The Student Room Group

When University changes your best friend

Me and my best friend were inseparable and nobody else came close to the relationship I had with her, not even my boyfriend. So before university my best friend met her current boyfriend in a Freshers' group on Facebook. They had been "exclusive" without meeting for about 6 months, and all three of us agreed to meet up at Leeds festival for the first time before we all started to study at the same university. This made sense because I was with her and he was with his friends, so I wouldn't be awkwardly third wheeling them in any way. Naturally, they were thrilled to meet each other for the first time and clicked straight away, but I noticed that he was leaving me out and encouraging her to leave me standing alone so they could hang out with his friends. At that moment I feared for life at university, hoping that her boyfriend wasn't like this all the time. Fast forward a month and it's Freshers' week. My best friend divides her time between me and her boyfriend, but when her course begins, she meets three girls doing the same degree as her and she changed in a nasty way. She was always quiet, but now was spending entire weekends away from her family home drinking and partying with her new friends and boyfriend, which is the norm for some, but so unlike her. I had met a few cool people on my course, but was too shy to spend lots of time with them. She stopped texting me, messaging me on Facebook and randomly deleted her Twitter (which we used to communicate on all the time.) Almost two months later and I've still heard nothing from her but I don't want to seem needy and constantly message her back when she's clearly content with her new social setup. I saw her today on the train but she never noticed that I was there. I realised just how much I missed her company until now. For the past two months I've been buried in studying and didn't think much about being lonely. I don't know what to do to get my best friend to talk to me again without seeming needy and desperate. Without her, I do have my boyfriend, but I don't have a proper friend. Should I just accept that she doesn't want to be my friend anymore and that she's willing to ditch years of memories for an exciting new life with a boyfriend and friends with the same interests as her? Or should I message her. Perhaps it's too late to properly tell her how I feel.

Any advice would be throughly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my best friend were inseparable and nobody else came close to the relationship I had with her, not even my boyfriend. So before university my best friend met her current boyfriend in a Freshers' group on Facebook. They had been "exclusive" without meeting for about 6 months, and all three of us agreed to meet up at Leeds festival for the first time before we all started to study at the same university. This made sense because I was with her and he was with his friends, so I wouldn't be awkwardly third wheeling them in any way. Naturally, they were thrilled to meet each other for the first time and clicked straight away, but I noticed that he was leaving me out and encouraging her to leave me standing alone so they could hang out with his friends. At that moment I feared for life at university, hoping that her boyfriend wasn't like this all the time. Fast forward a month and it's Freshers' week. My best friend divides her time between me and her boyfriend, but when her course begins, she meets three girls doing the same degree as her and she changed in a nasty way. She was always quiet, but now was spending entire weekends away from her family home drinking and partying with her new friends and boyfriend, which is the norm for some, but so unlike her. I had met a few cool people on my course, but was too shy to spend lots of time with them. She stopped texting me, messaging me on Facebook and randomly deleted her Twitter (which we used to communicate on all the time.) Almost two months later and I've still heard nothing from her but I don't want to seem needy and constantly message her back when she's clearly content with her new social setup. I saw her today on the train but she never noticed that I was there. I realised just how much I missed her company until now. For the past two months I've been buried in studying and didn't think much about being lonely. I don't know what to do to get my best friend to talk to me again without seeming needy and desperate. Without her, I do have my boyfriend, but I don't have a proper friend. Should I just accept that she doesn't want to be my friend anymore and that she's willing to ditch years of memories for an exciting new life with a boyfriend and friends with the same interests as her? Or should I message her. Perhaps it's too late to properly tell her how I feel.

Any advice would be throughly appreciated. Thanks so much.

The best thing you can do is talk to her. It's strange that she would just stop talking to you!:redface:
Reply 2
Original post by sunshine774
The best thing you can do is talk to her. It's strange that she would just stop talking to you!:redface:

Thanks so much for replying! I really want to talk to her but I'm not sure if it's too late to do so? Surely it's a bit random just telling her how I feel via Facebook messenger when neither of us have spoken in weeks.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks so much for replying! I really want to talk to her but I'm not sure if it's too late to do so? Surely it's a bit random just telling her how I feel via Facebook messenger when neither of us have spoken in weeks.

You're welcome!:h: You NEED to talk to her! The longer you leave it, the worse it will get. There must be a REASON she doesn't talk to you and you must find out what it is- for both your benefits. I hope you are able to save your friendship!:smile: Best of luck!x:biggrin:
Let her go, same thing happened to me. The best thing you can do is move on and try and find someone else. Sorry if that sounds slightly cynical.
it sounds like they've brainwashed her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending