Scroll to see replies

Original post by yudothis
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have you even traveled the world?

dont need to, call me a modern day shakespeare
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Danny the Geezer
dont need to, call me a modern day shakespeare

That is the least of what you are. As we understand it.

Considering the time he lived in and how backwards they are to now, maybe it's fitting.
Wasn't that a global recession and gold prices are determined globally?

yes but come on with most of the middle east at war, America about to elect the lesser of two evils and Brexit hitting the UK market we'll have a new recession
Reply 83
I couldn't give a toss tbh, we're always going to be called "racist" (see above). Xenophobia, or patriotism?? Where do you draw the line?

These people who call Britain a racist country are probably the same people benefitting from it's foreign aid, it's intervention in usurping tyrants and dictators etc etc etc etc

I don't think it makes you necessarily a racist. I just think:
a) globalisation is inevitable in the long-run (assuming no unforseen changes), regardless of what you think of it. Resist it, and you will be left behind. Immigration is also helpful given that we have nearly full employment in this country.
b) the economic of damage is going to be massive. Especially in a Hard Brexit, we may lose the hub status of the City of London. Significant loss of revenue, and government budgets will then need to be re-balanced through more cuts in the long-run.
c) the sovereignty argument is to some extent bunk, in the sense that the EU will still determine the bulk of commercial regulation that we will enforce, given that it will remain our largest trading partner. It's just that we will no longer have any power in determining it. This may be less true in the civil law space, but I really have no objection to European Human Rights Law anyway
d) the political damage could be catastrophic. It has already destroyed the Labour Party, and the Conservatives are clearly themselves now feeling the heat. Regardless of your political persuasion, there is nothing good about having no effective working opposition. There is nothing worse than the entire system of governance falling apart, and it really feels to me that it is a little..
e) Brexit will hurt the worse off in this country worse than the rich. Starting with the inflation that is just beginning to bite now. The rich will skip to Frankfurt if they have to.

So, in conclusion, **** call.
Original post by bj_945
I don't think it makes you necessarily a racist. I just think:
a) globalisation is inevitable in the long-run (assuming no unforseen changes), regardless of what you think of it. Resist it, and you will be left behind. Immigration is also helpful given that we have nearly full employment in this country.
b) the economic of damage is going to be massive. Especially in a Hard Brexit, we may lose the hub status of the City of London. Significant loss of revenue, and government budgets will then need to be re-balanced through more cuts in the long-run.
c) the sovereignty argument is to some extent bunk, in the sense that the EU will still determine the bulk of commercial regulation that we will enforce, given that it will remain our largest trading partner. It's just that we will no longer have any power in determining it. This may be less true in the civil law space, but I really have no objection to European Human Rights Law anyway
d) the political damage could be catastrophic. It has already destroyed the Labour Party, and the Conservatives are clearly themselves now feeling the heat. Regardless of your political persuasion, there is nothing good about having no effective working opposition. There is nothing worse than the entire system of governance falling apart, and it really feels to me that it is a little..
e) Brexit will hurt the worse off in this country worse than the rich. Starting with the inflation that is just beginning to bite now. The rich will skip to Frankfurt if they have to.

So, in conclusion, **** call.

Hang on, we're at "full" employment? There's a chonic job shortage in the towns and cities, especiallypost-idnustrial cities like Manchester with lots of blue-collar labour; it's all Polish workers.

It's like anything, the working man will always suffer and the ruling classes so to speak will "win", just like the lucky sperm gets to the womb, but less of a lottery and more of a pre-determined default.
Reply 85
Hang on, we're at "full" employment? There's a chonic job shortage in the towns and cities, especiallypost-idnustrial cities like Manchester with lots of blue-collar labour; it's all Polish workers.

It's like anything, the working man will always suffer and the ruling classes so to speak will "win", just like the lucky sperm gets to the womb, but less of a lottery and more of a pre-determined default.

Unemployment is nearly at record-low levels historically. http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate

We are at 4.9% unemployment. France is at 10.5%. Spain is at 22.7%.

People need to stop shouting about how **** life is. Things can be a lot, lot worse than they are in this country. And now that Brexit has happened, they probably will be.
(edited 7 years ago)
That is the least of what you are. As we understand it.

Considering the time he lived in and how backwards they are to now, maybe it's fitting.

You think the people of the 15/1600's were backward?? Haha you obviously have no idea, the class system was a lot more rigid back then, there wasn't much poverty, really, there was a lot more aristorcracy and that compared to now, they didn't have the internet or electricity or computers or anything and yet that generation still made amazing inventions and discoveries, stop talking baloney.
Original post by Treblebee
Um, we may have some of the best Universities in the world, but that doesn't mean that we have brilliant education in schools; a lot of things are based off box-ticking, which won't help when it comes to job-hunting, especially if you want to try abroad. What about the fact that, if immigrants are taking British jobs, it may mean that they are better qualified?
As for focussing on the vulnerable... I believe we are doing just that :wink:

OK but, with a sizeable, majority of people in these elite universities being British surely that would imply that our school system is semi-decent? Also, it's been consistently, statistically, proven that people from certain minorites are consequently the poorest academic achievers. So what chance does someone coming here who can't speak English stand? And, another thing, how do you know "who" is better qualified to do a job, which is going to be blue collar, "manual labour" type work which requitres no formal academic qualifications?

We are not looking after to most vulnerable Britsh people in society, we are just not. Foreigners are taking precedence time and again.
Take employment figures with a pinch of salt. If your job doesn't cover your living costs fully then you're still in poverty, pure and simple

Oh yeah, and what's the point of being proud of a nation's economy when its contributors can just bail out of the country at any time and take their cash with them. Regardless of our EU status
(edited 7 years ago)
You think the people of the 15/1600's were backward?? Haha you obviously have no idea, the class system was a lot more rigid back then, there wasn't much poverty, really, there was a lot more aristorcracy and that compared to now, they didn't have the internet or electricity or computers or anything and yet that generation still made amazing inventions and discoveries, stop talking baloney.

If only you would.
Reply 90
Original post by shawn_o1
Take employment figures with a pinch of salt. If your job doesn't cover your living costs fully then you're still in poverty, pure and simple

Oh yeah, and what's the point of being proud of a nation's economy when its contributors can just bail out of the country at any time and take their cash with them. Regardless of our EU status

On employment: The statistics do not lie. We have low unemployment in this country. We do, on the other hand, have a problem with the redistribution of wealth and economic inequality, particularly relating to regional inequality. This is a problem which must be addressed. But Brexit will do nothing to address it; Brexit will make it worse! And any levelling that does occur will involve a levelling down.

The point of having a strong economy is not that you can be proud of it as a nation. It is that you can provide jobs for as many people as possible, and the highest standard of living to as many people as possible.

Free movement of capital and labour will not end with Brexit. Even if the EU served to make these movements easier. There will be (already is) capital flight from Britain, and a flight of human labour too.

If you are happy with being smaller and poorer, that's fine. I am certainly not, and I am not going to have my career ruined by the vote. If I have to leave the country to do what I want to do, I will.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
I commend you. The anti - racists all voted Remain because they want no differences between anyone on the planet... except how much they earn.

:rofl:
And, another thing, how do you know "who" is better qualified to do a job, which is going to be blue collar, "manual labour" type work which requitres no formal academic qualifications?
For the economy, the person that can do the job the most efficiently, e.g. cost per part. If the economy doesn't work, neither do lots of people.

Immigrants perform skilled as well as unskilled jobs. For example, many other countries have better education of the trades, e.g. plumbing, building. I'd hire the person that will do the job right first-time. They also perform jobs that it is not possible to get locals to do economically, e.g. fruit picking / vegetable harvesting. Jobs that cannot be done at a competitive price will disappear, not transfer.
Reply 93

It's not a zero-sum game.
Original post by RogerOxon
For the economy, the person that can do the job the most efficiently, e.g. cost per part. If the economy doesn't work, neither do lots of people.

Immigrants perform skilled as well as unskilled jobs. For example, many other countries have better education of the trades, e.g. plumbing, building. I'd hire the person that will do the job right first-time. They also perform jobs that it is not possible to get locals to do economically, e.g. fruit picking / vegetable harvesting. Jobs that cannot be done at a competitive price will disappear, not transfer.

Well it's one of any number of things. I know I keep emphasising the point, but, let's focus on the vulnerable and disenfranchised of our "own" country, then maybe extend a hand to people across Europe and the rest of the world?

It's also largely down to corporate fat-cat exploitation; they want to employ (let's just say) people of Eastern European origin because they will work "harder", (which has never been conclusively proven compared to the work ethic of the general British born workforce). They are however, to contextualise it, willing to work longer for less, (which is what the corporations and employees etc capitalise on). In return then get to live in the UK. It's a two way thing,.

And why can't jobs like fruit-pickig etc be given to British students who'd need the money over the summer?
And why can't jobs like fruit-pickig etc be given to British students who'd need the money over the summer?

Because, in general, they won't do it for an economic rate, or aren't available when it needs doing.

If a UK-only recession comes, many will want the ability to work in Europe. Auf wiedersehen, Pet.

Quick Reply

Latest