The Student Room Group

Criminal damage.

3rd year student in London. A few weeks ago I had some friends over and they were stupid enough to set off the house fire extinguishers. Paid for replacements. But the landlord is pushing for a conviction. What is likely to come of this? Also, what are the chances of me being able to move out even though I have a contract and am liable for the rent? Landlord doesn't seem to want to budge.
(edited 7 years ago)
have your friends who set it off take responsibility??
Reply 2
Original post by subzero6661
have your friends who set it off take responsibility??

I'm not really willing to dob in my best mates to be honest that's the issue, as silly as it was, they were very drunk.
You are liable for the damage your friends caused so you are right to have paid for them. Obviously you are not criminally responsible. If the police contact you, which is unlikely, just tell them you didn't do it but have paid for it.

Regarding moving out, if you have a contract which your landlord won't budge on, then there is nothing you can do. She can't stop you moving out put you will be liable to pay the rent.

You are obviously not the perfect housemate judging on this incident alone so I would try harder to get on with the other tenants.
(edited 7 years ago)
im sure you cannot be forced to stay there if you feel unsafe, and if you have to leave due to that then its not your fault then they cant hold you against it?
kinda like if you leave home willingly then its your responsibility to find another house or become homeless, whereas if you left home because of abuse you can apply for emergency housing kind of thing

i have no experience with law or anything, could be talking complete s**t
Reply 5
Original post by subzero6661
im sure you cannot be forced to stay there if you feel unsafe, and if you have to leave due to that then its not your fault then they cant hold you against it?
kinda like if you leave home willingly then its your responsibility to find another house or become homeless, whereas if you left home because of abuse you can apply for emergency housing kind of thing

i have no experience with law or anything, could be talking complete s**t

They can't force me to stay. But they can force me to pay the rest of the years rent even if I leave.
Original post by fuzzystudent
They can't force me to stay. But they can force me to pay the rest of the years rent even if I leave.

when you signed the contract im sure it was to live in a safe environment?

say if they were to beat you up, not saying it will happen, would you be required to pay the years rent just to be able to leave? idk man, that seems kinda low..
i would think some kinda judge would have some compassion in one of those civil court things like judge rinder

emotional and mental abuse is just as bad and damagin as physical, you just cant see it on the outside

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending