The Student Room Group

Changing mind about choices

I applied early (before 15 October) but have since changed my mind about one the unis I'm applying to and would like to swap it with another uni, but it's been more than 14 days. What do I do? Is it possible to withdraw application and reapply before 15 Jan? Is it possible to swap out a choice this late? Is my only option to take a gap year?
Original post by df-DF
I applied early (before 15 October) but have since changed my mind about one the unis I'm applying to and would like to swap it with another uni, but it's been more than 14 days. What do I do? Is it possible to withdraw application and reapply before 15 Jan? Is it possible to swap out a choice this late? Is my only option to take a gap year?

It's too late for swapping at this point , you can get rid of your choices and be put into ucas extra and then try clearing but there's no guarantee there ll be spaces on your chosen course.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
It's too late for swapping at this point , you can get rid of your choices and be put into ucas extra and then try clearing but there's no guarantee there ll be spaces on your chosen course.

Yeh I was thinking of doing that but that would involve rejecting three of my offers, and I could end up not getting a uni place in extra or clearing :/
Original post by df-DF
Yeh I was thinking of doing that but that would involve rejecting three of my offers, and I could end up not getting a uni place in extra or clearing :/

Well would you want to go to any of those three offers?
Reply 4
Original post by df-DF

Stay with the choices you have. If you don't get any offers you can apply to the other uni via Extra.

If you do get and accept offers then see what happens on results day. If the new uni is a higher "rank" then you can usually apply via Adjustment (if you exceed your Firm Offer).

Failing that apply via Clearing.

Why is it so important to apply to this specific uni? And why did you apply so early originally? This kind of emphasises why rushing an application is a bad idea...

PS. Did you apply for Engineering?
Reply 5
Well would you want to go to any of those three offers?

If i had to i would, but i'd prefer bath (the one i should've applied to) over three of my options. If i get into my two harder-to-get-in options, then there's no problem.
Original post by df-DF
If i had to i would, but i'd prefer bath (the one i should've applied to) over three of my options. If i get into my two harder-to-get-in options, then there's no problem.

As jneill says stick with as you ve got for now then use adjustment on results day if you re still set on bath then.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Stay with the choices you have. If you don't get any offers you can apply to the other uni via Extra.

If you do get and accept offers then see what happens on results day. If the new uni is a higher "rank" then you can usually apply via Adjustment (if you exceed your Firm Offer).

Failing that apply via Clearing.

Why is it so important to apply to this specific uni? And why did you apply so early originally? This kind of emphasises why rushing an application is a bad idea...

PS. Did you apply for Engineering?

Yeah i applied for general engineering, and then realised that i should've also searched for design engineering courses as they're pretty similar (i think, correct me if im wrong). I did a lot of searching and didn't rush into it, its just that i was looking at general courses only and only applied to one design course. I applied early cos of cambridge.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
As jneill says stick with as you ve got for now then use adjustment on results day if you re still set on bath then.

Ok ill probably do that, thank you for the advice :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by df-DF
Yeah i applied for general engineering, and then realised that i shouldve also searched for design engineering courses as theyre pretty similar (i think, correct me if im wrong). I did a lot of searching and didnt rush into it, its just that i was looking at general courses only and only applied to one design ciurse (bristol). I applied early cos of cambridge.

I prefer bath (the one i didnt apply to) over three of my other choices, durham bristol and warwick, altho theyr all good unis. Regarding adjustment, both durham and and bath are a*aa, so say i chose durham as my firm (if they gave me an offer), would adjustment be allowed after results day?

Just a point on that; if you are applying early for Oxbridge you don't have to decide on all 5 choices at the same time. You could apply to Oxbridge, and then later add your further choices when you've had time to do more research. (I know this is too late for you, but just a note for future applicants considering the same thing. :wink: )

And you can only go into Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer. So if Durham is A*AA and you achieve A*A*A then Adjustment become available.
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Just a point on that; if you are applying early for Oxbridge you don't have to decide on all 5 choices at the same time. You could apply to Oxbridge, and then later add your further choices when you've had time to do more research. (I know this is too late for you, but just a note for future applicants considering the same thing. :wink: )

And you can only go into Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer. So if Durham is A*AA and you achieve A*A*A then Adjustment become available.

So say I got A*A*A, could I then go into adjustment and apply for an A*AA course (same boundaries as Durham)?

And regarding your oxbridge point, you're absolutely right I realised that a little too late and our school pressured us into applying to all five schools. I was completely unaware you can apply to oxbridge and then wait until 15 Jan to add your other four choices until after I'd sent off my application.
Reply 11
Original post by df-DF
So say I got A*A*A, could I then go into adjustment and apply for an A*AA course (same boundaries as Durham)?

And regarding your oxbridge point, you're absolutely right I realised that a little too late and our school pressured us into applying to all five schools. I was completely unaware you can apply to oxbridge and then wait until 15 Jan to add your other four choices until after I'd sent off my application.

You can go into Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer.
Where you go is up to you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
You can go into Adjustment if you exceed your firm offer.
Where you go is up to you :smile:

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. Thank you very much for the advice, I'm a lot calmer now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending