The Student Room Group

Maintenance loan help!?

Hello! This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right haha :tongue:

I have been on and off for about a few months now about going into children's nursing because I am very good with children I have taken care of them for three years now looking after babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers and up to the age of 12 years old. I think I have a good bond with them and seem to know how to talk to them and understand how they are feeling. I didn't study very well at school and I regret it, but I am 20 years old and need to do my maths and english again (my university accept functional skills level 2 as equivalent to GCSE) so that's what I will be doing, I struggle with maths a lot but hopefully I should be fine. I have found an Access to HE in nursing distance learning, and I can get it funded with advanced learner loans as its my first level 3 qualification, and I do have an interview with my local university so that is all fine and in the running!

The only problem is, what about maintenance loans? I've been told getting a job is impossible whilst doing a medical course so how much maintenance would I get a month? I will be driving whilst at university I have my practical test soon so by September 2017 I will hopefully have a car as I would definitely need it as I will be on placement 24/7.

My household income is quite high but my parents wouldn't be able to give me money every month because I do have younger siblings so I would need my own money for like petrol for my car etc, on student finance when doing the calculator for maintenance and tuition fees why do I need to include my income if I won't be working whilst studying?

Thank you! Hope you can help :redface:
Original post by tinkschloe96
Hello! This is my first post so I hope I'm doing it right haha :tongue:

I have been on and off for about a few months now about going into children's nursing because I am very good with children I have taken care of them for three years now looking after babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers and up to the age of 12 years old. I think I have a good bond with them and seem to know how to talk to them and understand how they are feeling. I didn't study very well at school and I regret it, but I am 20 years old and need to do my maths and english again (my university accept functional skills level 2 as equivalent to GCSE) so that's what I will be doing, I struggle with maths a lot but hopefully I should be fine. I have found an Access to HE in nursing distance learning, and I can get it funded with advanced learner loans as its my first level 3 qualification, and I do have an interview with my local university so that is all fine and in the running!

The only problem is, what about maintenance loans? I've been told getting a job is impossible whilst doing a medical course so how much maintenance would I get a month? I will be driving whilst at university I have my practical test soon so by September 2017 I will hopefully have a car as I would definitely need it as I will be on placement 24/7.

My household income is quite high but my parents wouldn't be able to give me money every month because I do have younger siblings so I would need my own money for like petrol for my car etc, on student finance when doing the calculator for maintenance and tuition fees why do I need to include my income if I won't be working whilst studying?

Thank you! Hope you can help :redface:

If you don't meet independent student criteria (have you worked full time for the past 3 years) then with a high household income you won't get the maximum since they ll expect your parents to contribute something,have that conversation with your parents now so you know what you really working with.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you don't meet independent student criteria (have you worked full time for the past 3 years) then with a high household income you won't get the maximum since they ll expect your parents to contribute something,have that conversation with your parents now so you know what you really working with.

I have only been working full time for the last few months (40 hours per week) Other jobs were like 20/16 hours per week, does that make a difference?

Thanks
I have only been working full time for the last few months (40 hours per week) Other jobs were like 20/16 hours per week, does that make a difference?

Thanks

Contact sfe to check,your income has to have been over a certain amount so I don't think 16 hour jobs would be enough

Thanks

You have to earn over £7500 per year. 16 hours a week won't be enough I'm afraid.

Going to move this one to the student financial support forum. Questions on general money and finance go here and anything to do with student finance, go into the student financial support forum. Thanks.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
You have to earn over £7500 per year. 16 hours a week won't be enough I'm afraid.

Going to move this one to the student financial support forum. Questions on general money and finance go here and anything to do with student finance, go into the student financial support forum. Thanks.

Hang on a second, so I won't get any maintenance loan whilst studying? I've been working since I was 16 part time and full time, I am currently doing 40 hours per week and will obviously stop whilst doing my nursing course, so how much will I get a month? I will definitely need the money!!!
Hang on a second, so I won't get any maintenance loan whilst studying? I've been working since I was 16 part time and full time, I am currently doing 40 hours per week and will obviously stop whilst doing my nursing course, so how much will I get a month? I will definitely need the money!!!

Everyone is entitled to the maintenance loan and tuition fees if they meet the residency criteria and haven't studied before. (with some exceptions)

If you're not classed as indepdent, it'll go on your parents income.

Quick Reply