The Student Room Group

Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tomtjl
I have to wonder about their business model tbh. They made a fair amount of money when the game was at its peak but if they sold TMs, Stardust, Eggs, Great/Ultra balls, Revives, Max Potions etc they'd have made so much more money. Especially on TMs and Stardust. I completely agree with you in that interest has been massively lost in the game. They need to introduce legendaries or do something to spark interest. I don't think releasing Johto would help much tbh, it's more about the actual gameplay imo and the game just gets boring after a while. They need to switch it up. I also don't think they thought the levelling system through either, because it's going to get to a point when people can't level up for months at a time (imagine if the levels get extended to 100 for example, 99->100 would probably take 1 billion exp).

Hopefully they switch things up soon, otherwise I don't see the game lasting another 6 months tbh.

I don't think they have a business model tbh. They obviously had Ingress before and they developed a lot of back story into it. I imagine they paid Nintendo a big fee or a portion and so they didn't want to try and have a fully developed game in case it went badly. Some rumours that Nintendo pushed Niantic to release early (before the game was ready) so it came out during the summer.

So some basic game released and then the game was something like 50x more traffic than anticipated so they've struggled with demand and cheaters so always playing catch up.

Yea the entire game-play needs to be rethought. It just doesn't work. I think they tried to mirror the curve for xp level up as for the original game. Te issue being that in the original games, the xp you gain also curves up (not as extensively but still does) whereas in Pokemon Go it doesn't change at all and if anything, the rate of new pokemon dramatically drops and so you then get less xp than expected.

I'm not sure how much they can switch up when the game is based around throwing pokeballs?

Crazy how much games now hype and peak but then crash dramatically too. I imagine with FPM back up for a short period and the Halloween candy boost meant that loads of people maxed out their pokedex and their interest will drop too. Gyms are pointless and don't change much either so that's another element of the game which is down the drain.

Instead of daily quests to get a bit more xp and stardust, it should've been specific quests to get a "rare candy". So for example your quest would be to catch a diglett and for completing you get a rare candy = something you can use instead of any specific candy. That way all the casual players would have enough incentive to keep logging in every day. The active players are already capped by the max curve of a pokemon so you wouldn't be giving out that much rare candy.
Original post by Zerforax
I don't think they have a business model tbh. They obviously had Ingress before and they developed a lot of back story into it. I imagine they paid Nintendo a big fee or a portion and so they didn't want to try and have a fully developed game in case it went badly. Some rumours that Nintendo pushed Niantic to release early (before the game was ready) so it came out during the summer.

So some basic game released and then the game was something like 50x more traffic than anticipated so they've struggled with demand and cheaters so always playing catch up.

Yea the entire game-play needs to be rethought. It just doesn't work. I think they tried to mirror the curve for xp level up as for the original game. Te issue being that in the original games, the xp you gain also curves up (not as extensively but still does) whereas in Pokemon Go it doesn't change at all and if anything, the rate of new pokemon dramatically drops and so you then get less xp than expected.

I'm not sure how much they can switch up when the game is based around throwing pokeballs?

Crazy how much games now hype and peak but then crash dramatically too. I imagine with FPM back up for a short period and the Halloween candy boost meant that loads of people maxed out their pokedex and their interest will drop too. Gyms are pointless and don't change much either so that's another element of the game which is down the drain.

Instead of daily quests to get a bit more xp and stardust, it should've been specific quests to get a "rare candy". So for example your quest would be to catch a diglett and for completing you get a rare candy = something you can use instead of any specific candy. That way all the casual players would have enough incentive to keep logging in every day. The active players are already capped by the max curve of a pokemon so you wouldn't be giving out that much rare candy.

Yeah, I think the daily quest idea is a last ditch effort to increase activity in the game. The issue though is that an extra 500 exp per day or whatever it is won't make people suddenly start playing the game. More likely they're going to log on, catch 1 Pokemon and go to 1 Pokestop and then turn the game off (that's my current plan once they're eventually released).

This is without even mentioning the fact that the tracking system is STILL BROKEN. They started testing their other tracking system in San Francisco in August and they just now put in place in 2 other cities. IT ALREADY ****ING WORKS JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY YOU **** HEADS.

I love the idea of rare candy as candy that is universally used. It would be difficult to implement, but if you get 1 rare candy per daily quest (and maybe 5 for the 7 consecutive daily quests) then you could get quite a lot of candy for those rare Pokemon - whether they are rare for your area or just rare in general.
Original post by tomtjl
Yeah, I think the daily quest idea is a last ditch effort to increase activity in the game. The issue though is that an extra 500 exp per day or whatever it is won't make people suddenly start playing the game. More likely they're going to log on, catch 1 Pokemon and go to 1 Pokestop and then turn the game off (that's my current plan once they're eventually released).

This is without even mentioning the fact that the tracking system is STILL BROKEN. They started testing their other tracking system in San Francisco in August and they just now put in place in 2 other cities. IT ALREADY ****ING WORKS JUST RELEASE IT ALREADY YOU **** HEADS.

I love the idea of rare candy as candy that is universally used. It would be difficult to implement, but if you get 1 rare candy per daily quest (and maybe 5 for the 7 consecutive daily quests) then you could get quite a lot of candy for those rare Pokemon - whether they are rare for your area or just rare in general.

Well any game needs to entice people into logging in daily. I'm not sure I will log in anymore - don't think it's enough of a reward really.

The new tracker thing isn't great since it only shows pokemon next to a pokestop I think? Shooting themselves in the foot imo. The other thing they could've done is just released an item which shows you the location of all pokemon for 30 mins - would give them a huge revenue too if someone used an item purchased each time they see a wild Snorlax/Lapras/Dratini etc.
Why does Fastpokemap have to be down?!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478453697.364062.jpg

Seriously...
Went out looking for this...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scienceisgood
Why does Fastpokemap have to be down?!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478453697.364062.jpg

Seriously...
Went out looking for this...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brutal.. I think FPM is gone for good now. Niantic patched the route they had in to get in :frown:

Never going to find that Chansey I needed..
So I evolved my THIRD Gyarados today and got ****ING TWISTER AGAIN AHAHSKSNDBJDNSBDFDJDN

On another note, I caught a roadside Muk today and finally evolved Omanyte so my Pokedex is currently complete! Or as complete as it can be, anyways. I also caught a 740 CP Dratini, so I think I'm going to try and evolve that at the moment, but once that's done then I'm probably done as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
So I evolved my THIRD Gyarados today and got ****ING TWISTER AGAIN AHAHSKSNDBJDNSBDFDJDN

On another note, I caught a roadside Muk today and finally evolved Omanyte so my Pokedex is currently complete! Or as complete as it can be, anyways. I also caught a 740 CP Dratini, so I think I'm going to try and evolve that at the moment, but once that's done then I'm probably done as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn I hate you for having a Chansey :frown:
Damn I hate you for having a Chansey :frown:

Then you probably won't like my new Dragonite either :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomtjl
Then you probably won't like my new Dragonite either :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not that fussed about Dragonite since I finally have one (even if mine is 130 CP lower than yours). Just need to find a few dratinis to power mine up a little more.

I seem to only be picking up 5km eggs now too. Where are the 10km eggs when you desperately want one?!
I'm not that fussed about Dragonite since I finally have one (even if mine is 130 CP lower than yours). Just need to find a few dratinis to power mine up a little more.

I seem to only be picking up 5km eggs now too. Where are the 10km eggs when you desperately want one?!

Haha, that's fair enough. A Pokemon like Chansey is all about luck to be honest and it's not like you're gonna find one in a city centre :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apologies for the double post, but some massive news out in the past few hours:
- Daily streaks are now officially active (once you update the game)
- Breakdown of the code has shown that the new update contains code for Ditto and ALL THE GEN 2 POKEMON.
- Pokestops are now speedlocked - you can't activate them if you're going over 25mph
- Pokestops now give out more items than previously
- Gyms are now twice as hard to level up
- Gyms are now twice as easy to take down

I think that's all that happened in the update.
Original post by tomtjl
Haha, that's fair enough. A Pokemon like Chansey is all about luck to be honest and it's not like you're gonna find one in a city centre :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

10km egg is probably my best hope. I never even saw a Chansey on FPM whereas I probably saw about 5-10 Lapras and Snorlax over a week period.

Original post by tomtjl
Apologies for the double post, but some massive news out in the past few hours:
- Daily streaks are now officially active (once you update the game)
- Breakdown of the code has shown that the new update contains code for Ditto and ALL THE GEN 2 POKEMON.
- Pokestops are now speedlocked - you can't activate them if you're going over 25mph
- Pokestops now give out more items than previously
- Gyms are now twice as hard to level up
- Gyms are now twice as easy to take down

I think that's all that happened in the update.

Be interesting to see what the weekly spawn for pokestop items is with the bonus? Considering pokestops are already giving out way more items. I really should've expanded my bag since 350 items isn't enough..

The gym change is good imo. Took forever to take a gym down before whereas now it should take less than half the time. I might knock one down tonight to test out the Dragonite.

The extra stardust is nice - works out as an extra 5,000 per week (which is the same as catching 50 pokemon usually).

Ugh I have like 80 evolutions ready but no lucky egg. Going to be a pain to get 60 more coins with so many level 10 gyms..
Well, my 10k egg hatched into what is easily the most useless thing you can get from a 10k egg...

Jynx...

Also, used my Incense today and got sweet FA...
Well, my 10k egg hatched into what is easily the most useless thing you can get from a 10k egg...

Jynx...

Also, used my Incense today and got sweet FA...

Some of the 10km eggs don't make sense considering how easy they are to find or how useless they are.
Guys, is it worth powering up my Lapras given its IVs are only 71?

Have been hoping to get another one from an egg but no luck and doubt I will again...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478636942.831875.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, is it worth powering up my Lapras given its IVs are only 71?

Have been hoping to get another one from an egg but no luck and doubt I will again...

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1478636942.831875.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would because the moves are the best you can get and you should be able to get it up a decent CP with those candies you have. A 2k Lapras is probably more use to you to help take down Dragonites than nothing.

On the note of Dragonite, this game is just evil.. I caught a 86% Dratini at a high CP - which would evolve into a CP 2650 Dragonite. So basically 25% worse in IVs than the one I evolved..

Not the end of the world but no doubt had I not evolved the Dragonite, I wouldn't have found this one :facepalm:
I would because the moves are the best you can get and you should be able to get it up a decent CP with those candies you have. A 2k Lapras is probably more use to you to help take down Dragonites than nothing.

On the note of Dragonite, this game is just evil.. I caught a 86% Dratini at a high CP - which would evolve into a CP 2650 Dragonite. So basically 25% worse in IVs than the one I evolved..

Not the end of the world but no doubt had I not evolved the Dragonite, I wouldn't have found this one :facepalm:

@Science - Power up the Lapras. You're not getting another one anytime soon and even if you do, IVs aren't the end of the world.

@Zerf - that is unlucky as **** :/. That's always how the game works though. In another 2 months you can evolve it :tongue:.
Original post by tomtjl
@Science - Power up the Lapras. You're not getting another one anytime soon and even if you do, IVs aren't the end of the world.

@Zerf - that is unlucky as **** :/. That's always how the game works though. In another 2 months you can evolve it :tongue:.

The game just taunting me..

Took my first gym (only level 6) down in weeks since the last gym changes. The increased prestige loss to 1000 actually helps a fair bit.
Alright guys, hatched 2 eggs today and am relatively pleased with the results. Got a 95% IV Machop (here's hoping for a GOOD Machamp in the future...) and a 91% IV Magikarp.

Evolved the Magikarp today and got the EXACT same moveset as my other Gyarados... Bite and Dragon Pulse... Could have been worse but was hoping for better... =(
Also, powered up my Lapras with all the candy I had, was 1645 CP and is now sitting on 2015 CP. =)

Quick Reply

Latest