The Student Room Group

Can I apply for more finance if I move out of family home?

Hello,

I am moving out of my family home and wondered if I could apply for higher maintenance loan? My father is retiring soon and so cannot support me financially. How would I go about applying for a higher loan or grant? Is it possible to do so even after I have received a first installment?

Thank you!
Chloe.
Original post by cleverclods
Hello,

I am moving out of my family home and wondered if I could apply for higher maintenance loan? My father is retiring soon and so cannot support me financially. How would I go about applying for a higher loan or grant? Is it possible to do so even after I have received a first installment?

Thank you!
Chloe.

Moving out doesn't make you eligible for assessment as an independent student. Getting married or having a child would,

If your household income is expected to be lower in 2016/17 than it was in 2014/15 (more than 15% drop) then your parents can complete this form: http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_cyi_1617_d.pdf

Your household income will then be reassessed based on estimated income for 16/17 tax year.

If your father is retiring late in the 16/17 tax year then it may be that the drop in income isn't enough for a reassessment but you'll be able to do the same request for reassessment in the 17/18 tax year for your 17/18 living costs loans....so next year you're more likely to be eligible than this year.
Original post by cleverclods
Hello,

Thank you!
Chloe.

Hi Chloe,

if you had originally applied for the loan with living at home you can update this to living elsewhere which will increase your loan slightly to the elsewhere rate. To do this log online and select your current application, make changes and then university/course details and then change the living location to elsewhere. We will update this for you and submit any extra payments.

Also if your household income has dropped by at least 15% then you can request this to be reassessed with a current year income form. This can be found online.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending