The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Why is the student satisfaction in Edinburgh so low?

I am really curious. Is it because of the workload?
How do these people collect the data and how accurate is it?

(Also I am talking about University of Edinburgh just in case XD )
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

>> Edinburgh <<

Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Have you ever been to Edinburgh? If not, you'd be quite dissatisfied being tied to the place!

Teaching is apparently hit or miss... Course dependant!
Reply 3
Original post by pmc:producer
Have you ever been to Edinburgh? If not, you'd be quite dissatisfied being tied to the place!

I received an offer from them. I was thinking of firming it. That's the reason why I asked this question.

I disagree with that completely. I'm a student at the university and I'm extremely satisfied with my courses. I don't think you can generalise and say they'd be dissatisfied being tied to the place?

As for the reason the student satisfaction is "so low", it's probably because if you compare it to other university's scores you'll find that they aren't all that much different. Most of the student satisfaction scores across all of the universities are bunched up tightly together, so even though that's where Edinburgh drops down it's place, it's still barely lower than other university's satisfaction scores.
Original post by EmmaLouise759
I disagree with that completely. I'm a student at the university and I'm extremely satisfied with my courses. I don't think you can generalise and say they'd be dissatisfied being tied to the place?

As for the reason the student satisfaction is "so low", it's probably because if you compare it to other university's scores you'll find that they aren't all that much different. Most of the student satisfaction scores across all of the universities are bunched up tightly together, so even though that's where Edinburgh drops down it's place, it's still barely lower than other university's satisfaction scores.

My comment was tounge in cheek about Edinburgh as a place. Are all Edinburgh students this serious? P.s. it is lower for student satisfaction than most others - regardless of how it scores overall.
My comment was tounge in cheek about Edinburgh as a place. Are all Edinburgh students this serious? P.s. it is lower for student satisfaction than most others - regardless of how it scores overall.

Serious? I'm only trying to give the person who made this thread my honest opinion on Edinburgh. :K: And yes as I said, it is lower for student satisfaction, but not by much at all. For example in the UK complete university guide, pretty much all universities fall into the 3.9-4.1/5 range for student satisfaction, which barely seems like a tremendous difference to be worrying about. Many more things are a better indicator of how happy a student would be at a university imo. :cute:
Serious? I'm only trying to give the person who made this thread my honest opinion on Edinburgh. :K: And yes as I said, it is lower for student satisfaction, but not by much at all. For example in the UK complete university guide, pretty much all universities fall into the 3.9-4.1/5 range for student satisfaction, which barely seems like a tremendous difference to be worrying about. Many more things are a better indicator of how happy a student would be at a university imo. :cute:

It's not about The Complete University Guide, it's about the NSS - where Edinburgh is = #145 (out of 160). So yes, it's considerably low.

Also, it's hard to see what better indicator there is above a National Student Survey focusing on student satisfaction? :lol:
It's not about The Complete University Guide, it's about the NSS - where Edinburgh is = #145 (out of 160). So yes, it's considerably low.

Also, it's hard to see what better indicator there is above a National Student Survey focusing on student satisfaction? :lol:

Considering you're not actually a student at Edinburgh I'm not sure how you can add anything to this thread that the thread starter couldn't have got from a cheeky google. Nor can I see how you can argue with a student at Edinburgh about how satisfied they are with their course along with the rest of the people they know at Edinburgh.
Considering you're not actually a student at Edinburgh I'm not sure how you can add anything to this thread that the thread starter couldn't have got from a cheeky google. Nor can I see how you can argue with a student at Edinburgh about how satisfied they are with their course along with the rest of the people they know at Edinburgh.

I don't think I need to be a student at all (least of all at Edinburgh) to highlight it ranks pretty much rock bottom in the NSS for student satisfaction. Or to question what better methods there are to give us an insight in to student satisfaction than an annual survey - immense in scale - dedicated to student satisfaction.

I appreciate you have no response to my relevant points so went on the offensive. No need to apologise, we'll leave it here and the OP can take from it what he or she wishes.

P.s. I never argued that you weren't happy :lol: I said the vast majority of your university are relative to other universities according to an independent survey.

Why? I'm thinking of applying for a Masters :P
Original post by PrinceHarrys
Why? I'm thinking of applying for a Masters :P

That was a tongue in cheek comment about the city - it's dreary and quite bland!

The university itself has a stellar academic reputation and will offer a good brand on your CV even if the NSS does rate it really poorly for ‘satisfaction’. And it’s located in the nicest part of the city.
That was a tongue in cheek comment about the city - it's dreary and quite bland!

The university itself has a stellar academic reputation and will offer a good brand on your CV even if the NSS does rate it really poorly for ‘satisfaction’. And it’s located in the nicest part of the city.

In your option Edinburgh is dreary and bland- However that is not the view of many people and indeed is often rated as one of the best places the UK to live

Here is just one example

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/edinburgh-voted-best-city-in-the-uk-for-third-year-running-1-4104729

If you find Edinburgh bland I think that might say more about you than it does the city- but each to their own :smile:

For someone not at Edinburgh you seem very keen to do it down on this forum - what did it do to you to make you so against the city?(and the university)
Original post by watchingyouwatch
In your option Edinburgh is dreary and bland- However that is not the view of many people and indeed is often rated as one of the best places the UK to live

Here is just one example

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/our-region/edinburgh/edinburgh-voted-best-city-in-the-uk-for-third-year-running-1-4104729

If you find Edinburgh bland I think that might say more about you than it does the city- but each to their own :smile:

For someone not at Edinburgh you seem very keen to do it down on this forum - what did it do to you to make you so against the city?(and the university)

I do find the City dreary and bland, it lacks character. Perhaps that's because Glasgow is much more vibrant and certainly far better for culture, live music, food, nights out and other things - although I admit this is subjective I feel there's little argument to be made in defence of Edinburgh.

Also, please, at least read my comments before assuming. For example, I've said nothing but good things about the University - a stellar reputation and great for the CV were my words I'm sure. As for the poor student satisfaction, I'm afraid that's Edinburgh students themselves - I was merely correcting a deluded student who told us they were similar or close to other universities in the scoring - which they aren't. She also told us there were better indicators to gain an insight in to student satisfaction - which there isn't.

As for the city? Beautiful Castle, nice city centre - but dismal for a night out, bland, no atmosphere, and it certainly isn't anywhere near as fun as most other UK major cities. Again, this is subjective admittedly.

But please, don't twist my words and take the huff because I'm calling a spade a spade.
Oh an please, you're giving me an Edinburgh piece from the Scotsman to celebrate everything good about Edinburgh? Cmon.

Christmas Markets. The Fringe. The Castle. The Dome. There you go, a quicker summary.
I do find the City dreary and bland, it lacks character. Perhaps that's because Glasgow is much more vibrant and certainly far better for culture, live music, food, nights out and other things - although I admit this is subjective I feel there's little argument to be made in defence of Edinburgh.

Also, please, at least read my comments before assuming. For example, I've said nothing but good things about the University - a stellar reputation and great for the CV were my words I'm sure. As for the poor student satisfaction, I'm afraid that's Edinburgh students themselves - I was merely correcting a deluded student who told us they were similar or close to other universities in the scoring - which they aren't. She also told us there were better indicators to gain an insight in to student satisfaction - which there isn't.

As for the city? Beautiful Castle, nice city centre - but dismal for a night out, bland, no atmosphere, and it certainly isn't anywhere near as fun as most other UK major cities. Again, this is subjective admittedly.

But please, don't twist my words and take the huff because I'm calling a spade a spade.

Why am I in a huff ? Because i disagreed with you (while accepting you were entitled to your opinion)

If you can find a city with so much beautiful architecture, green space, world class restaurants, theatres, musical venues culturally bland and with no atmosphere then I think you must have blinkers on.

You prefer Glasgow- which is of course an opinion you are entitled to. I prefer Edinburgh but i would not make the absurd assumption that therefore Glasgow is culturally bland. You are not calling a spade a spade- you are trying to pass your opinion as fact. You say it is your opinion but then say there is no argument for Edinburgh which clearly there is

If the Scotsman isn't god enough for you ( although if you had read it - they were reporting a poll from The telegraph of 75,000 people!)

here is one from This is money http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-3315200/Best-big-UK-city-live-s-Edinburgh-thanks-high-wages-cheap-rent-low-crime-levels.html

and the daily mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/officially-best-city-uk-how-6819699

and Time out

https://www.timeout.com/edinburgh/blog/edinburgh-named-as-the-best-place-to-live-in-2015-102215

The fact you don't like Edinburgh is fine- it would be tedious if we all agreed on what we thought was fun/atmospheric but the reality is that many people find it a vibrant and exciting city to live in- whatever you try to say
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by watchingyouwatch
Why am I in a huff ? Because i disagreed with you (while accepting you were entitled to your opinion)

If you can find a city with so much beautiful architecture, green space, world class restaurants, theatres, musical venues culturally bland and with no atmosphere then I think you must have blinkers on.

You prefer Glasgow- which is of course an opinion you are entitled to. I prefer Edinburgh but i would not make the absurd assumption that therefore Glasgow is culturally bland. You are not calling a spade a spade- you are trying to pass your opinion as fact. You say it is your opinion but then say there is no argument for Edinburgh which clearly there is

If the Scotsman isn't god enough for you ( although if you had read it - they were reporting a poll from The telegraph of 75,000 people!)

here is one from This is money http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-3315200/Best-big-UK-city-live-s-Edinburgh-thanks-high-wages-cheap-rent-low-crime-levels.html

and the daily mirror
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/officially-best-city-uk-how-6819699

and Time out

https://www.timeout.com/edinburgh/blog/edinburgh-named-as-the-best-place-to-live-in-2015-102215

The fact you don't like Edinburgh is fine- it would be tedious if we all agreed on what we thought was fun/atmospheric but the reality is that many people find it a vibrant and exciting city to live in- whatever you try to say

Wow. Down boy.

Also, my opinion on Edinburgh is based on being in Edinburgh... My saying Edinburgh is cultrally bland (did I say that?) is based on Edinburgh, nothing to do with Glasgow, London, Paris, Busapest or any other city I hold high above it. Relative to these cities - Edingburgh is dire. I would love to know what you thought was 'fun and vibrant'...

What part of me repeatedly stating something is subjective and my points are my opinion are me trying to pass things off as fact? Please, enlighten me.
Reply 17
I have absolutely no idea why it would have a low student satisfaction.

This is my account:
I absolutely love Edinburgh University, and the city is incredibly beautiful. As said by @watchingyouwatch the city has beautiful architecture and a lot of green space.The atmosphere among students is just fantastic; everyone has been friendly and helpful so far. Same with university staff. I've not met a single person who's wished ill on me or talked behind my back (unlike in high school). Also my course seems to consist of really motivated students who also know how to have a good time and stay active with hobbies. The uni gym is big and comfy with excellent facilities and a very affordable price. There's a catzillion societies and at least three nights a week there's bound to be an event going on by one of the societies that interests me. The city has plenty of shops on offer (that we don't have in my home city, Helsinki, the capital of Finland) and amazingly good food even for the budget of a student. I'm not a big fan of clubbing, so can't comment in those terms, but I can say that there's some nice bars around. Much better ones than in Helsinki.

If you're considering Edinburgh, I 100% recommend. My opinion might not stand up against all the bad reviews on NSS, but it's all I got. Honestly, I cannot think of a reason why the student satisfaction is so low. There are of course little things that I dislike (*cough* science campus location and broken lecture theater desks at said campus *cough*), but I don't think that's what drags the ratings down...?

P.s. I'd rank Edinburgh among my favorite cities, actually.
(edited 7 years ago)
The problem with Edinburgh is that it is a very research based institute and it is collosal in size. As such, everyone has different experiences of it. Rest assured that at some point, you will have an excelent course run by incredible lecturers who stimulate your interest and make learning easy and dare I say, fun. Conversely, you will also have lecturers that you hate and teach classes that are so terrible, you wonder how anyone passes. The way that the schools are broken up seems to catalys this, with a large amount of independance for each course, and even lecturer, to teach how they please.

As far as student support goes, it is pretty good. The only problem is that finding it is very difficult, with your best port of call being through your personal tutor. If you have personel tutor problems though, this gets a lot more difficult. As far as societies go, there are a tonne, wich makes choosing or finding one that you like all the more difficult. I know of incredibly athletic people who have come to Edinburgh and just not been able to decide which sport to do (they all train on a Wednesday afternoon) so have simply stopped. You will also find that the Student Association and class reps are all rediculously keen and, generally can't find the faults in the Uni. The people who are having problems andstrugling are drowned out by the other 30 000 under grads going through their day.

I found the city an incredible place to live and study, but I know of people from larger place who find it small and restrictive. The jist of edinburgh is that, if you're incredible, they will love you. Everyone else, make up the numbers, pay the man and don't complain.

PS. I am an Engineer, so have a completely different experience to Arts, and most of the Sciences students. Plus the fact that I do one of the few subjects where Edinburgh is probably not even the best uni in the city, let alone Scotland, is a ball ache.
Original post by Ulti-Mate

PS. I am an Engineer, so have a completely different experience to Arts, and most of the Sciences students. Plus the fact that I do one of the few subjects where Edinburgh is probably not even the best uni in the city, let alone Scotland, is a ball ache.

I do Engineering as my outside subject. Which Engineering course do you do? Because Edinburgh is in the top 5 in the UK for Civil and Chemical Engineering at least. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending