, however if my uni tell me that I am able to do the MEng, should I
not recieve any hassle from student finance by changing it in second year.

Correct. That's absolutely fine, and a very common change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently on 3rd bsc forensic science but really want to change to msci forensic science. However, I've already completed 2 years+1 year repeat on previous study on different course. That makes it total 4 years including this year. My question is would student loan fund the extra year to compete msci, which would make it 5 years total funding??

Please help thanks in advance
Original post by renabazzle
I'm currently on 3rd bsc forensic science but really want to change to msci forensic science. However, I've already completed 2 years+1 year repeat on previous study on different course. That makes it total 4 years including this year. My question is would student loan fund the extra year to compete msci, which would make it 5 years total funding??

Please help thanks in advance

Hi Renabazzle

if you switch to do a 4 year course you will be awarded 5 years of funding, minus any previous study, which is your 3 years so far. This means you would be entitled for funding for years 3 and 4.

Thanks
I failed foundation year once due to personal reasons and then passed the second time. Now that I’m going to start my first year, they told me that I will not receive the tuition fee for my first year but only for my 2nd and 3rd. I would’ve assumed my whole course will be funded as I cannot afford to pay 9k in one go. Does anyone know what I can do?
Original post by Scrahman
I failed foundation year once due to personal reasons and then passed the second time. Now that I’m going to start my first year, they told me that I will not receive the tuition fee for my first year but only for my 2nd and 3rd. I would’ve assumed my whole course will be funded as I cannot afford to pay 9k in one go. Does anyone know what I can do?

Hi there,

Was the foundation year a separate course from the course you now want to do?

Thanks,
Kristina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending