The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi All,

I'm a qualified paramedic and graduate from BU, so any questions or anything I can help with give me a shout.
The Personal statment is what sells you to the uni, remember to explain WHY your experience is relevant, and dont forget to talk about academia. It's a very academically heavy course and profession now, so you need to show you're able to learn and understand high level medicine.

Use the PS guide on here to help you and look into the PS mark service. ( I don't know what's going on with it on here as I used to be a PS marker, but am a little out of touch)

Good luck with your applications all.

Josh
Original post by lewislloyd
Thanks, I still don't see how having a bachelors puts you ahead of someone with a diploma, but that is governing bodies for you

The BSc is te future of the profession, it's the way we need to go and the HCPC can't bring the deadline in soon enough IMO.
The word is very academically heavy now and we are ever more reliant on understanding and critiquing evidence base to adapt our practice. This is ultimately the crux of why the BSc is better, because it sets you up to understand and self teach for your career.

We also need it in order to advance the profession, we wont get drugs like ketamine etc and independant prescribing when the profession isn't BSc level.
Nothing wrong with the FDSc's etc (that's all I'm qualified to), but it just means you have to work harder to get yourself up to standard, and top up.
Original post by LadyCadaver
Anyone else applying for UEA?

Do let us know if you have any questions about UEA, in the meantime, during this all important decision making process! :smile:

[video="youtube;L8rrx9B-Zk4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8rrx9B-Zk4[/video]
Original post by WaceMindu
The BSc is te future of the profession, it's the way we need to go and the HCPC can't bring the deadline in soon enough IMO.
The word is very academically heavy now and we are ever more reliant on understanding and critiquing evidence base to adapt our practice. This is ultimately the crux of why the BSc is better, because it sets you up to understand and self teach for your career.

We also need it in order to advance the profession, we wont get drugs like ketamine etc and independant prescribing when the profession isn't BSc level.
Nothing wrong with the FDSc's etc (that's all I'm qualified to), but it just means you have to work harder to get yourself up to standard, and top up.

I'm a bit on the fence regarding my personal statement, I've only got 4 events worth of Event First Aid as my relevant experience at the moment, should I forgo mentioning the extent of my experience and just say I'm a volunteer event first aider?
Original post by Tullet
I'm a bit on the fence regarding my personal statement, I've only got 4 events worth of Event First Aid as my relevant experience at the moment, should I forgo mentioning the extent of my experience and just say I'm a volunteer event first aider?

I wouldn't worry too much about detailing the length of time. Length of time surved or amount of experience is not the most important thing in your PS. It's how you talk about it and demonstrate what skills that experience have given you / required you to demonstrate that really matters.
They will be able to see how much expereince you have from the other details on your UCAS form, however the benefit of mentioning it in your PS means you'll be able to justify the relatively short ammount of time / experience.

Remember they're looking for candidates with the right attitube and qualities to be shaped into a good paramedic, not someone who's done every course under the sun and is basically there.

you can use the PS service on here for help and good luck :smile:
Hi All,

I'm a qualified paramedic and graduate from BU, so any questions or anything I can help with give me a shout.
The Personal statment is what sells you to the uni, remember to explain WHY your experience is relevant, and dont forget to talk about academia. It's a very academically heavy course and profession now, so you need to show you're able to learn and understand high level medicine.

Use the PS guide on here to help you and look into the PS mark service. ( I don't know what's going on with it on here as I used to be a PS marker, but am a little out of touch)

Josh

Hi Josh, thanks so much for commenting on the thread.

Did you have many interviews and offers for your choices of Unis? What made you decide to pick BU (also.. Is this Bournemouth or Brighton)?

What advice would you give for the interviews as well.. How much prep would one have to do?

Thanks!
How's everyone getting on with their applications? I've just submitted mine and waiting anxiously for that track email! 🙈 Eek!

It's all become very real now!
Hey All,

I have applied and just received my tracking information! Fingers are now firmly crossed :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone applying!

Amy
Original post by bumbleberry95
Hi Josh, thanks so much for commenting on the thread.

Did you have many interviews and offers for your choices of Unis? What made you decide to pick BU (also.. Is this Bournemouth or Brighton)?

What advice would you give for the interviews as well.. How much prep would one have to do?

Thanks!

My pleasure, I remember what it was like applying, it's a nerve wracking and stressful time, but so so worth it.

I interviewed for all of my choices ( except plymouth who don't interview) and got offers for all of them.
I chose BU ( Bournemouth) because that's home for me and decided Id prefer to focus fully on commitment to the course rather than having to worry about housing and money issues if I moved away.
It also placed students with SWAST who was the service I wanted to work for at the time, and work for now.

Interviews are a stressful time, but not designed to make you fail. I would advise trying to find out what type of proccess you chosen Uni's use. You can do this either on here or emailing the uni direct... don't be afraid to do this.
Some use 1 2 1 interviews, others use mini interviews and communication scenarios and some have written tests.
I would make sure you know in depth what you need and what you need to bring / wear on the day ( I would always wear a suit/ business atire but that's just me). You wouldn't beleive how many people turned up in jeans and a t-shirt for my interview days and forgot ID etc etc... suffice to say they didn't get on the course.

As far as prep goes, it's hopefully stuff you've already done, but I would make sure you really understand what the ambulance service is all about and what is expected of paramedics now. We're close to becoming Band 6 nationally, because we are autonomous practitioners, capable of administering various meds and dicharging patients independantly.
You should know about the HCPC and what they do, be familiar with the college of paramedics and their career frame work, know where the profession is going, advanced practice and independant prescribing.

I would also suggest reading documents like taking healthcare to the patient 2 ( the bradly report) and the keogh report. These are older docmuments now, but have shaped the ambulance service to be what it is.
Also read up about your placement trust, it's highliy likely your interview panel will be lecturers and members from the placement organisation so know about SWAST, SCAST, NWAS, who ever it is. Know about their coverage and some of their trust's missions / schemes. Also think about why you want to be a paramedic... why not a nurse or a doctor?

It all sounds daunting and a lot. I promise you it's not, it just comes down to being enthusiastic, they have to know you understand what you're getting yourself into and that you really want to do it. Because a 3 year degree is a long time to then decide you'd rather be in an office.

Sorry for the long post, I get quite passionate about this job :smile:

Feel free to ask anything else I can help with

Josh
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi All,

Josh

I was wondering do you graded like typical university courses like 2:1 or whatever or is it more just pass or fail at the end?
Original post by Tullet
I was wondering do you graded like typical university courses like 2:1 or whatever or is it more just pass or fail at the end?

Depends on what qualification the course awards. If you're doing a BSc it'll be 1st, 2:1 2:2 etc if it's an FdSc or Dip HE then it'll be pass, merit, distinction.
Does anyone know of any good books which would help with application/interviews but as well just to brush up on knowledge on the subject which would help?
hi guys where have you all applied
Original post by angelseyes
hi guys where have you all applied

I've applied to Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheffield Hallam, uea and Birmingham city,

Where have you applied? 😊
I've applied to Bournemouth, Brighton, Sheffield Hallam, uea and Birmingham city,

Uclan JMU and Edge Hill
Have you applied for student finance yet?

Any questions about BCU then hit me up
Original post by Nickko99
Any questions about BCU then hit me up

Did you do any fitness tests? How many universities actually do them? Also how difficult are they? I've been looking at the requirements and panicking a little! I go to the gym most days but my stamina isn't very good. I've been practising planks and press ups but I've been finding it difficult to practise grip tests ... Any advice?
Nick do you enjoy being a paramedic? what doors has it opened for you?
Does anyone know of any of the unis for the para science BSc that dont interview

Quick Reply

Latest